cost of a haircut

ambie999

Oct 31, 2010
I have recently moved to the D.R. and i am a licensed hairstylist from canada. I have had many people asking me about what i would charge to do their hair. Seeing as it's not the same as canada i have no idea what to charge here. Any input as to what people pay for cuts (men&women) and colors would be great. THanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Man's -- 250 pesos
Best haircut I get anywhere .... Cabrera

The bigger cities will be able to charge more

WW

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Depending on what market you're catering for, it could range from around RD$100 to well over RD$1,000 and colour can cost several thousand in the good salons. Check out salons in your area and see what they're charging.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have recently moved to the D.R. and i am a licensed hairstylist from canada. I have had many people asking me about what i would charge to do their hair. Seeing as it's not the same as canada i have no idea what to charge here. Any input as to what people pay for cuts (men&women) and colors would be great. THanks

Oh, I thought you were looking to get your own hair done from the way you posted in the other thread - my misunderstanding it would seem!

May 29, 2006
You could prob do fine charging whatever you can get back home if you can make housecalls and cater to the ex-pat market. Being able to speak English alone should get you a good client base. If someone thinks Dominican women only pay 100-250 pesos for a salon visit getting their hair straightened and colored, they are completely out of touch. Spend some time getting familiar with Dominican hair products. They make some good stuff.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I pay $100-150 pesos depending if I use a local barber or get it don't in the mall.
My lass pays $200-300pesos for a wash and dry every week. When she gets colour put in it costs around $650pesos, when she gets her extensions put in, if she has to buy new ones it costs around $2,500pesos, with existing extensions and styling, costs around $1,000-$1,200pesos.

If you cut and style men and womans straight hair (as opposed to fuzz) then a mobile service would bring in better money, I reckon rent on a prime location would be high. Mind those free units in Zona Colonial might be cheap as they are all empty, or maybe they are empty coz they are so expensive who knows. Then again do women go to ZC to get hair cut?

ambie999

Oct 31, 2010
thanks everyone you're a big help. The only non Dominican salon that i know of where i am is shut down and seeing as my spanish is not up to par i might have to get someone to ask in the dominican salon. But seeing as i would be doing mostly caucasian hair, is that like comparing apples to oranges?

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo pays 80 pesos but then he has hardly any hair to speak of :)
i guess it is more a polish than a cut :)

maximum i have paid is 1500 pesos for wash, cut, colour and blow dry.
i already think it was a lot and i would not pay more than that.
when i have my hair cut now (just the ends) i go to a local girl and pay her 150 pesos plus tip. she takes 20 minutes as opposed to the salon that takes 3 hours (20 minutes for the cut and the rest is waiting). i only do salon if i want a cut change.

prices are for POP.

i am completely useles when in comes to beauty and i do not like to waste time on my hair. luckily it is naturally good and managable. i do know, however, that many gringas in DR would kill for a good haircut by a proper stylist. and even more would kill for a blow dry that does not involve having your hair pulled out by the team of hairminators and the volcanic heat of the blower.

smoky

Jul 6, 2005
Like to see: prices depends and too bad, not all say the locations
Mens haircut
Barahona 70 rds
Jarabacoa 60 rds + shaving 100 rds
Sosua 120 rds (charamicos) and 150 rds (el batey) if you use the german salon, much more
You even see various prices for mainkure
Santiago 100 rds and sosua 300 rds

I would say: you know what is the work you do worce? It all depends an quality, ambiente del salon, products. it's not only to talk about prices.
My wife is working in a salon in santiago. and the price in this salon are quiet high!
but airconditioning, best products, coffee, glas of champagne.

It also depends what clients you like to atract

Feb 7, 2007
I was able to get haircut and shave in La Vega for 100 pesos 2 years ago. I used to pay RD$200 for haircut and shave in Higuey, now I pay RD$250.... hmm...everybody's raising prices, but when "I" want to raise prices, all the clients raise h3ll !!!...

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
100 pesos with a razor shave. Takes about an hour from start to finish. So if there are 2 guys in front of you, expect three hours.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
WHere in the DR are you? What you charge will definately depend on where you are.

Also, don't try to cater to men OR to local women. You will work too hard, have too much competition and make almost nothing.

IF you cater to North Americans and foreigners in general find a happy medium between what a foreigner normally pays here and prices back home (wherever that was)

A cut for a foreigner can range from 200RD to 800 RD here in the Puerto Plata area. A color can range from 600 RD (color included) to 2,000RD depending on the salon!

And I agree some of the local products are great and much less expensive.