Mailboxes Etc. prices raised to astronomical level

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I recently went to pick up my mail at MBE in Palma Real shopping center. They are now charging 100 per letter!!! WTF. I'm giving up on having mail delivered here... it's insane.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I recently went to pick up my mail at MBE in Palma Real shopping center. They are now charging 100 per letter!!! WTF. I'm giving up on having mail delivered here... it's insane.

I agree prices are high. But when you live here,you can't avoid getting at least some incoming mail. But, thanks to the internet and e-mail, what you need to have sent by mail is much less than in the past.

Credit card charges and most bills can be paid on line. Bank accounts can be balanced on line, eliminating the need to have statements sent. Magazine, etc., subscriptions can be cancelled; most of the information in them is also on the internet.

Most personal correspondence can be done by e-mail.

The bad thing is that as the amount of mail decreases, prices for what does come are increased.

Reactions: Keith R

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
EPS has been charging 100 rd for as long as I can remember. This is the price, you pay it or you sweat it another way.

Feb 7, 2007
Vimenpaq is also cheaper. picknsend will be opening up soon in bavaro, they charge about 40 pesos for letters and 60 pesos for magazines.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
For the life of me, I don't understand how they get away with charging such outrageous fees. I've been using mail forwarding services in the Caribbean since 2005. In Trinidad, I paid US$40 per year and you got 1LB of mail per day for free. That price also included free delivery to your door... anywhere on the island.

I'm opening up a PO Box in the US... since I'm up there every other month I'll just pick up my mail then... this is just silly.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I pay RD$65 at EPS. Maybe if it's outside SD is more expensive?

Maybe it is because there are more clients in SD. My sense is that each of the offices is independent and able to set whatever rates are necessary to make the business profitable. As the client base goes up the prices can come down.