Merging Haiti and the Dominican Republic for mutual benefit???

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
I stumbled upon an article - FoxNews.com - Haiti Should Merge With the Dominican Republic that mentions why the Author (Daniel Rodriguez) feels that doing so would be for the best interest of Haiti and subsequently for the Dominican Republic.
Needless to say, Haiti definitely needs some assistance as a Country, and this was the case LONG before the January Earthquake, it is on the brink of being a failed state (many would say it already is). Historically, it would seem virtually impossible to mesh these two different Worlds together as there is a apparent contention between the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Personally, I think it would be a very radical approach that would be frowned upon by many. But, on the other hand I think there at least could be some benefits as well. But one thing is certain, there are already 2 Millions Haitians (roughly) in the Dominican Republic. And as long as there is no consistent effort on the part of the Haitian and Dominican government, Haitians will continue to come in search of better living conditions. Just as Mexicans continue to come to the U.S. for better opportunities. It will not stop, period. Merging the 2 countries could (could....possibly) alleviate which in the future will inevitably become a mass but gradual exodus from Haiti. And logically speaking, Haitians are not coming to set up businesses (at least not yet) they are coming to SURVIVE. So as a result it could cause more congestion, a further weight on the the already poor infrastructure and possibly more conflict and contention etc. If merging is simply out of the question, then I think there should be more of a consistent effort to help by the American, Haitian and Dominican governments. Immigration laws and services should be designed to help and not hinder Haitians who are simply trying to survive. Is it another Government's responsibility to help another who has perhaps mismanaged itself?? No and Yes. No, because each Nation has its own sovereignty and decide how they will govern themselves. But, Yes because we are all human beings sharing the same planet, and it is simply the right thing to do.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Please don't even go there. It's a preposterous and hugely unpopular idea that no-one takes seriously except for the paranoid who think there's an international conspiracy to unite the island.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This has already been discussed at length here on DR1 about the same article I believe. Therefore, please review the forum.

In a nutshell, the DR and Haiti will only merge after Palestine and Israel create a new state. :)

Apr 3, 2009
The War for Hispaniola!!!

Countries do not "merge," they invade. If the Haiti and the Dominican Republic were to become one nation, it would be due to war.

I do not believe that anyone wants that. Nevertheless, I wonder if Dominicans could pull off such a feat and I wonder how long it would take them to do it.

-BB :bunny:

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Please don't even go there. It's a preposterous and hugely unpopular idea that no-one takes seriously except for the paranoid who think there's an international conspiracy to unite the island.

Preposterous and hugely unpopular?? Perhaps, but East and West Germany are now doing just fine. What many people DONT realize is that such a decision is not just a matter of what Haiti and the Dominican Republic wants. There are MUCH bigger players on the International Level, and they have more influence over what takes place then the individual Nations itself. It all comes down to Financial Interests. And with all respect, neither Haiti nor the Dominican Republic have much if any presence on the International-Global Economic table. Haiti is the poorest nation in the America's, and the Dominican Republic (its friendly neighbor) has an Economy that is growing, but it also largely dependent upon the Tourism industry and other exports like Sugar, Coffee, Tobacco etc. So on the Global level, the Dominican Republic is categorized under the 'United States' as its economy is affected greatly by what the U.S. economy does. So don't think for one second that it simply cant happen because Haiti doesn't want it, or the the Dominican Republic doesn't want it. Remember the 'Golden Rule'.

And what is so preposterous about 2 Nations coming together for possible mutual gain???

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Countries do not "merge," they invade. If the Haiti and the Dominican Republic were to become one nation, it would be due to war.

I do not believe that anyone wants that. Nevertheless, I wonder if Dominicans could pull off such a feat and I wonder how long it would take them to do it.

-BB :bunny:

I disagree.

Courtesy CIA World Fact Book:

Shortly after achieving independence from Britain in the early 1960s, Tanganyika and Zanzibar merged to form the nation of Tanzania in 1964. One-party rule came to an end in 1995 with the first democratic elections held in the country since the 1970s. Zanzibar's semi-autonomous status and popular opposition have led to two contentious elections since 1995, which the ruling party won despite international observers' claims of voting irregularities.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tz.html

With the huge problems in Haiti and the overwhelming poverty and economic disparity which still exists in the Dominican Republic it would be in neither country's interest to "merge". The best bet for Haiti's recovery is continued global support and strong trade relationships with the D.R. and other partners in the Americas. A real Haitian leadership will have to emerge before things get better there. Someone with a vision that their countrymen are willing to buy into.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Preposterous and hugely unpopular?? Perhaps, but East and West Germany are now doing just fine. What many people DONT realize is that such a decision is not just a matter of what Haiti and the Dominican Republic wants. There are MUCH bigger players on the International Level, and they have more influence over what takes place then the individual Nations itself. It all comes down to Financial Interests. And with all respect, neither Haiti nor the Dominican Republic have much if any presence on the International-Global Economic table. Haiti is the poorest nation in the America's, and the Dominican Republic (its friendly neighbor) has an Economy that is growing, but it also largely dependent upon the Tourism industry and other exports like Sugar, Coffee, Tobacco etc. So on the Global level, the Dominican Republic is categorized under the 'United States' as its economy is affected greatly by what the U.S. economy does. So don't think for one second that it simply cant happen because Haiti doesn't want it, or the the Dominican Republic doesn't want it. Remember the 'Golden Rule'.

And what is so preposterous about 2 Nations coming together for possible mutual gain???

