If you're a tourist and you still think you can drive in The DR...

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Reactions: mike l

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
So what happens when a "tourist" gets in an accident with a hired driver? Is there insurance (probably not I'm thinking)? I know in Cuba if a national is hurt then you both go to jail til it's figured out....

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Yup that's why I always hire a driver. I thought NYC was bad..

I don't trust any other drivers here, fine for dotting around the city in traffic but on longer trips where I get the foot down there is only one person I trust with my and my families life.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i've been a driver for money for most of my adult life. worked my way thru college driving a taxi in Boston, drove tractor trailers for a good while, drove stretch limos in and out of NYC, i know the road. i live in SD, my mother in law lives between POP and Santiago so i'm forced to make this trip often. on every trip there is always at least one close call that almost gives me a heart attack, be it with a donkey, truck, drunk, speeder, or some other idiot. every trip, whether or not i drive or someone else does, i no longer enjoy the ride.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I find it amusing that some people harp so much about how dangerous driving in the DR is, and make it clear that the main reason is crazy Dominican drivers; then their "solution" is to hire a Dominican to drive for them.

I understand that there are some highly professional and experienced drivers in the DR who do a great job. If you have any reservations whatsoever about your own ability to drive safely, you should definately look into hiring one who has a good reputation. Personally, whether it is here in the US or in the DR, I trust myself behind the wheel more than I would anyone I could hire.

Those statistics are meaningless. When you consider the other ways healthy tourists could die, should it be a surprise that traffic accidents top the list? Also interesting that despite way fewer tourists, more die from traffic accidents in Thailand.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Those statistics are meaningless. When you consider the other ways healthy tourists could die, should it be a surprise that traffic accidents top the list? Also interesting that despite way fewer tourists, more die from traffic accidents in Thailand.

I presumed it was a given fact that more tourists die in road accidents than any other way, worldwide this is the same. I don't find here particularly dangerous in comparison to other countries I've driven and I would bet money they have more moto accidents and tourist deaths on the road in most Spanish island destinations, Greek island destinations infact any place that gathers young foolish people having a break, this country doesnt really offer that kind of thing and so I expect it is much lower here.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
All the more reason to be *prepared* when choosing to drive in the DR. Mitigate your risk and understand the written...and more importantly, the unwritten...road of the road and road culture.

We wrote a piece on navigating the roads in the DR. While written for motersickel riders it is as accurate for drivers of cars. The link from one of our blogs: Two Wheels in Paradise

Reactions: Lucille
Apr 3, 2009
According to an article from USAToday "Road deaths are the No. 1 risk to tourists ? ahead of terrorism, plane crashes and infectious diseases". The DR is ranked third in terms of highest numbers of road fatalities only behind Mexico and Thailand...
Great article.

Thanks,
BB :bunny:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few reflecions on driving in DR

first some facts: i have never driven a car prior to moving to DR. i have a motion sickness and then my parents do not have a car so i saw no point in learning how to drive. i learnt to drive in DR and i got my first and only license here. in a first week i crashed miesposo's car into another jeep on a parking lot :) that put me off driving for a while. but my family insisted on me getting on the road so much they eventually got me a car, small one.

now, at first i was reluctant to drive. motos, lack of rules, all the mess. but now i drive. occasionally. and i am fine. i go my pace, slow in the city, faster when i have an empty road. i look in the mirrors. i look at all sides. i look ten times before turning or even changing the line.
but i cannot drive at night. i have myopia and i simply cannot see all that well in the dark. and i cannot park so i only stop in the place i can easily leave even if it means a longer walk.

my main point here is: if someone has driven the car for 20 years in any large city anywhere in the world, in all types of weather and in all seasons - they should have no problem driving in DR. no problem at all. just follow two simple rules:
always look in mirrors.
and most importantly NEVER TRUST OTHER DRIVERS. do not expect them to stop, turn, slow down, speed up. do not think they can see you, they can or cannot turn, stop or start. never trust the bastards. never.

Reactions: AnnaC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dominicans have a peculiar way of driving that will irritate most foreigners. That being said they are very defensive drivers. I wouldn't be surprised that most of the accidents happened at night and were alcohol related. Therefore, don't be out late at night and don't drink and drive here.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Therefore, don't be out late at night and don't drink and drive here.

Funny you should say that. When I lived on the northcoast it was obligatory for expats to have drank at least 3 times their personal limit before attempting to drive a vehicle.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I've lived in the Caribbean over 5 years, 1.5 of those in the DR. In Trinidad we drive on the left side of the road. That took some getting used to but the drivers aren't as crazy as here.

What bothers me the most about driving in the DR is that nobody follows the rules... at all. When driving in the States you can pretty much assume everyone will follow the same set of rules, but here there are none. The only rule I know of is to assume the other driver is going to hit you.

