Hard Drive

propertyflipper

Oct 27, 2010
Hello,

First time posting, hope that I am in the correct area for my question..

I am in need of a hard Drive for my OS..I understand that there is a store in Santo Domingo on 27, not sure of the name or the exact location but its very popular...Can anyone possibly assist me in finding it today. Also, if you happen to be good with computers, my HD ID is ST3160023AS for an HP Pentium 4 model M1070N 512 7200 RPM...and wondering if I can add a better/faster hard drive...Sorry for the lack of location for this store, but I think its close to Serina but on 27, don't know the area that well..

Sigh,,thanks in advance!!

PF

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Hello,

First time posting, hope that I am in the correct area for my question..

I am in need of a hard Drive for my OS..I understand that there is a store in Santo Domingo on 27, not sure of the name or the exact location but its very popular...Can anyone possibly assist me in finding it today. Also, if you happen to be good with computers, my HD ID is ST3160023AS for an HP Pentium 4 model M1070N 512 7200 RPM...and wondering if I can add a better/faster hard drive...Sorry for the lack of location for this store, but I think its close to Serina but on 27, don't know the area that well..

Sigh,,thanks in advance!!

PF
You need to know if it's IDE or SATA...

JJ

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
my HD ID is ST3160023AS for an HP Pentium 4 model M1070N 512 7200 RPM...and wondering if I can add a better/faster hard drive...
PF

Your hard drive (HD) is already spinning at the optimum speed (7200 RPM) . A higher rpm means higher drive performance. The only improvements are:

For speed:
Increase cache buffer capacity to 32MB. The current cache buffer for your existing HD (ST3160023AS) is 8 Mbytes. Buffer Cache Size is a temporary data storage area used to enhance drive performance. When the computer requests data from the hard disk if that data is in the cache, there is a performance boost directly related to the speed of the cache. Larger buffer cache size usually results in better hard drive performance.

For Capacity: Increase HD size.

However, best money-wise upgrade for speed is to increase your PC's RAM. RAM, or Random Access Memory, is the place in a computer where the operating system, application programs and data in current use are kept so that they can be quickly reached by the computer's processor. The amount of RAM you have affects how quickly you will experience your computer working. Right now you have 512mb- increase to the maximum your motherboard will allow.

P.S. time for a new PC

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am sure his motherboard will allow more ram. put on more ram, like 2 gig in 2 strips. Do not buy western digital drives as some have some manufacturing defects (my experience). I would buy seagate or anything but western digital. Then after you have your sata hard drive, 7200 RPM, get someone to install windows xp on your system.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ijust love it when you guys talk Tech!!!! I learn a lot!!!

My computer guru in Sos?a boosted my son's laptop to double the RAM...Now that put off the purchase of a new one for perhaps a year.!!

This really is good info, you guys..

HB

bostonsteve

Oct 24, 2010
i agree with azt regarding western digital drives-also avoid maxtor{total junk}. be sure to corectly partition your new hd to ensure full usage of capacity. a 500gig drive would suffice. After u install xp (another goog idea by azt) u might want to get really adventureous and dowload and install the ubunto os,make your machine a dual boot.ubunto is generally a hack-free os, a big concern. also install good antivirus and a good free app called malwarebytes. hope this helps

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Yes WD is crap.If your good on the net you can find a lite version on windows xp.Get a program that fixes registry problems /cleans pc and defrag your hard drive every once an a while.If your only running a few programs and are a mild computer user a ram upgrade will do.If your a gamer time for a new pc.I say build your pc to suit your needs.If you do upgrade your pc check out The HyperDrive5 here HyperOs Systems.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I agree, time for a new pc.
AZB
You like to spend too much money in technology unnecessary, if it's fixable with a few bucks. why to change it?

$$$$$:paranoid:

JJ

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Im guessing you still use dial up as well.you can fix the hardware and it will run great if the software never changes.Think about all the service packs, add-ons and updates just for windows alone.Unfortunately the newer software will make your system obsolete within a few years,basic tasks will become a headache and youll have to get a new pc anyway .Short term fix (get new hardrive /upgrade ram) vs long term (upgrade to new pc)I personally dont have the time or patience to deal with a slow as mollases system.Question is how much is your time worth to you?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Im guessing you still use dial up as well.you can fix the hardware and it will run great if the software never changes.Think about all the service packs, add-ons and updates just for windows alone.Unfortunately the newer software will make your system obsolete within a few years,basic tasks will become a headache and youll have to get a new pc anyway .Short term fix (get new hardrive /upgrade ram) vs long term (upgrade to new pc)I personally dont have the time or patience to deal with a slow as mollases system.Question is how much is your time worth to you?

Thanks for saving me a post.
bachata, this would have been my answer as well.
AZB

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Thanks for saving me a post.
bachata, this would have been my answer as well.
AZB
All theses junk are getting me crazy!!! I think is better to play dominoes than this.
GEDC0836.jpg

haha

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
AZB the reazon I post this pic is; check all theses screens, which one do you think has the best image and resolution?
The newer one, the stupid rectangular with malformed pictures and texst.... or the old models 17" monitors that you don't find anymore in the computer stores reason for what I bought the new technology that now is packed in is original box to be post in craigslist..
the first one I bought was a 21" compaq and turned it back to the store next day then I bought this 18.5" Acer and used until I got a used 17'' Dell.

JJ

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If it's SATA, there is no need for a new computer, I do suggest, if you can afford it, to go with a solid state drive. If not, here's a good choice:

Massive amounts of memory, fast, and about $55 US
after shipping to this country.

Amazon.com: Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive ST3500418AS-Bare Drive: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more
if the Op is just using the pc for sending e mails and chatting on msn and posting on dr1, then he will be fine with the pc he has now. But but, I still don't know how he/she is still using the pc with 512 MB ram. its a pentium 4 2.8 ghz with 512 ram. this pc is ancient history. Think of getting a new pc. desktops are cheap.
AZB

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
I do suggest, if you can afford it, to go with a solid state drive.Thats like putting a V12 in a honda civic...lol:cheeky:If you can afford a solid state,you can afford a new desktop.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I do suggest, if you can afford it, to go with a solid state drive.Thats like putting a V12 in a honda civic...lol:cheeky:If you can afford a solid state,you can afford a new desktop.

LOL, I know, I was thinking just that. solid state drive. Hahahaha. On a pentium 4 with 512 Mb ram.
AZB