Recipes! Care to Share?

Gerritt_From_Canada

Nov 2, 2010
I have been visiting these forums for about a year now... and have been fascinated by some of the posts and threads, Some funny, some sad and some right down the middle...

I finally signed up today... as I really wanted to find some good recipes that I could employ here at home.. I honestly miss rice and beans... Good ones especially!

I have been visiting the DR for quiet a few years (3-4 times a year) and I have a love of their simple yet flavourful food, it seems that even the basics can be delicious if prepared correctly.

So I am calling you experts to help guide me to culinary satisfaction while I am not in the DR... God I miss that heat blast when I step off the plane...

If anyone would be so kind to share some of their day to day recipes/methods that I could serve here at my home, in Ontario, Canada. Between our trips to the DR, I would be forever greatful.

Thanks in advance!

G.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Quick!!! Go get Dominican Cookbook by Clara Gonzalez and Ilana Benady!!! I think it is available on Amazon...
It is the best, most up to day book of its kind around. You can't miss..

HB

Gerritt_From_Canada

Nov 2, 2010
Hello!

And thanks, I am looking at the dominicancooking.com website as we speak :) the recipes look great, and I have tried a few in the past...But something was lacking... Perhaps because I was the one cooking it?.. Someone else's cooking always seems to taste good and I am one hell of a cook..

That said, I am sure that native Dominican mothers and grandmothers add that little something to make a dish fantastic.. Know what I mean? (and dont tell me it is love lol) I have had rice and beans... and then I have had RICE AND BEANS! LOL.. I hope you can understand what I mean.

I would like to see a few personal recipes that you yourself make and think are fantastic! who else to ask about Dominican cooking then Dominicans!

Thank you for the great replies.

G

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Beans: they add Caldo de Pollo (salty, MSG-loaded, cubes), Cilantro, a piece or two of Auyama.
Rice: they add a lot of oil and salt. Not at all like Uncle Ben's...

But you'll do..

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Aunt Clara makes a point of not including artificial sazones or cubitos in her recipes.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No but our cooks do!!! I know Auntie Clara does not like anything artificial.

90% of Dominican cooks use something like this....

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i sometimes feel that barrio/campo cooking is based on grease, salt and sopita :)
when i visit my in laws i hardly eat anything since their maid cooks very dominican :) but hell, her sancocho is to die for!

the way i make beans:
i put a small spoon of olive oil in a pot. throw in few whole garlic cloves, onion cut in quarters and few large pieces of dominican peppers. when veggies get soft and a bit burned i add beans (they have to be cooked, of course and added with some of the water they cooked in, other than that you can use cans, no problem). i cook until beans are done, does not take long. i pour part of beans with all veggies to the mixer and mix until they form a smooth soup. add soup to the whole beans in the pot, boil for a moment more. add a pinch of salt and nice amount of black pepper. simple yet tasty.

campo potato salad:
chop onion, put in a jar, add salt and enough vinegar to cover roughly half of onion. shake well, refrigerate overnight. next day boil potatoes, carrots and eggs. cut in small pieces, add your onion with the vinegar. add mayo, salt and pepper. some dominicans add beetroot. you may add green peas or corn, whatever takes your fancy. they key is in the onion :)

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Beans: they add Caldo de Pollo (salty, MSG-loaded, cubes), Cilantro, a piece or two of Auyama.
Rice: they add a lot of oil and salt. Not at all like Uncle Ben's...

But you'll do..

HB

I put salt, goya adobo with pepper(available everywhere in DR) in my beans, plus a clove of garlic and some diced onion and the root of cylantro or chopped leaves. The adobo is great for seasoning meat too and the sazon is good for flavoring rice. Goya has a website too where you can get recipes from different Latin American and Caribbean dishes using their products. One of my favorites is arroz amarillo.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have started using Adobo in NYC with pepper. I think I am addicted as I barely use salt.
I also use a lot of cubes, but I got that from my mom :)
Garlic is my middle name, I love garlic paste.

Needless to say, I have no problem with Dominican seasoning :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Modification: I decided to ask what our cook put into the beans...Here is her answer:
"Un cubito (Maggie Biene Bien)"
Reca?to
garlic
onion
green onion
oregano
salt

Now, my son, who is a pretty fair cook, says you have to smoke some meat (pork shop or somethink like this) first.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My version: while you're boiling the dried beans, take a separate pot and saut?e garlic and onions in olive oil, add a pinch of thyme, piment?n dulce (sweet paprika) and cumin powder (the latter is not traditionally Dominican and is optional).
Add some chopped celery and green pepper, cover the pot and sweat for a few minutes on a low flame. Add a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce (preferably natural, otherwise a smaller amount of paste). Stir, add a small amount of boiling water (from the beans) and a stock cube (optional - I use lo-salt/lo-MSG vegetable cubes) and simmer for a few minutes.
Once the beans are ready, drain them, keeping the liquid. Add beans to the sofrito, mix, and add liquid until you have the desired texture. Simmer on a low flame for a few more minutes
I also do what dv8 suggests - blend part of the beans for a creamier sauce.
Before serving, I add salt and pepper, cilantro/verdurita to taste.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
more

home made garlic paste:
4 entire garlics, peeled. pinch of salt, olive oild. put all into a mixer. keep on adding olive oil so that mixed garlic forms paste. mix for few minutes to make sure all garlic cloves are crushed. put in a car and ito the fridge. last for a long time and can be used in soups and for seasoning meat. add a spoon of this paste to soft butter, a bit more salt, pepper and some finely chopped spring onions and you have great garlic butter for bread.

sopa de auyama:
simplest of designs :) pot on fire, a drizzle of oil, few cloves of garlic and cubbed pumpkin. move the veggies so that all get a bit of colour. pour enough water to cover pumpkin pieces. add bay leaves and allspice. boli until soft (about 10-15 minutes, auyama does not take long). fish out the seasoning. put pumpkin, garlic and water into a mixer. when creamed pour back into the pot and simmer for a moment. add salt and freshly ground pepper. serve topped with grated parmezan and toasts with garlic butter. perfect.