There's this collective mentality where everyone believes that everyone else is looking out for them. They just pull their car right in front of you because they "know" you were expecting them to do so and you will slow down accordingly. The weird left turn where they turn in behind the waiting cars definitely took some getting used to. What infuriates me in Punta Cana is that on the road out to the airport there are traffic circles.... and the Dominicans don't understand how they work. They think the person in the circle has to wait for the approaching traffic that is entering the circle. WTF!!!! I've almost been hit by a bus on several occasions.

Basically it's all about defensive driving. Assume everyone is an idiot and doesn't know how to drive and is probably drunk. Always assume the others drivers don't see you and will probably run into you.

That said, I trust myself much more than I would trust a Dominican driving my car.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
As a tourist, I trust an experienced Dominican driver lot more than myself since he understands and is used to the unspoken rules or no-rules in his country (of course he has to drive his own car).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Insanely One - I'm with you on those roundabouts (what we Brits call traffic circles). No-one has a clue. Some follow the convention that you give way (yield) to the left, others go by the assumption that the vehicle on the main road has preference, but most observe the rule that states that the fastest, meanest and biggest goes first.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the weirdness of it all is that you'll see a guy driving like a maniac, assume he must be high on something, goes nuts to be first at the next traffic light and then when you get up next to him at the light, and look over to see who it is, it's some 55 year old bald fat guy with a big smile and kids in the car. no road rage, no anger, it's just an idiot. my wife only knows, "floor it" or brake, just like on an electric stove she does not understand medium heat. good point by cobraboy about the big buses, caribe tours, these guys think they're in a 747 but drive it like an F-16.
in the US the worst are female school bus drivers,,,,,,"i have "the children" i can't do anything wrong"..........

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I've lived in the Caribbean over 5 years, 1.5 of those in the DR. In Trinidad we drive on the left side of the road. That took some getting used to but the drivers aren't as crazy as here.

What bothers me the most about driving in the DR is that nobody follows the rules... at all. When driving in the States you can pretty much assume everyone will follow the same set of rules, but here there are none. The only rule I know of is to assume the other driver is going to hit you.

There's this collective mentality where everyone believes that everyone else is looking out for them. They just pull their car right in front of you because they "know" you were expecting them to do so and you will slow down accordingly. The weird left turn where they turn in behind the waiting cars definitely took some getting used to. What infuriates me in Punta Cana is that on the road out to the airport there are traffic circles.... and the Dominicans don't understand how they work. They think the person in the circle has to wait for the approaching traffic that is entering the circle. WTF!!!! I've almost been hit by a bus on several occasions.

Basically it's all about defensive driving. Assume everyone is an idiot and doesn't know how to drive and is probably drunk. Always assume the others drivers don't see you and will probably run into you.

That said, I trust myself much more than I would trust a Dominican driving my car.

You are so wrong on all fronts I don't even know where to begin, while is true nobody follows the rule, that same fact also makes Dominicans way more skillful behind the wheel than most NA I've seen here.

There is a set of non-written rules that anybody which a sense of understanding will pick up in a couple of months driving in the DR. It is obvious that you did not. Here in USA I've witnessed the most stupid accidents ever, because nobody is expecting the worst and get caught by surprise without knowing what hit them. Dominicans driving are extremely aware of their surroundings as some long time expats will assure you. How about next time you focus on learning the non-written rules instead of bitching and whining...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Dominicans have a peculiar way of driving that will irritate most foreigners. That being said they are very defensive drivers. I wouldn't be surprised that most of the accidents happened at night and were alcohol related. Therefore, don't be out late at night and don't drink and drive here.

Actually Chip the majority of Accidents are motorcycle related. Drunk driving accidents in the DR are really rare. Racing accidents are another story though...

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Fly me to the moon

Actually Chip the majority of Accidents are motorcycle related. Drunk driving accidents in the DR are really rare. Racing accidents are another story though...

I flew home years ago and Fernando Blandino was in the seat next to me(first class of course..lol..)..as most of you know he owns alot of funeral homes in Santo Domingo, and did say Mortorcycle accidents are number one. He said you wouldn't believe how many.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
How noble of you...

You are so wrong on all fronts I don't even know where to begin, while is true nobody follows the rule, that same fact also makes Dominicans way more skillful behind the wheel than most NA I've seen here.

There is a set of non-written rules that anybody which a sense of understanding will pick up in a couple of months driving in the DR. It is obvious that you did not. Here in USA I've witnessed the most stupid accidents ever, because nobody is expecting the worst and get caught by surprise without knowing what hit them. Dominicans driving are extremely aware of their surroundings as some long time expats will assure you. How about next time you focus on learning the non-written rules instead of bitching and whining...

Dude, GET REAL.....Dominican drivers are rude, reckless, non caring maniacs..(and if they see your a gringo....FUGEDABOUDIT)...that ain't skill kiddo..........RELAX no one is picking on your country, just stating opinions and experiences......ya I've been driving there since 1994....lived there for a year........seen it, been there, done it......it's a good thing I have alot of experience with video games .......