Need to show passport to rent a condo or villa?

agw

Feb 14, 2010
I tried searching but can't find a thread about this: We'd like to know how common it is to be asked for a copy of your passport upon checkin when you rent a condo or villa?

I was really surprised to be asked for copies of ours from the manager of the complex after checking in last winter since we had already paid the full amount in advance directly to the owners. Nothing had been said to us prior to arriving. Are the usual other forms of ID like your drivers license not accepted? I'm curious as there is no home address on my passport like there is on our licenses and we were given what we thought was a rather lame reason last year. This year we want to be prepared in advance with what is customary in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area as we have paid a deposit on a different place.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Yes it is normal to leave a copy of your passport on furnished accommodation.
No big deal, give it to them while they copy it, get it back, you get a copy for your wallet, stick it in the safe and have a vacation. Simple.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Our practice is to make a photo copy of the passport when somebody checks in. We want this information in case of an emergency involving the renter and the help of the embassy is needed, of if the renter becomes seriously ill or dies.

We are not on the south coast, but assume they do the same there and probably for same reason.

agw

Feb 14, 2010
We always lock up our original documents and carry copies only, but thanks! Also we have scans of all our documents in an online email server so we can still access them if lost or stolen, including our travel health insurance numbers and health information. Also easy to make new copies if necessary.