Cholera

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And the DR Health ministryis gearing up for the influx of patients along the frontier.

Wash hands. wash food, cleanliness is next to life in this case. Cholera is water borne, and can pass from person to person through touch...Wash, wash....boil, boil....

HB

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Numerous sources say that the old injectable vaccine is no longer available in the USA due to it only having 50% effectiveness.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You must be able to. When I lived in Singapore I used to have cholera shots. Mind you that was 40 years ago lol

matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes there is immunisation for cholera but it's not that effective against all strains. It's not recommended unless one is visiting an area affected by cholera or working directly with victims.

Cholera Immunisation | Health | Patient UK

A vaccine for cholera is available in some countries, but prophylactic usage is not currently recommended for routine use by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).[16] During recent years, substantial progress has been made in developing new oral vaccines against cholera. Two oral cholera vaccines, which have been evaluated with volunteers from industrialized countries and in regions with endemic cholera, are commercially available in several countries: a killed whole-cell V. cholerae O1 in combination with purified recombinant B subunit of cholera toxin and a live-attenuated live oral cholera vaccine, containing the genetically manipulated V. cholerae O1 strain CVD 103-HgR. The appearance of V. cholerae O139 has influenced efforts in order to develop an effective and practical cholera vaccine since none of the currently available vaccines is effective against this strain.[13] The newer vaccine (brand name: Dukoral), an orally administered inactivated whole cell vaccine, appears to provide somewhat better immunity and have fewer adverse effects than the previously available vaccine.[16] This safe and effective vaccine is available for use by individuals and health personnel. Work is under way to investigate the role of mass vaccination.[17]
Cholera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone know whether it's available in the DR?

Reactions: mike l

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
The specific info on the vaccine;

"A recently developed oral vaccine for cholera is licensed and available in other countries (Dukoral from SBL Vaccines). The vaccine appears to provide somewhat better immunity and have fewer adverse effects than the previously available vaccine. However, CDC does not recommend cholera vaccines for most travelers, nor is the vaccine available in the United States." Typical American government behavior, anything that is not recommended is not available.
CDC - Cholera: General Information - NCZVED

Jul 4, 2010
International news cables are blaming the cholera outbreak in Northern and Eastern Haiti on Vibrio cholerae strain M66-2, serotype O1, which is a particularly virulent strain of cholera. The most widely used treatment for cholera has been a single dose of tetracycline. However, it's possible that the particular infecting strain is resistant to tetracycline. Also, I find it curious to say the least, that the cholera outbreak did not start in one of the myriad refugee camps around Port au Prince, where over 1 million people survivors of the July earthquake still live.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The BBC gives the cause as "drinking contaminated river water" in St. Marc.
Just a hunch - could be that the people in the camps are in a more controlled environment than people in very poor slums. They're being taken care of international organisations that are supplying safe drinking water and providing sanitation systems, garbage collection, reasonable nutrition?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Many of the camps have "clean" water - in fact people in Port au Prince have never had so much "clean" water, I am told.
Apparently this is thanks to DINEPRA who seem to be one NGO that did what it set out to achieve.

Some people seem to be drinking out of a public canal in St Marc though - yuck!

How Fkn difficult is it to make sure people have water that nobody has crapped in????

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Fact is the Artibonite river is the source of the contamination, 2 case reported in P.A.P today, sources predict over 400.000 deaths in the next few months,Artibonite is a large river and this contamination is very fishy to me, there is something else going on here ladies and gents and it aint pretty.

Conspiracy theory? All im saying is this is not coinsidence

Reactions: mike l and Celt202

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Fact is the Artibonite river is the source of the contamination, 2 case reported in P.A.P today, sources predict over 400.000 deaths in the next few months,Artibonite is a large river and this contamination is very fishy to me, there is something else going on here ladies and gents and it aint pretty.

Conspiracy theory? All im saying is this is not coinsidence

That correct there is no coincidence, the Cholera is the result of water/food getting contaminated and then spread thought improper hygiene. Now the hygiene problem is caused by too many people, not enough clean water, not enough sewer systems/latrines, people being ignorant on how to prevent the disease....etc. Then you have flooding expanding the river taking refuse and people toilets in to the river. People drink the water and then it spreads. Remember from history how fast Cholera can spread. Hopefully medicine...etc can be delivered in time to prevent too many more deaths.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Once at the wife's family's place near Aquin I went for a wash in the river in the forest. Two kids came along with a donkey to fill up water gallons. They always filled the containers upstream of where people would wash so they got cleanish water.
Then the Donkey crapped in the stream.
Which was "OK because that was downstream of where we washed and where they filled containers."
My question was "what about the next village downstream?"
And for that matter "wasn't there a village upstream somewhere?"

Anyway, some bunch of Vietnamese came along and put in an artesian well - so that was that.

But I can totally see how this happens.

I mentioned on the other thread how I want to see how this outbrake is dealt with.
It does not have to be a biblical disaster.
There is the cash, the people and the materials to contain this problem.
Half the fkn NGOs in the whole world are set up in Haiti!

If enough effort is not made and people die for no good reason then I am going to lose faith entirely in the situation.

This, for me, is where the NGOs stand or fall.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Those are valid points but what i mean to say is the way this has been done goes back to hundreds of years, the cholera outbreak happened away from the camps, in the provinces not effected by the earthquake, where the population is lees crowded and continued to live as they lived, this outbreak was predicted to happen around the affected areas, and it did not, it happened out of the blue way out in the boondocks,frankly this makes no sense to me ,and i am suspicious off the hole thing.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
All i can say is, as i sit here in Port-au-Prince there is a beginning of panic, i arrived at a friends House in Petion-Ville to be greeted by a bottle of hand sanitizer, and a long conversation of measures to betaken to avoid getting infected, the gardener has been sent home for the time being due to his lack of understanding of germs, people were rushing to the supermarkets to buy germ killing products, can foods water and medicine, its going to be an interesting week here, i will keep you updated, should be driving to the DR next Friday for some R&R.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
- 200 people have died so far
- Almost 2,500 people have been affected by the epidemic
- The areas most affected are: Marchand Dessalines, Douin, areas
surrounding Saint Marc, Archahaie, and the Bas Plateau Central
- The Antibonite river is the source of the epidemic
- The Ministry of Heath and the Direction of Potable Water (DINEPA)
assure that the response is being coordinated
- They need water, chlorine, hygienic kits, and portable beds for the
health centers and clinics which have exceeded their capacity
- It seems the contamination originated in three turbines at the Peligre
hydroelectric station.
- It appears as if the equivalent of seven drums of contaminated liquid
per day have poured into the Antibonite River between Mirebalais and
Thomonde.
- To request assistance, please see:
http://3w.unocha.org/WhoWhatWhere/contactReportFwt1.phpuSite=ocha_haiti_earthquake&repId=10
- For information about cholera, click here:
Cholera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- For the reaction from the US Department of State, click here:
Video
- For Haitian OAS Ambassador Dully Brutus? and PAHO?s press conference,
click here: YouTube - Press Conference, Cholera situation in Haiti
- For the latest reporting on the situation, click here:
YouTube - Haiti struggles to contain cholera!