The day of the dead, 1st Monday November?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Anyone do the candle thing for this, is all a little creepy for me but I expect some of you older ones might have loved ones you might miss on this day and feel integrated enough to take part, anyone?

Reactions: Tamborista

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Maybe some of us should be liting a candle for you, you are becoming a bit creepy yourself.

I don't understand, how am I being creepy?

I am asking if expats take part in the lighting if candles and family get together to remember those close ones who have left this life. If you walk around the likes of la caleta, on this evening and see the candles in the windows of every house, people wandering around with candles visiting each others homes to visit each others dead you will see what I mean by creepy.

How have I become creepy?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
by the way -its no stranger than bonfire night, making a likeness of guy fawkes and burning it on a bonfire

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I don't understand, how am I being creepy?

?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8yBGPo3wko0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8yBGPo3wko0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Mar 2, 2008
Guy Fawkes is one thing, and Screaming Jay Hawkins (not to be confused with Steven) is another, but Anastacio brings creepy to a whole new level.

I guess that is to be admired at this time of year.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lay off Anastacio, what's wrong with asking about Day of the Dead?

The main custom I've noticed is going to the cemetery to visit loved one's graves, give them a bit of a clean and leave flowers. None of the colourful paraphenalia you get in Mexico, unfortunately.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Creepy?lol, can you guys not come up with something a bit more fitting? I can think of several names people may feel they could associate with a few of my threads. Creepy? Nah, if you are going to put me out there as fair game, at least make sense in what you say otherwise you might come across as slightly ------.
I'll leave the blanks for those into name calling, not my bag thanks!

Thanks Chiri, it doesn't make sense or fit so isn't offensive at all, quite amusing the haters are so unimaginative actually.:cheeky:

Reactions: Bronxboy

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i miss being in poland that day. 1st of november is a national holiday and everyone goes to the cemetery to light a candle on the grave of loved ones and on the graves of those who are forgotten. this lasts all day and late into the night and because it gets dark early the atmosphere is quite unique.
here are few fotos to illustrate that:

2uiis6g.jpg

mjpd36.jpg

these are from my home city...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
i miss being in poland that day. 1st of november is a national holiday and everyone goes to the cemetery to light a candle on the grave of loved ones and on the graves of those who are forgotten. this lasts all day and late into the night and because it gets dark early the atmosphere is quite unique.
here are few fotos to illustrate that:

2uiis6g.jpg

mjpd36.jpg

That's actually really pretty in a strange creepy way, really nice photo, maybe give some of those who obviously opened their mouths before thinking an idea of what I mean by creepy for me. Eiry, spooky whatever your interpretation is it looks like not many take part here.
Thanks for sharing the pic, nice!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Wow dv8, that looks just like the cemeteries in Italy. Families actually go to the cemetery and have picnics there on Nov 1st. Lovely photos.

AE

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
people think that talking about death is creepy because it reminds them about their own, unavoidable passing. this is sad because it is death itself what makes life so unique and precious. we have a limited time here on earth and so often we forget to use it well...
dominicans, i have noticed, like death, if i can put it that way. they read news about deaths with most interest and they discuss deaths at great lengths: who, when, how, why. they talk about diseased friends and family members and they remember them lovingly. this is something seldom seen in a western world where death is a taboo.
but alas, no candles on the first of november. i really like our polish custom of bringing the light to all the graves, even the old and forgotten ones that are nothing but a small pile of earth with a crooked cross. this is a way of saying that we do remember the dead and that we do remember we will be one of them one day. or maybe, like a polish poet said once, the weight of flowers and candles is there to "break the underground chain of hands, embracing the earth"?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
For me the creepiness isn't in the idea of dying or others dying, I am quite happy to know that I will not be on this planet for eternity(that isn't meant to sound depressing, but who wants to live forever).
The creepiness is in the idea people talk to people who are dead, believe they are going to visit the house on thar special night. For me, death is death, once gone that's it, no afterlife, spirit to move on or guide us through our own lives etc. I respect everyone elses beliefs on this, infact I wish my true beliefs were different, I could often do with a chat with my old uncle or my grandparents.
Maybe creepy wasn't the correct word to use, but I can't think of a better one right now.