I'm Convinced That Haiti Truly Is Cursed!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
First, the worst economic and social collapse ever known in the Americas and only a handful of countries worldwide.

Second, the strongest earthquake in centuries to hit the island and the worst urban disaster in the history of humanity.

Third, of all epidemics that could had arisen, it had to be cholera, a disease that kills its victims within hours of being infected.

And now this:

I don't think this has ever happened, a hurricane missing the DR and then turning north to make a beeline straight for Haiti with winds of at least 115 mph.

I don't know what the Haitians have done to get this, but this is certainly not their year!!!!

Cursed is the only thing that comes into my mind to explain this.

Unbelievable!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
It's a sad situation and I feel bad about the Hatians and their fight to survive.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
It has nothing to do with anything Haitians have or have not done. It is simply that they have unfortunately had to experience MANY difficult circumstances, sometimes thats just the way things go, its lamentable but c'est la vie. Some people have even gone so far to imply that because Haiti has been related to voodoo practices etc. that they have been (or are being) punished by God. That is simply illogical and unreasonable. With even the slightest knowledge of the Bible one can deduce that God does not simply 'go after' people to punish them in such a way. As indicated in the Bible in the example of Sodom and Gomorrah, there righteous are NEVER, grouped together with the unrighteous. Furthermore, not everyone in Haiti is a voodoo practicing witch or witchdoctor. That is ludicrous to suggest such a notion, furthermore many of them have Christian based faiths. Ask an extremist Muslim about 9/11 and they will probably say that THEIR God was 'punishing' the United States. But ask an American, and naturally they will tell you that is was a terrorist attack that killed many innocent Men, Women and Children. My point is, people sometimes try to relate everything that happens to some act of God, when in reality at least the majority of the time it is just the unfortunate result of mankind being stupid, cruel, ignorant and destructive regardless of how it affects the next person. I know that this is not what NALS is saying or implying. I believe what he stated is just to emphasis all the horrible things going on in Haiti right now, and I agree it is unbelievable. But definitely not some 'curse' or 'punishment'. If that were the case we would also have to question why ANY hurricane or natural disaster occurs.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Don't forget - when it's bad, it's "nature", when it's good, it's "God". :tired:

I get NALs' point. It is so difficult to accept that one small country, with so much going for it and so many good people who have suffered so much, should get kicked and crushed again and again, just when it was getting back onto its feet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When I saw that map last night, I just sighed...What else can you do>? IF that storm takes that turn, I truly ache for thepeople of Haiti..

Lord protect them..

HB

Reactions: AlterEgo

mikey007

Bronze
Aug 19, 2005
the haitian govt is totally corrupt and incompetent. what are they doing about the child slavery , the stranger rapes at these tent cities, persistent incestual relationships . absolutely nothing

wylechile_2000

Apr 18, 2008
I agree with what everyone says. As a Haitian here in Haiti I have seen it all . I was here during the quake and now I see the cholera epidemic ravaging the people of my country, and now a hurricane. NALs, even the Haitian people ask themselves what have they done to deserve this but of course there is no answer. This country is a victim of circumstance and the governments greed and corruption. I feel very bad about what is going on right now but I also say to myself maybe this what we need to make the world aware of how much Haiti needs help. I would love to see this country restored to the way it was when I was A child. back then Haiti was a very nice place to live. I strongly agree with mikey007 we do need a complete cultural overhaul.

Reactions: LaLouve

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
I would also like to see more of a 'conscious' effort on the part of America to help. There was a lot of support when the Jan. earthquake hit, but I think many people have the wrong mentality. If it does not affect them directly, most people are like 'who cares??'. I would venture to say that many people donated money etc when the Earthquake hit because it was the 'popular' thing to do at the time.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Why

I would also like to see more of a 'conscious' effort on the part of America to help. There was a lot of support when the Jan. earthquake hit, but I think many people have the wrong mentality. If it does not affect them directly, most people are like 'who cares??'. I would venture to say that many people donated money etc when the Earthquake hit because it was the 'popular' thing to do at the time.

Why do you only mention America, assume that your talking about the USA, not the Americas. This is a whole world problem. Everyone needs to step up to the plate.

Not to mention that all the aid has not been received either.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Why do you only mention America, assume that your talking about the USA, not the Americas. This is a whole world problem. Everyone needs to step up to the plate.

America is the correct word. At some point in time the US hijacks this word.

It is the same thing with the adjective american. Anybody born in America is an american. You do not have to be born in the US to be an american.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010

It is the same thing with the adjective american. Anybody born in America is an american. You do not have to be born in the US to be an american.

I say America (insert USA/American as you wish) because America is simply in a better position to help than any other country. Its simply a matter of influence. America has influence on other countries that no other country has comparably. When there is a horrible Civil War in another Country, the U.N. meets and discusses it, but if America (and Great Britain, its partner in crime - no pun intended) are not behind it, then there will not be much done about it. Logically ALL Nations should indeed help out, that goes without being said. But I can not speak on the mentality and attitude of too many other Nations, Countries, Peoples etc. But I am quite familiar with what goes on in America as it applies to helping and making a 'conscious' effort to help another person.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As a civil engineering consultant with Haitian clients the reason I understand that the rebuilding has not been done is twofold. One, the international group largely responsible for the disbursement of the reconstruction funds, "the Clinton Commission" has been working to strike a deal with the Haitian government and investors in order to make the process as transparent as possible. That being said I think it's quite telling that they have supposedly decided to wait after the government changes hands in February which I would assume that there must be some grafting going on but that is just my opinion.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
As a civil engineering consultant with Haitian clients the reason I understand that the rebuilding has not been done is twofold. One, the international group largely responsible for the disbursement of the reconstruction funds, "the Clinton Commission" has been working to strike a deal with the Haitian government and investors in order to make the process as transparent as possible. That being said I think it's quite telling that they have supposedly decided to wait after the government changes hands in February which I would assume that there must be some grafting going on but that is just my opinion.

There were persitent and strong rumours last year,,, when Prime Minister Michele Pierre Louis was forced to resign.. that the reason behind the resignation was that while SHE had accused of mis using funds donated for Gonaives after hurricane Noel, she immediately denied such charges and said "Let us open the government's books on this" and was gone by the end of the week.

"I would also like to see more of a 'conscious' effort on the part of America to help. There was a lot of support when the Jan. earthquake hit, but I think many people have the wrong mentality. If it does not affect them directly, most people are like 'who cares??'. I would venture to say that many people donated money etc when the Earthquake hit because it was the 'popular' thing to do at the time."

Haiti suffers from what is called 'donor fatigue" in that so very much money has been donated over the years and there is so little to show for it. After the storms hit Gonaives, even Relief Web was commenting that calls for aid to Haiti were simply going unanswered.. or rather answered at a much lower level than in other nations.

But after the earthquake ONE in every TWO United Staters donated money.

I doubt that there has EVER been such a great response inside the US for any
other cause.

And now there is increased press presence, and an increased cry for accountabliity. Better to hear the cry that the money has not been spent yet than to hear that it is all gone and there is nothing to show for it.

Reactions: woofsback

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

That was why I asked as to the usage, There are 3 "America's"

North, Central, and South.
America/USA is normally singular, and the first conventionally thought of when some one hears the word America or United States of America as that is the USA it was not hijacked it's part of the name.
If you mean somewhere else in the "America's" you need to stipulate. Or you could refer to a Canadian for example as a North American. Or a Brazilian as a South American. A Costa Rican would be a Central American.