Is transexpress rates calculator correct?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I was checking transexpress' rates calculator, and I noticed that an item of type "Electronicos, walkman" with a value of $100 and weight of 1 pound shipped to Santiago will cost USD $12.00.

I've read that transexpress is cheaper than EPS, so I'm wondering, is this correct?

Here's the detail:
Chargable Weight: 1.00 Lb
Shipping cost : $12.00
Customs taxes based on declared value:
Arancel: 105.00% Aprox: $105.00
TAX : 8.00% Aprox: $8.00
Delivery time:
In line cities: 1 day(s)
Off line cities: 4 day(s)

Here's the link: TransExpress - International On-line Purchases Delivery Service

Thanks.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for the post.

If the transexpress calculator shows incorrect rates, how can I get the correct shipping rates based on weight? Based on their shipping rates calculator, their cost is much higher than EPS.

Also, even if the item is less than $200, would the type of item matter? For example, would the total cost for an electronics item be more expensive than, say, a sports-related item?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
You can call them and they're very helpful. Their number in Miami is 800/325-0008. Push 1 for customer service.

They have never re-packaged my cartons, just shipped them on.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Wanted to report kudos to Transexpress. I sent two boxes from NY to Miami;and my mistake, wasn't clear on the packing slip and they thought it was hazardous material and with their customer service department I got it resolved. Then my credit card had expired, needed to update my expiration date, etc. and their credit department helped me with that one.

Great service from them; great info on their website in terms of tracking the package and the status of it from when it arrives in Miami until when it leaves for SD.

And in terms of pricing, one of my boxes weighs 32 lbs = $83.

I'm very pleased with them.

Everywhere but Sosua they deliver to your door; in Sosua it goes to the Western Union across from Playero and near Checkpoint.

Feb 7, 2007
here are the rates. BTW Vimenpaq just got MUUUCH MORE expensive than it used to be.

My packages are now almost same rate that I used to pay when I shipped with EPS.

I now use Picknsend www.picknsend.com and I highly recommend them.

Their rate is simple:
first pound RD$154
2nd pound RD$115 etc.
That is all inclusive, final rate
They round DOWN the pounds till 0.49 so 2.35 pounds is 2 pounds. With Vimenpaq/Transexpress you pay 3 pounds at thier much higher rates.

VIMENPAQ/TRANSEXPRESS

A partir del 1ro de Octubre del a?o en curso
U$5.00 ?TODO INCLUIDO!
En los paquetes de 0 a 2 libras.
Precios x libras en el flete:

3-30 libras = U$2.70
31-70 libras = U$2.50
71-100 libras = U$1.50
101 en adelante = U$1.40
*Precios no incluyen impuestos ni tr?mites aduanales para los que aplican.

These rates do not include: Manejo (RD$20 per pound), ITBIS on local costs, and shipping to interior (another RD$25 per package).

They used to be cheap, then they were not-so-cheap but OK, now they are mong the most expensive.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Thanks for the update Rubio. I just sent a question to picknsend to see how they deal with sending to the Cabarete area since on their web site they have no north coast office.

Please, post their response here. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
Thanks for the update Rubio. I just sent a question to picknsend to see how they deal with sending to the Cabarete area since on their web site they have no north coast office.

Maybe you can open their franchise up there! Worth a try! A local franchise in Higuey is a video (DVD) rental store.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
here are the rates. BTW Vimenpaq just got MUUUCH MORE expensive than it used to be.

My packages are now almost same rate that I used to pay when I shipped with EPS.

I now use Picknsend Inicio and I highly recommend them.

Their rate is simple:
first pound RD$154
2nd pound RD$115 etc.
That is all inclusive, final rate
They round DOWN the pounds till 0.49 so 2.35 pounds is 2 pounds. With Vimenpaq/Transexpress you pay 3 pounds at thier much higher rates.

VIMENPAQ/TRANSEXPRESS

A partir del 1ro de Octubre del a?o en curso
U$5.00 ?TODO INCLUIDO!
En los paquetes de 0 a 2 libras.
Precios x libras en el flete:

3-30 libras = U$2.70
31-70 libras = U$2.50
71-100 libras = U$1.50
101 en adelante = U$1.40
*Precios no incluyen impuestos ni tr?mites aduanales para los que aplican.

These rates do not include: Manejo (RD$20 per pound), ITBIS on local costs, and shipping to interior (another RD$25 per package).

They used to be cheap, then they were not-so-cheap but OK, now they are mong the most expensive.

Thanks for the information.

My only doubt is how cost of customs is added to their total cost.

For example, aeropost charges $2.70/lb, which is good. But then they add the US $2 'manejo aduanal' which totals $4.70.

Transexpress does the same thing: they have a fixed price/lb, but they clearly say "Precios no incluyen impuestos ni tr?mites aduanales para los que aplican.".

EPS includes it in their cost, but a 1lb package costs over USD $5.00.

I know everything goes through customs, but does picknsend have it hidden, or is the customs fee included in their cost per pound?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
did transexpress charges go up suddenly, got a bit of a shock when ordering something I had ordered before - previous price usd 19 ....todays price usd 32

have they got a different way of calculating now, as I cant remember the prices from last september

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, their per pound rate went up. They also charge "deliver into interior" of RD$25 per package. they also charge handling fee of 20 pesos per pound. they charge ITBIS on handling fee and customs fee and anything that is not the per pound freight fee. The customs fee is 5 pesos per pound. They round up even 0.01 over pound into the next higher pound. If your box number is illegible or printed incorrectly or missing they charge 100 pesos "find" fee. Sum up.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
looks like they just lost my business- I was a fan of theirs

im sure the starting weight for the minimum price used to be higher than 2 lbs- now usd 12