Shipping A 2007 Diesel 4 x 4 to the DR

MMensah

Oct 30, 2010
Dear Forumers,

I am in the final steps before moving to the DR. I have read repeatedly that shipping a vehicle from outside is a big, expensive hassle. Can someone who has actually shipped a car share with me how much money they actually paid to customs as well as how long the process was to clear the vehicle. Actual numbers please.

Thanks,

MM

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You are right to be fearful..... its a frightening feeling/conversation with them because the rules are difficult to discern.

WW

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thanks, I missed that one. I just don't trust Customs in this country, maybe I have been here too long.

That's why it's important to have a good customs broker that knows the system and can handle the unexpected.

It's no guarantee that things will go smoothly, but it sure helps.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's why it's important to have a good customs broker that knows the system and can handle the unexpected.

It's no guarantee that things will go smoothly, but it sure helps.

Absolutely right, Commander....... No One should do it on their own

I expect all the freight people are capable, its just finding one you like to work with.
Mine was Hispaniola Freight but I spoke with several in the preparation stages.

I haven't looked at a 40' foot container the same ever since :ermm:

Your "Myth" post is the best I have seen here on this recurring subject:tired:

WW

MMensah

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks so much for your help!

This info is just what I was looking for. I think I'll ship my vehicle after all.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To finish off...... if you are shipping from NYC area, the sailing takes 10-12 days...... the car will sit at the dock for another few days after you identify/claim it.......... then the trip to the Aduana....... then back to the dock for the car.

One more trip for the placa and you're done....

once vehicle is on the dock you can hustle the process -- as much as anything in RD can be hustled :-((

good luck

WW

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and the Shipping Companies may be helpful, but they do not guarantee anything.
that's a point where a local purchase get's it's value over any import as long as you are not looking on a Model that would not be available here in the country for any price.
mike

MMensah

Oct 30, 2010
Am shipping from Ghana. Am hopeful that will not complicate matters. Vehicle is a Land Cruiser Prado. I know there are loads on the island already. My shippers have an official office in the DR, so they say I am in good hands *fingers crossed*.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I do not think it matters where you come from.... RD Aduana will treat us all the same... or not the same

You should have no problems different than ours.

Prados are plentiful here

WW