Kindle vs. PanDigital eReader??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've been following the Kindle posts from Cobraboy and Chirimoya, and had decided to buy one until I saw a presentation on the PanDigital eReader. PanDigital seems to do more, is in full color, is seemingly more like a small iPad??? Barnes & Noble connection for books.

Does anyone have a PanDigital eReader? Pros & cons? They're available on eBay for $120-150 so the price is about the same.

AE

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I bought one today, paid a little more 179 USD at Radioshack in Miami. It's smaller than an iPad, has built in WiFi and a mini USB. I just downloaded som pdfs from my online backup, no problems so far. I don't know the Kindle but it's one third of the price of an IPad, and it's smaller. It's big enough to check mail and read news.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
I've been following the Kindle posts from Cobraboy and Chirimoya, and had decided to buy one until I saw a presentation on the PanDigital eReader. PanDigital seems to do more, is in full color, is seemingly more like a small iPad??? Barnes & Noble connection for books.

Does anyone have a PanDigital eReader? Pros & cons? They're available on eBay for $120-150 so the price is about the same.

AE

Hey, don't know which posts you're referring to since I've hardly been checking these boards but I can speak as a first hand Kindle owner...

I recently acquired a Kindle DX (the big one) and am very happy with it.
The DX is about 2.5x the size of the regular kindle I think. Regardless, it weighs very little, and fits comfortably in my hands (Due to its size, it's for sure a two hander!).

Regular kindles have wifi and 3G. 3G is pretty awesome. The kindle is by no means a internet cruising machine but reading CNN or such is a plus.

Regarding your other option.

1)I am unfamiliar with that option. That screams to me "Stay away." You basically have 3 players to choose from here (that are well known) B&N, Amazon and Sony. These 3 players have had time to work out the kinks.

2) If you just want to read books do yourself a favor and get one that is e-ink!!! Less stress on the eyes (it's amazing how much like a book the display looks like on my kindle).If you want a tablet PC then get a tablet PC/ipad. Trust me, big difference.

My recommendation? If you want an e-reader get one that has e-ink technology. Amazon just released a new kindle with a new e-ink screen (pearl) and it's the one I have in my DX. It looks great, page flips are fast enough (not instant but much more than bearable) and battery is fine, it can last for weeks supposedly depending on how much you read. As a former avid reader it gets two thumbs up and a wink from me.

Kindle is $149 I believe. Stick with the leader here unless you have a burning desire to tread a path into the wild unknown. With technology like this, that is still in it's early adoption, I strongly advise against it.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Pandigital is a company known for doing digital photoframes, photoscanners, etc., and now doing an ereader, it's based in California. I guess the company's reputation is good enough. Their ereader is running Android, it's supporting pdf and epub. I'm still reading papercopies of books but needed a reading device that could download pdfs (not books) I had backed up to my online backup, without having to carry an iPad size device.

Cons would be only 1 Gb memory (but it comes with a memory slot), and supposed to run (just) 4 hrs on battery.

I know it's going to work for me, I can't compare it to a Kindle because I've never used one.