Mar 14, 2002
He wants to be President again. Two requests for comments:

1) What would happen if he were to win?

2) How likely is he to win?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I guess we can assume that this is no longer the "beta" version?

All the politicians here are corrupt at this level, what are we supposed to do about(citizens anyway)?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

1) Who knows but it can't be much worst.

2) He stands a good chance of winning.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My perredeista friends say that Hippo is "el candidato del gobierno" i.e. they would prefer him to win as he would be easier for the PLD to defeat. But I don't see why they should be afraid of the other option, who I would say was equally easy to defeat. Where else does a party consider putting up a candidate who has already lost an election?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
My perredeista friends say that Hippo is "el candidato del gobierno" i.e. they would prefer him to win as he would be easier for the PLD to defeat. But I don't see why they should be afraid of the other option, who I would say was equally easy to defeat. Where else does a party consider putting up a candidate who has already lost an election?

Well the fear of Peledeistas is that since Leonel may not run again (notice I didn't say will not) they could be defeated as there's really no other true leader within the PLD. Jaime David could have been, but he's been relegated to enviromental minister. Leonel has followed Balaguer's old script to the tee and as such has achieved the cult of personality he's been wanting for a while, so nowadays nobody else can run as a PLD candidate and win. Maybe if he puts his full support behind the candidate elected (i.e. his wife) and all the government's money to buy votes, etc will allow The PLD to win again.

Hippo will have a very hard time winning anything (even the nomination of his party).

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

He would not win. The PLD campaign machine is pushing for Hipolito to run again, they know he would be an easy defeat. It is a shame that the PRD is trying to support Hipolito after what he did to the country in four years.

In the other side the PLD is trying that Leonel runs again, but according to the constitution, it is illegal, if he does. It is even worst that there is not any other politician from any other party who can debate with Leoner in a cohesive manner who can show to the population what an empty suit Leonel is.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Well the fear of Peledeistas is that since Leonel may not run again (notice I didn't say will not) they could be defeated as there's really no other true leader within the PLD. Jaime David could have been, but he's been relegated to enviromental minister. Leonel has followed Balaguer's old script to the tee and as such has achieved the cult of personality he's been wanting for a while, so nowadays nobody else can run as a PLD candidate and win. Maybe if he puts his full support behind the candidate elected (i.e. his wife) and all the government's money to buy votes, etc will allow The PLD to win again.

Hippo will have a very hard time winning anything (even the nomination of his party).

God help us if Lionel's wife gets in.

As for Hyppo, he is leading in his party right now but a lot of people are pushing for Abinader. The only way the PRD would loose the presidential would be if they ran Maldonado.