The two Germany's were one with one people with the same culture, speaking one language before they were divided by war. This as we all know is not the same as DR & Haiti. Perhaps the USA should join with Mexico after all they share the same continent, have a shared border and history, common language, and plenty of bloodlines in both countries.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Preposterous and hugely unpopular?? Perhaps, but East and West Germany are now doing just fine.

Germany was 1 Nation (a single people) before it lost WWII and was split up by and amongst the Allied nations.

Not the same. Not even close. Same Language, same culture, same food on the plate. The only way to tell an East German from a West German during the cold war was during swimming competitions at the Olympics (steroids).

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Sorry Bob. Your post wasn't up when I started.

On the whole Mexico/USA merger thing...they can have California back now...we're done with it.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Preposterous and hugely unpopular?? Perhaps, but East and West Germany are now doing just fine. ???

Greydread beat me to responding to this statement. How can you compare East and West Germany to the DR and Haiti? Listen, I read the FOXNEWS article as well several months ago and merging WILL NEVER WORK. I've said it before and I'll say it again- Haiti needs to become a commonwealth, preferably of France.

Haiti has proven time and time that it is a corrupt state. Unfortunately if Haiti is to become prosperous again it must start all over. This probably won't be seen within our life time.. But merging is simply out of the question. Lets not forget DR has it's problem's as well... I don't care how close it is to Haiti, technically speaking DR has no obligation to help Haiti, it only helps Haiti to avoid complete pandemonium at the border.

DR is still considered to be third world by many standards, the developed countries have the "white man's burden" upon them to provide aid to Haiti.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
And what is so preposterous about 2 Nations coming together for possible mutual gain???[/QUOTE]

Please tell me how the Dominican Republic would "prosper" from merging with Haiti.

Tourism? Yeah right. Look at a satellite map of DR and Haiti; you'll be able to tell Hati because it looks like a desert.

Business? Does Haiti even have a business sector?

Trade? What does Haiti make and export to other countries?

The list goes on and on..

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Haiti needs to become a commonwealth, preferably of France.

You mean like Martinique or Guadeloupe, French Guayana and Reunion?

What would France's motivation be? What could they possibly have to gain? Another Haitian revolution down the road?

Nah. I don't beleive in that "White Man's Burden" nonsense and I doubt that the French do as well. They've got their own problems. Only Haiti can fix Haiti. If it takes another 100 years and 25 more natural disasters, real progress will have to come from the people of Haiti. The whole country isn't P au P and anywhere a seed can grow so can hope and prosperity.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We are talking about two different sovereign countries that have different languages and customs.

Using Germany as an example just shows how far the OP is off his rocker. Are people that ignorant about the DR and Haiti or maybe they just seem to think citizens are all "black" they must think alike? Help, save this world from the pc morality!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Only Haiti can fix Haiti.

I guess your not fond of history nor recent events. One, Haiti hasn't been able to fix itself as of yet. Two, they won't have the chance to prove that they could fix themselves because the international community is going to donate billions of dollars of infrastructure over the next 10 years.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
Canada or Mexico

The two Germany's were one with one people with the same culture, speaking one language before they were divided by war. This as we all know is not the same as DR & Haiti. Perhaps the USA should join with Mexico after all they share the same continent, have a shared border and history, common language, and plenty of bloodlines in both countries.

I think you have Canada mixed up with Mexico. But oh! Maybe you are right, the US does not have a official language.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
We are talking about two different sovereign countries that have different languages and customs.

Using Germany as an example just shows how far the OP is off his rocker. Are people that ignorant about the DR and Haiti or maybe they just seem to think citizens are all "black" they must think alike? Help, save this world from the pc morality!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used Germany as an example NOT of cultures merging, but to show that it is possible to merge 2 Political Agendas with the intent of sustaining a long term foundation for gain and national benefit.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I used Germany as an example NOT of cultures merging, but to show that it is possible to merge 2 Political Agendas with the intent of sustaining a long term foundation for gain and national benefit.

All I can say if you haven't got the hint yet at this point it's apparent you've been drinking wine out of a bowl for way to long.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010

Please tell me how the Dominican Republic would "prosper" from merging with Haiti.

Tourism? Yeah right. Look at a satellite map of DR and Haiti; you'll be able to tell Hati because it looks like a desert.

Business? Does Haiti even have a business sector?

Trade? What does Haiti make and export to other countries?

The list goes on and on..[/QUOTE]

Looking like a desert and BEING a desert are two different things. Don't make it seem like Haiti is just some geographical anomaly. Haiti was once just as lush as the most fertile parts of the Dominican Republic. It is now in a state of desertification NOT because it is some type of unique geographical paradox that just so happens to begin at the Dominican border. It is like that mainly because of poverty. Soil erosion and deforestation are the biggest factors because the poverty has caused over farming in many areas.
Realistically, where would the Dominican Republic be without Tourism?? If things were the other way around, you would likely see the SAME type of deforestation taking place in DR. Keep in mind we are talking about the same island here. If Sugar can grow in the Dominican Republic, it can grow in Haiti. If Coffee can grow in the Dominican Republic, it can grow in Haiti. Perhaps not as much, but there is not a stark contrast in the climates. True there are some geographical differences, but it is not like 2 completely different ecosystems share the same island. Most of the differences you will are extenuated by people. The only real substantial differences come from the amount of extremely poor people trying to survive and thus leaving a greater mark on the environment.
Your talking about Haiti as if it never had or never will have any potential to be just as successful as the Dominican Republic.

"Business? Does Haiti even have a business sector?
Trade? What does Haiti make and export to other countries?"

That's like asking a Man in a full body cast laying on his death bed "what sports can you play?", "how far can you walk?" etc. Give the 'man' a chance to get out his death bed, get his legs under him, learn to walk again, and THEN ask him those questions.