50 Mbps DR Internet Connection, oh yes! :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Only Banks and such can use that, unless there are passioonate day traders here...

HB

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Does that mean I can watch youtube without the buffering? ;)

Or is that a latency problem and did they fix that too?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure the larger Hotels offing WIFI will benefit from this.
The $64.000 question is just how reliable will it be?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Wow... that's awesome... if it's reliable. Anyone know if it's available in Pueblo Bavaro? I'm suspecting there would have to be a phone line coming to the property... and as far as I know, we don't have phone lines where I'm living.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Wow... that's awesome... if it's reliable. Anyone know if it's available in Pueblo Bavaro? I'm suspecting there would have to be a phone line coming to the property... and as far as I know, we don't have phone lines where I'm living.

My guess is no and I have no doubt this will be limited to particular areas.

This is more about bragging rights than actually being able to deliver :)

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm perfectly happy with the reliability of Tricom.. it's just that the best they can offer me is 2Mbps. I would love to have 5-10Mbps. I'm doubting even that is available here in the east coast.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Areas

My guess is no and I have no doubt this will be limited to particular areas.

This is more about bragging rights than actually being able to deliver :)

Which areas do you think Robert? We dont get this service from Codetel in Bellla Vista.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
You have Tricom Wimax? How reliable is it?

I've found it to be very reliable. There have been a few periods where I had significant slowdowns. About 6 weeks ago there was a 5-day period where I was pulling my hair out (what's left of it)... but that seems to have passed. I do my work from home (I'm a software engineer working for a company in Washington, DC). Reliable internet is a necessity for me. I've very happy with Tricom however I would like at least 5 Mbps service but they don't offer that. I wish I knew why because everything I've read about WiMax indicates that the technology supports much faster speeds.

californian

Aug 19, 2008
Only Banks and such can use that, unless there are passioonate day traders here...

HB

or serious computer guys like me!
right now i have the 3mbit codetel... but i recently saw the 50mbit plan (they offer it here in santiago), and almost actually got it!
i may go to 10mbit instead... but damn its a lot of $ to shell out!

pedrochemical said:
Does that mean I can watch youtube without the buffering?

Or is that a latency problem and did they fix that too?

Latency has little to do with that, it is bandwidth related... so yes, this would certainly fix that (although a 1.5mbit plan would as well ;) )
They did have some seriously bad routing issues, which they seem to have worked out... although I had my own fix for it (I tunneled all my traffic to florida to a server which i actually had a good route to, it sped up my traffic significantly and more importantly reduced my packet jitter for VOIP)
if anyone wants me to translate any of that into easier english just tell me, lol

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Does anyone here use Codatel for their internet service in Bavaro? I'm considering switching and wondering if they are reliable.