Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people still suffering in Haiti?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why are people still suffering in Haiti?

Billions of dollars have been poured into Haiti yet after reading several articles post earthquake, it appears that the situation has barely changed. People are still hungry, millions are still homeless and now there is a cholera outbreak.

Why is this so? I donated $20.00 to the red cross after the earthquake, did my money go towards feeding or clothing someone or did I just pay for a lap dance for a wealthy Haitian businessman? If this money is going towards the Haitian people then why are they still suffering ???

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Simple - it is important to keep Haiti in a mess or the industry of saving them would disappear.

Your 20US$ probably went on 40 mins SUV rental and associated admin.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Shawn your funny, I like you

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I just rented my 2004 Mazda pick up to an NGO for 3000 USD a month.

Does that answer your question?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBOY21 View Post
    I just rented my 2004 Mazda pick up to an NGO for 3000 USD a month.

Does that answer your question?
    It's actually a serious question so I'm not interested in your silly little comments. Where is all of this money going? If money is not being spent wisely should we just stop giving money and allow Haiti to self destruct? It's so frustrating dealing with Haiti as their problems carry over to the Dominican Republic.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all there is a difference between pledged money and donated money.

Furthermore, people may not understand how much it costs to feed, etc millions of people at no cost.

Finally, things won't be built after the changing of the guard of the politicians in February for obvious reasons; this I got from a client who is the cousin of Raymond Joseph.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shawn27 View Post
    It's actually a serious question so I'm not interested in your silly little comments. Where is all of this money going? If money is not being spent wisely should we just stop giving money and allow Haiti to self destruct? It's so frustrating dealing with Haiti as their problems carry over to the Dominican Republic.
    You may think my comment is silly but is illustrates the waist of money buy NGO'S, they have a fleet of 30 vehicles, do the math,what not buy second handed vehicles and ship them here, they would be tax exempt,yes NGO'S do help but are not creating a solution,and the reason for this ridiculously high amount of money spent on logistic is simple, they have a budget for the year, and if any money from that budget is left over, the next yeah they receive less,therefore on order to avoid a budget cut that make sure to spend all of it and may even find a way to make is seem as if they need more,so they find ways to basically spend more on useless things.

It is my opinion that if NGO's cease to exist in Haiti it will not self destruct but improve.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with BB that the "Republic of
    NGOs" has not helped Haiti very much.. NGOs are notoriously uncooperative with one another.. there is no central planning or reporting or accountability.

And it is true that only a percentage of the billions pledged have been given

And it is true that only a few projects have been approved.

Clinton has announced that the money is only going to go to projects which can become sustainable.. that there is going to be a sea change in how the international community deals with Haiti.. that the NGOs are not going to be able to continue their "business as usual"

But, Shawn, it is unrealistic to think that even 11 or 17 billion dollars can build an entire nation.. which needs roads, electricity, sanitation... or that a city of 3 million people can be rebuilt in a year or two with structures that might be able to withstand the next quake.

Shawn, I am sure that a portion of your $20 went to feeding some of the people in the camps.

Let us not forget that all those people are getting food and water on a regular basis.....

So, BB, does this mean that you want folks for the DR to sell you a couple more trucks? $3000 a month is three times the rental here in the DR!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    First of all there is a difference between pledged money and donated money.

Furthermore, people may not understand how much it costs to feed, etc millions of people at no cost.

Finally, things won't be built after the changing of the guard of the politicians in February for obvious reasons; this I got from a client who is the cousin of Raymond Joseph.
    So is Preval corrupt as well? It just seems so strange to me how this situation still exists.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBOY21 View Post
    You may think my comment is silly but is illustrates the waist of money buy NGO'S, they have a fleet of 30 vehicles, do the math,what not buy second handed vehicles and ship them here, they would be tax exempt,yes NGO'S do help but are not creating a solution,and the reason for this ridiculously high amount of money spent on logistic is simple, they have a budget for the year, and if any money from that budget is left over, the next yeah they receive less,therefore on order to avoid a budget cut that make sure to spend all of it and may even find a way to make is seem as if they need more,so they find ways to basically spend more on useless things.

It is my opinion that if NGO's cease to exist in Haiti it will not self destruct but improve.
    Hi, that's a better response to my original question. No one in the world should suffer from hunger and lack of shelter, I just feel that this is such a solveable issue.. If Haiti cannot end corruption they should become a cmmonwealth similar to Puerto Rico. A wealthier country will build banks and other business which will create thousands of jobs. They will build plants to address the huge problem of deforestation in Haiti so that it can slowly become a tourist center. Haiti used to be beautiful, there's no reason why it cannot slowly return to how it used to work. I think Wlclef John could've done much or Haiti as it seems like he sincerely cares about it's people.

(Please note I do not blame Haitians on cutting down trees for their natural resources as they had no other choice.)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast