sosua in the UK news...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
we have seen this story already -seems someone could sue this newspaper....there could be good money in this

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
Do we really need to go there again?:ermm:

well pardon me... sorry I'm unable to read or recall every issue ever discussed on the board... is there at least merit for 'going there again' considering it's been brought up quite prominently in one of the UKs highest circulation papers, today?

perosnally, I couldn't care less about the gullible bint and the shyster scando, it's the narrow-mindedness of yer typical Brit that bothers me, and the association of the DR/sosua with confidence scammers forever in the minds of tory voting little englanders.

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
You're pardoned..

The search function is your friend. Try it.

would that search have thrown up someone else telling you this tale, however old or discussed-to-death it's been on here, had been rehashed by the UK media?

My only intention, with all the talk on here recently of rejuvinating the Sosua area and rebooting the tourism profile of the DR, was to make you aware of some of the **** going down over here that'll serve only to undermine the more positive efforts.

that's all.

Reactions: Bronxboy

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
would that search have thrown up someone else telling you this tale, however old or discussed-to-death it's been on here, had been rehashed by the UK media?

My only intention, with all the talk on here recently of rejuvinating the Sosua area and rebooting the tourism profile of the DR, was to make you aware of some of the **** going down over here that'll serve only to undermine the more positive efforts.

that's all.

I read the article yesterday here in the UK and because I rarely visit the board these days I wouldn't have known that it had been "done to death" either. Does it really matter ...... it seems some people are getting very petty and/or touchy. Back off, folks. :ermm:

I have also been sounding the warning bells regarding the hard time that the DR gets in the British press in general. It's a shame, but people do tend to read and believe. I was telling a Brit friend who lives in POP that it seems to have fallen off the radar as a holiday destination here - no write ups in the travel pages in the press anymore. Added to the hike in the Passenger Levy being bought in by the Government on 1st November I think there will be a further fall in numbers.

A great shame.

Rio

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I read the article yesterday here in the UK and because I rarely visit the board these days I wouldn't have known that it had been "done to death" either. Does it really matter ...... it seems some people are getting very petty and/or touchy. Back off, folks. :ermm:

Rio

So you are saying we should feel free to discuss this news even if some people will end up speculating what did happen to this poor woman?

Interesting

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This article at least gives results of the autopsy, and should end a lot of speculation. Anyone who has known someone with liver cancer knows it is deadly and the patient often dies within 6 months of initial diagnosis - regardless of where they are living or where they are treated.

Deepest condolences to her family and friends.

AE

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
So you are saying we should feel free to discuss this news even if some people will end up speculating what did happen to this poor woman?

Interesting

Not what I am saying at all. The OP was pointing out that it had been featured as quite a big story in one of yesterdays tabloids here in the UK - it was actually very current, regardless of it being on the board before.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Not what I am saying at all. The OP was pointing out that it had been featured as quite a big story in one of yesterdays tabloids here in the UK - it was actually very current, regardless of it being on the board before.

Well since you do you know what happened the last time this article was posted I suggest you do not call people touchy and petty and tell us to back off!

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I don't care to bring up this poor woman's circumstances however, one thing I will say is that it's unfortunate that the tone of this article puts a negative light on the Dominican Republic as a result of comments like this which I've quoted from the article:

?Lots of young girls go out to these places and there are people waiting for them when they get off the plane to take their money because there is such poverty.?

The boyfriend was a Swedish national and not an impoverished Dominican. I reallize the remark comes from a grief stricken mother but this comment puts a negative light on DR as a country and it's too bad.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The speculative sensationalism in that article's presentation of the matter far exceeded whatever it was that got the topic thread closed here.

So much for "Let's not upset the family". That mess upset everybody.

Tabloid journalism at its peak of insensitivity.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Does it really matter ...... it seems some people are getting very petty and/or touchy. Back off, folks. :ermm:

Again, my deepest sympathies to the family.

Yes, this thread was deleted but before it was, it went on forever. Many friendships were shattered, feelings were hurt, and vacations were given.

If I had the authority to close this thread right now, I would but it it not my forum.

I hope closure is given based on this article and let it be already.

Sosua is on a bad note already and things are being done to remedy. We do not need to rehash old feelings again.

Life goes on................................

Last edited:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This is a very sad story indeed. Sad for the woman's family and sad for the DR.
Unfortunately, it really has nothing to do with the DR except for the fact that she lived there. People reading the article will relate it to the DR though.
Any of us here who have had family members who passed from cancer should know that a cancer patient will look like that near their passing. My sister looked just like that and she was not abused. Her body starved itself to death from the cancer because she could not keep any food down. The same story with my brother who died from cancer.
God bless this woman and her family.

Reactions: woofsback

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
my deepest sympathies to the family

Havnt been on DR1 for a while and only dipped back in today due to the news in the paper.

Very sad indeed.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
well pardon me... sorry I'm unable to read or recall every issue ever discussed on the board... is there at least merit for 'going there again' considering it's been brought up quite prominently in one of the UKs highest circulation papers, today?

perosnally, I couldn't care less about the gullible bint and the shyster scando, it's the narrow-mindedness of yer typical Brit that bothers me, and the association of the DR/sosua with confidence scammers forever in the minds of tory voting little englanders.

" gullible bint and the shyster scando". You sir are an idiot for making assumptions. But hey that's your perogative. Shows your character.

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
When in Sosua I did in fact meet some foreigners (i.e. not Dominicans) which where the most revolting people I had ever met, hands down.

Some good people too, but Sosua is a big magnet for some of the most vile people on earth, that much is absolutely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.