Plastic Bags Melting in order to Cook Rice? Please help me.

kevadair

Nov 9, 2007
Ok longtime DR Eco Community, It seems that everyone I know in the DR throws a plastic grocery store bag over their rice at a certain point in the cooking process. It melts around the edges and the rice turns out great. When I discuss alternatives with them, they look at me like I just insulted the Virgin Mary. They say, that I've eaten the rice since I got here, and it's the only way to cook it, and I'm not dead yet, so there you go.

Has anyone been confronted with this issue? Does anyone have an easy alternative that I can offer my Dominican friends that works just as well? Or should I just resign myself to rice ala petroleum-extracts as my regular lunchtime meal?

Thanks,

Kevin

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
I have never heard of this but I spoke to a Dominican friend of mine who said that they used to do this but not anymore because it is so bad for you.

kevadair

Nov 9, 2007
They already use a lid. The plastic bag goes over the rice and under the lid. Of course it's bad for you. And I'm up to about 15 different families that still do it now in many places around the island. Nikki, what does your friend use now instead? Does she just use the lid? I lifted the lid to look at the rice and saw this melting bag there years ago. Lots of people are still doing it. Everywhere I eat, I check, everyone is doing it. I haven't a clue why. Everyone just says that it is the only way to cook rice.

I don't see the concept of buying rice steamers for every cook in the DR as an option.

If anyone is cooking rice for you, lift the lid, and see what you discover.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If anyone is cooking rice for you, lift the lid, and see what you discover.

While in the DR, my babysitter did just that and the plastic bag never melted.
I figured she does that to have the lid closed tighter and the rice cook a tad faster.
I also think it has just become an habit because I have cooked rice in the same pot and it came out just like hers.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do rice the old fashioned way; the way the Chinese do it.

MEASURE the frickin' rice.
Wash it well.
Put it in something with a lid
Add just a "tad" ( a Chinese word that means a 'little bit more) water than rice. Add salt. Taste water to test saltiness.
Turn on fire.
When big bubbles form, cover with lid, and lower fire to just a bubbling.
Leave on fire for 15-18 minutes.
Turn off fire.
Wait 18-20 minutes. Take off lid, Stir.

This does not make 'con-con'. Chinese are frugal and will not waste a grain of rice.

I use an iron pot, and I have an aluminum one for larger batches...

HB

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Ok longtime DR Eco Community, It seems that everyone I know in the DR throws a plastic grocery store bag over their rice at a certain point in the cooking process. It melts around the edges and the rice turns out great. When I discuss alternatives with them, they look at me like I just insulted the Virgin Mary. They say, that I've eaten the rice since I got here, and it's the only way to cook it, and I'm not dead yet, so there you go.

Has anyone been confronted with this issue? Does anyone have an easy alternative that I can offer my Dominican friends that works just as well? Or should I just resign myself to rice ala petroleum-extracts as my regular lunchtime meal?

Thanks,

Kevin

There are different techniques when it comes to cooking rice.
I have seen the following in the city. Instead of plastic, use fiber paper, but first the paper needs to be washed and then cover the rice with it. Or use something heavy to put on top of the pot cover.
In the country side, deep in the mountain, I have seen the following: They use plantain leaves to cover the rice.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well you need to buy 15 pots with lids, good luck.

BTW, we use a lid but in the campo plastic is used. It rarely melts so I doubt if there is any contamination.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
There is only one way to get rice to come out the none sticky way here. After years of trying different techniques I've come to this.
Wash rice under the tap for ever until water runs clear.
Put in pot
Add double water to rice ratio, touch of salt and peice of Ginger (helps stop it sticking to pan and together)
Wack heat on full blast occasionally stirring
Once boiling turn down and put the lid on slightly adjar to allow steam to escape.
10 mins later wash rice again in cold water and leave for 10 mins
Once cooled, reheat and strain
Rice comes out separate and lovely and fluffy, perfect for curry or Chinese/Thai , stir fry etc.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the banana leaf method sounds better .....hmm so plastic bags are more available than banana leaves

Jan 5, 2006
The plastic is used to seal in the steam. It is a modification of the original method, which was banana leaves. That method then evolved into a wet brown paper bag, and lastly into the plastic bag that is most commonly used today.

The reason for the sealing has to do with pot construction, and the fact that over time, the lids tend to warp from the heating and cooling process; and thus, do not seal in the steam properly.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My mother in law uses aluminum foil crimped tightly over the rice and then puts the lid over that.

AE

kevadair

Nov 9, 2007
Aluminum foil sounds much better than plastic. It also seems like something I can get people to do as an alternative without them feeling like the entire cooking process is being criticized.

Great Idea!

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Darn exactly what part of the island or region people cook this way? I've never seen that. Darn we're in the 21st century just use a lid its more sanitary only if people knew the dangerous elements and particles in plastic bags that can be applied directly over food!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Remember the most important part is to burn the rice. If there is no burnt rice aka con con then it is not done properly.

Me I do 1.5 water to 1 rice. Put rice in water with knob of butter and pinch of salt. Put lid on. Boil for 5 mins. Turn off heat. Wait 20 mins. Always perfect, but no con con. This is rice a la Delia Smith - the English will know who she is!!!

Matilda

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I do rice the old fashioned way; the way the Chinese do it.

MEASURE the frickin' rice.
Wash it well.
Put it in something with a lid
Add just a "tad" ( a Chinese word that means a 'little bit more) water than rice. Add salt. Taste water to test saltiness.
Turn on fire.
When big bubbles form, cover with lid, and lower fire to just a bubbling.
Leave on fire for 15-18 minutes.
Turn off fire.
Wait 18-20 minutes. Take off lid, Stir.

This does not make 'con-con'. Chinese are frugal and will not waste a grain of rice.

I use an iron pot, and I have an aluminum one for larger batches...

HB

excellent recipe I just need a pot with a tighter lid