Dr requirements for university studies and price

USAF GI

Oct 29, 2010
My family will be returning to live/retire in the DR in 2 years my daughter is planning to return with myself and spouse and study in the DR. Is there a University in Puerta Plata where she can pursue her Psychology degree or would she better off studying in Santiago? Also what is the cost of studies per year, I have heard there are some university's that are accredited that can be used in US. She is currently taking AP course at her current high school and speaks reads and writes Spanish she lived in DR when I was deployed to desert 3 times with my spouse 1, 4, and 7th grade. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Definately, Santiago. PUCMM.
The degree will be useful for getting into Grad School where she will have to get at least a Masters Degree in order to do anything in the field of psychology. A Doctorate is needed to practice in most states, but with a MA degree she can work with kids in schools, for the state governments is HR and such...

Not the worst decision. As she will probably qualify for Dominican tuition rates, the savings at the BA level will be huge.

Cordially,

HB

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
Definately, Santiago. PUCMM.
The degree will be useful for getting into Grad School where she will have to get at least a Masters Degree in order to do anything in the field of psychology. A Doctorate is needed to practice in most states, but with a MA degree she can work with kids in schools, for the state governments is HR and such...

Not the worst decision. As she will probably qualify for Dominican tuition rates, the savings at the BA level will be huge.

Cordially,

HB

What's up with the prices of PUCMM jumping like 25% every year?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't have a good explanation for the increases, but they are not 25%. However, remember it is a private university and needs income to pay its teachers and administratiors in order to keep them and the institution working, current and committed.

HB

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I still wonder how cheap it would be for me to go to PUCMM after all these years, even if it's one of the most expensive schools in the DR. I should've done a semester abroad at the Santo Tomas de Aquino campus in Santo Domingo. PUCMM is a good school, about as good as it gets in the DR. I would've obtained my bachelor's degree from there had I stayed in the DR, but I didn't want to put my parents in a bad situation, financially speaking, so I enlisted in the US Air Force for the GI Bill, did my 4 and got the hell out LOL.

GI, are you going to pass your GI Bill benefits to your daughter for her schooling? I think there's a 15-year window now, but there's a stipulation which attaches some sort of age limit. BTW, what's your AFSC? I was a 6C, which is Contracting....had I stayed in, I would've been on my 7th or 8th deployment by now, but one time in Iraq was enough for me :laugh::laugh:

*Jon decides to find out if PUCMM works with the GI Bill so he can be around all those fine Santiagueras* :p

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All I can tell you Jon is that the PUCMM is eligible for Federal Student Loans, so I would imagine that you can apply your GI Bill to your education there...

And why not>? I know a young fellow 45 that is going back for an engineering degree.

HB

USAF GI

Oct 29, 2010
Jon S
My AFSC was 3M0X Force support I have been retired going on 3 years and current work GS civilian side now. The reason I am asking the question is to prepare for what is best for my family. I have been stationed in Panama, Spain, Korea, Portugal and Italy not to exclude my desert time. And understand and live by when in Rome over the last 20 plus years. I was a QAE on a BMC contract at Moron Spain for 2 years was a great assignment and place. Did you travel while you were in? Im asking the board for information not because im cheap , nor looking for an easy way out for my family. She could easily stay here in states and study. But she has choosen to come with us after my retirement.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In our other conversations, I forgot to ask soes your daughter speak, read, write Spanish? A fairly important issue.

Other than that, by the numbers. It will be good for all.

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In our other conversations, I forgot to ask soes your daughter speak, read, write Spanish? A fairly important issue.

Other than that, by the numbers. It will be good for all.

HB

From the OP's original post: She is currently taking AP course at her current high school and speaks reads and writes Spanish she lived in DR when I was deployed to desert 3 times with my spouse 1, 4, and 7th grade. Any help would be greatly appreciated..
On another note; does PUCMM receive government funding like all the other Catholic schools in the DR?