Tourist Resort Jobs....

Badoo

Oct 7, 2010
Hello,

I am just wondering where I can find out if the tourist resorts have jobs available? I am fluent in Spanish and English. I have hotel experience.

Is there any way I can find out? Is it difficult to find or get a job there?

Any information would be helpful.

Thank You.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your best bet is to be hired by one of the chains outside of the DR. As a local hire the pay is peanuts and you need to use your (pea)nuts and bolt to earn a living as a sankie.

If you can get a job with Riu or Melli?....or have outstanding credentials, you "might" get something here...but don't bet on it..

HB

Badoo

Oct 7, 2010
Your best bet is to be hired by one of the chains outside of the DR. As a local hire the pay is peanuts and you need to use your (pea)nuts and bolt to earn a living as a sankie.

If you can get a job with Riu or Melli?....or have outstanding credentials, you "might" get something here...but don't bet on it..

HB

Thank You. Do you know any besides Marriott and Hilton? Any ideas where I can look? I am going to school there so I need to find something to pass my time. I am from the US.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Another daydreamer fantasizing about island paradise life another potential non-dominican foreigner who will come to the realization of exactly how different and difficult it is to live in the DR. Its probably some dude trying to score with as many chicas as he can in the short term!!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Thank You. Do you know any besides Marriott and Hilton? Any ideas where I can look? I am going to school there so I need to find something to pass my time. I am from the US.

Where is your school?
You are American? Stand a slight chance of getting a job in a hotel but I doubt it. Try the student cafes and snack bars on Sarasota, you'd fit in there and they hire young dudes, pay about 100 pesos an hour, plus tips, and there are loads of rich Young totty to impress with your frothy top!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
write Your Curiculum Vidae and send it to different resorts.
don't forget to mention any present special Skills, copies of papers from prior Resorts.
of course only if you really are sure to be ready for a good manager job etc.
if this is for some kinda job as receptionist, Water, Animation Clown or such then your only chance is to pass by a Resort in Person with all Your Papers at Hand when they have their "Employment day", that's when a few Hundred Persons stay on the street in line at the Gate for the Employees Entrance of a Resort in hope to get lucky to be allowed to hand over their Curiculum to somebody there.
Fluent in Spanish and English, Huh?
each of My 20+ Kids speak 3 Languages before they start to learn 'Foreign' Languages in school then.
in which Field/Fields of resort Management/Hoteleria do You have experiences?
good Luck
Mike

btw,
if You plan to go to school in the DR most likely You may not live near any Big Tourist Area, best schools are Found in the Capital and Santiago,
Toursism is found at other Places

LIZ87

Sep 7, 2010
Hello Mike,

I have to thank you very much for your insight, I appreciate it much.

I am originally from the US so the format we use might be different than the one in DR. Is it the same way a resume is written?

I am fluent in Spanish and English. I worked at a hotel here in NJ so I do have experience. I worked at the front desk as a guest service representative. I am open to any position as long as I am not a animation clown or such. I would do a server or waiter or anything along those lines.

Yes, I will be attending school in Santo Domingo. I am sure school won't be every day of the week so something to occupy my time and make some extra money would be nice.

Any information given would be appreciated.

L

write Your Curiculum Vidae and send it to different resorts.
don't forget to mention any present special Skills, copies of papers from prior Resorts.
of course only if you really are sure to be ready for a good manager job etc.
if this is for some kinda job as receptionist, Water, Animation Clown or such then your only chance is to pass by a Resort in Person with all Your Papers at Hand when they have their "Employment day", that's when a few Hundred Persons stay on the street in line at the Gate for the Employees Entrance of a Resort in hope to get lucky to be allowed to hand over their Curiculum to somebody there.
Fluent in Spanish and English, Huh?
each of My 20+ Kids speak 3 Languages before they start to learn 'Foreign' Languages in school then.
in which Field/Fields of resort Management/Hoteleria do You have experiences?
good Luck
Mike

btw,
if You plan to go to school in the DR most likely You may not live near any Big Tourist Area, best schools are Found in the Capital and Santiago,
Toursism is found at other Places

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Have you said where your school is yet. Like mike said you won't find both within travelling distance if each other, and if you do land a job you will be expected to be there at least 5 days a week 9-12 hours. You won't get a waiting job, simply because you are not wanted or needed. Flexi time doesn't exist in bottom end work here, you either work thx hours given or are replaced within hours.
From what you have said you are basically a receptionist? Even less chance, lots of beautiful girls who speak a few languages here to do that.

Sorry, I've never come across an American waiter in a hotel here, and never expect to.

I wish you luck, but as I said, your chances are slim to none.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Anastacio is right on that.
while it was the opposite 10 years or so ago,
Today's Foreign receptionists are a Rare occurance, they exist, yes, but a rare spezies. Dominican Front desk workers have usually a base of at least 3 Languages, not always fluent in those, but the Variety for communications makes the Deal on such Job in a Tourist Area where the Guests come from absolutely All around the Globe. Payments for such job on average range10-18K Pesos per Month, I would never have heard of Part Time Jobs for such at the Resorts, it is Full Time Jobs, so You would not be able to attend a real school aside such Job.
similar for Guest Services Jobs, just here often more Languages are required and need to be spoken and written better, payment ranges the same, shifts of 10-12 hrs are not out of the ordinary.
and then the Locations.
the DR South Shore around Juan Dolio and Boca Chica is Today's not in it's best Shape sorrily, name it a Deep Recession that happened there since a decade and still not stopped the Run Downhill.
in a Large Tourist Area like Punta Cana on the far East you may not find the Kind of School or Univercity etc You plan to visit, and anyways the mainpoint is:
such Resort Jobs would not allow to attend a real school aside of such Timeintensive Job.
Tourism is a treatmill, on this Isle as a Employee You always work much longer Hours for much less money than usual in the US or any western European Country.

for a Curriculum Vitae you find the appropriate examples here
Modelo Curr?culum
they are perfectly suitable for this Country.

good luck
Mike