If you had two days to go somewhere?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Considering heading off on Friday afternoon and returning on Sunday. Where would you go on a mini road trip? And why?

We have a child, fast car, and are on a tight budget. I'd like to head up the Haiti border for some reason, is there anything up there that would justify my curiosity to explore. Am also very curious in jarabacoa, any economy lodgings up there that suit the landscapes? Done most of the north so not interested in there.
Anyone? Am open to ideas, have no specifics

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From Santo Domingo? Constanza would be good. Good roads. Awesome scenery.
OR: Jarabacoa, also good roads and just a bit further.
OR: San Juan de la Maguana. Most of the roads are excellent. What to see? Circulo de los Indios. Relax in a real Dominican town. Cathedral is nice. Park is nice. Way off the beaten track.
OR: Bah?a de las Aguilas and Lago Enriquillo....this can be done on a shoestring. Do a search here...lots of really good info...

HB

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Jarabacoa is great for the type of brief getaway you are talking about. If the budget is tight, I recommend the hotel Brizas del Yaque. Under RD1000/night last time I was there for a nice clean room.

Jan 5, 2006
I would recommend Jarabacoa. There are houses for rent, that are fully furnished and have a pool, 2 minutes from the center of town, which would be great for a family on a tight budget.

We stayed there a few years back, but I don't remember the name of the place. Hopefully someone who's local can provide you with the contact info, so that you can get further details.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Jarabacoa is great for the type of brief getaway you are talking about. If the budget is tight, I recommend the hotel Brizas del Yaque. Under RD1000/night last time I was there for a nice clean room.

From Brizas del Yaque it's only 4 kms to the Jarabacoa River Club. Personally I would stay at the Grand Jimenoa - around 1200 per night. I have a rate thing at home I'll check with actual prices. Good restaurant, nice pool, beautiful gardens, rooms are clean and nice,...etc. Brizas de Yaque is right in the center of town with secure parking, and a short walk to restaurants....etc.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
SW from the capital:

San Jose de Ocoa (up in the mountains) and Palmar de Ocoa (nice beaches) - both places I have never visited and would love to visit.

Barahona - some OK hotels on the Malecon or on the road towards Para?so, as a base for visiting Lake Enriquillo and surrounding area.

North from the capital
Jarabacoa or Constanza - cool mountain air and change of scene.

E/NE from the capital
Sabana de la Mar - stay at Ca?o Hondo and take the Los Haitises trip

Saman? - the loveliest part of the DR.

Just a few ideas - it really depends what you're after.

Buen viaje!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
No smartphone for U !!!

SW from the capital:

San Jose de Ocoa (up in the mountains) and Palmar de Ocoa (nice beaches) - both places I have never visited and would love to visit.

Barahona - some OK hotels on the Malecon or on the road towards Para?so, as a base for visiting Lake Enriquillo and surrounding area.

North from the capital
Jarabacoa or Constanza - cool mountain air and change of scene.

E/NE from the capital
Sabana de la Mar - stay at Ca?o Hondo and take the Los Haitises trip

Saman? - the loveliest part of the DR.

Just a few ideas - it really depends what you're after.

Buen viaje!

Good to hear, I promise myself next time to visit other places, but I just keep on going back, I am in love :eek:

Jan 5, 2006
The Barahona area is absolutely gourgeous; however, don't expect much in terms of variety of accomodations. You can venture out to a few different beaches, Lago Enriquillo, and the town of Neyba, while there.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Chiri, that lake is something I've been wanting to visit, could be a goer. Thanks again, your becoming a right little chiripedia for me on here!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The SW, while magnificent, will entail a lot of driving....not sure how old your child is and if that will be a factor. We have been to see the border towns of both Jimani and Pedernales....interesting but not sure what you will do there.

If you do venture that way, you can get to a lot of the previously mentioned attractions and base yourselves in Barahona which is a nice little town.

Enjoy.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You could make a stop over in Bani and visit the dunes, the salt mines, etc...and there are beaches around there too (not the greatest, but good enough)...then from there drive up to San Jose de Ocoa as suggested above.

If you've never been to Samana area that would be my first suggestion. With the new highway you can get there relatively quickly and easily then you could spend a day in Playa Rincon (one of the best beaches in the whole wide world) and eat some of the best tasting seafood right there (if that old lady is still cooking in her little shack).

Then another day you could go up to las Terrenas or some of the other areas around there. I would have suggested the Limon waterfalls, but not practical with a young kid.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
For mountains, Jarabacoa or Constanza. Jarabacoa has better restaurants that cater to foreigners though.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Read your posts, you come across as very hyper and unsure of yourself.

I am a little hyper at times, I have a lot of energy, That's a good thing not a bad thing, am also human and so don't know everything and so yes, I'm unsure of many things, even myself at times although I don't see examples of this in my postings.

So being human and having a lot of energy makes me mental? Christ, I bet you're a bundle of laughs to be around:eek:gre:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I am a little hyper at times, I have a lot of energy, That's a good thing not a bad thing, am also human and so don't know everything and so yes, I'm unsure of many things, even myself at times although I don't see examples of this in my postings.

So being human and having a lot of energy makes me mental? Christ, I bet you're a bundle of laughs to be around:eek:gre:

i like you :)
speaking like a one lunatic to another - maybe ditch the family and do something like pico duarte, just by yourself. i think maybe you need some time off from family life. i know i do, sometimes.