Rain & work -

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
So what is with this - it is raining so many people don't bother showing up for work!!!!!!!! It drives me batty.

I can understand if your house is actually flooded. I can understand if the road is washed out.

I cannot understand - well it is raining therefor I cannot go to work! Bloody hell. And no phone call - they just do not bother to show up.

I am done venting now. thank you.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
So what is with this - it is raining so many people don't bother showing up for work!!!!!!!! It drives me batty.

I can understand if your house is actually flooded. I can understand if the road is washed out.

I cannot understand - well it is raining therefor I cannot go to work! Bloody hell. And no phone call - they just do not bother to show up.

I am done venting now. thank you.
I would guess most get to work via motochoncho. Maybe if you offered to pay for a taxi on rainy days, they might try to make it. Most can't afford to pay for a taxi on what they make and I dare anybody to say it isn't suicide to ride a moto in the rain.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
For most Dominicans rain = Sancocho y romo.

Por mas que te afanes no anadiras a tu estatura un centimetro...

haha

JJ

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Most can afford a carro publico but do not want to go outside when it is raining. Moto conchos cost more than a publico. They dont' want to walk!

There is no way most businesses can afford taxis for employees. Just like in the US when it snows businesses do not pay for taxis for employees - ridiculous. It is the employees responsibility to get themselves to work

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is because here it does not rain water as in the rest of the world. It rains muriatic acid. And if is is raining you have to find a plastic bag to put on your head.

Matilda

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
And we know that it is a huge hardship to find a plastic bag.....Very funny....;)

Feb 7, 2007
Had a same problem some time ago with an employee. Rain - good chance not to show up for work. Another reasons not to show up were - no gasoline for his motorcycle, his motorcycle being broken down. I indeed started discounting the days. But he did not even bother to call!!!! That's the worst of it. Funny thing was when it rained heavily and he did not show up for work, and it was the 16th - the midmonth payday... he called me that evening on my cell to come to his house and pay him his quincena, because he could not come to MY house because it was still raining ...hahaha ...he didn't come to work that day because he didn't want to get soaked. Buy a raincoat, for god's sake!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
It really depends.
Have had it that workmen don't show up at the slightest sign of rain and other workmen just do it even when raining badly.

Again, a total generalization is out of the order but I admit that its bloody hard to find a motoconcho when it rains :bunny:

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
My 2 cents:

I'm not Dominican, but I didn't go to work today either :)

I guess the difference is I work for Dominicans, so they understand. I guess it's easier when you can work from home if you need to.

Just tap-tap-tap on the keyboard and the occasional Jell-o shot.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Very naive to suggest taking a publico or guagua on a rainy day. As packed as they are on a clear day, it makes it a rediculous suggestion to try to get on one in the rain (Let's see, I'll stand in the rain and wait 20 minutes for the next guagua or publico, only to find it full and have to wait again).

As far as taking a taxi, with the average Dominican worker making less than RD$500 a day, why would he pay RD$200-300 for roudtrip taxi for the day? Even if he is well paid (i.e. RD$20,000/month) a taxi is prohibitive.

Employers, you have to take the good with the bad. If you want to do business in the DR with the advantages of the DR payscale, you have to take the Dominican work ethic.

Reactions: Africaida

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I disagree. IF THIS COUNTRY WANTS TO COMPETE ON AN INTERNATIONAL STAGE THEN THEY MUST CHANGE THE WORK ETHIC.

I believe you reward employees who get to work in whatever conditions and you punish those who don't bother.

So it is wet - bring a change of clothes. I road the carro publico in the rain and I lived to tell the story!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I disagree. IF THIS COUNTRY WANTS TO COMPETE ON AN INTERNATIONAL STAGE THEN THEY MUST CHANGE THE WORK ETHIC.
The country may indeed want to compete on the international stage, but usually on the backs of the working man. The worker sees his employers and managers have embraced the first-world standards (Usually by flashing keys to their SUV at every opportunity) to which you want to hold him. Yet, on a middleclass Dominican salary, he can't afford to have reliable transportation to work, 24-hour electric and water in his house, a decent education for his kids, etc. etc.
Until the working man sees his share of the benefits, what would induce him to change the status quo work ethic? Expecting him to spend 30-40% of his daily pay on transortation on a rainy day?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
So lets make the comparison to other countries okay! An american working in NY makes an average middle class wage. He goes to work every day on teh bus! That is all he can afford.

There is a snow storm. DOes he call a tax to go to work? NO. Does he stay home because it is a bit difficult to get his ass to work. NO because he won't keep his job if he does that.

Here - it is raining. So get your ass out the door and get the gua gua or publico and get to work. Bring a change of clothes if you need to.

Poor working guy my butt. He wants to earn his salary then get to work even when it is inconvenient.

This in no way excuses the abuses by employers or low salaries. Don't confuse the two points please. That is now at all what I have said.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
they guy whgo shows for work is the guy who has a job
i would pay for work days
days no work = days no pay :)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Surely you jest!!!

Competition on the international stage is not in the mindset of the average Dominican. The Dominicans have many wonderful qualities but industriousness is not among them. Take your business to Germany if you want industry. Besides they think going out in the rain causes them to get the "grippe" and assorted other ailments. More fun to stay home with some Brugal and dominoes. You will not change a thing here. Get used to it and forget complaining. Dominicans are wonderful but "industriousness". You must be a newbie.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Definately not a newbie, almost 10 years here. I am just frustrated at times....

So new policy - no show - no pay. Show late - I dock the pay. SImple. Keep it up and I fire you.