The Haiti on a Positive Light Thread

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Look, I'm not much of a doom gloom type of guy, I think every problem has a realistic solution, not always the quickest, easiest and nicest solution, but it's a solution. Even with Haiti, which many people have written off as not salvageable (that was before the quake, so...), I see tremendous potential for a light at the end of the tunnel, a very long tunnel, but the end none-the-less.

For that reason, let's make this thread atypical as far as media regarding Haiti is concerned.

I'll start with one positive news.

The most recent corruption perception index includes Haiti as one of the few countries that have improved in this regard during the past year.

20101030_WOM500.gif

Corruption perceptions: The usual suspects | The Economist

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Good things about Haiti would be - Pumpkin soup, Compas, Bouillon, Nickenson Prudhomme, Picklies, Barbancourt, Diesel 3 bucks per gal etc...

But the best thing it has going for it is that it is next to the D.R.

Good luck with this thread!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The real hope for Haiti is apart from the obvious need that the donor nations put up the money they promised is that the Haitians living in the exterior return home and bring their skills, true patriotism and values they learned from other countries and apply it at home. At some point the old guard will realize they are in a new era and what "flew" before is now a dead bird without wings.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And you know what?

From what I have seen, expat Haitians who come back have a real edge.

Most have lived with solid institutions, some law and order, with the American dream - they know what they should expect from a country.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I think that it is inevitable that the Diaspora will return, and that the Constitution will be amended accordingly. One of the casualties of the January 12th earthquake is that a very significant number of Haitian professionals died. That loss of knowledge and expertise can and should be compensated for by the Diaspora.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Denis O'Brien, the billionaire chairman of Digicel and the largest foreign investor in Haiti, says that the country is a great place to invest filled with opportunities!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VEUmnGU6dhY?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VEUmnGU6dhY?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>