They might not be cursed but they sure are stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Information will be in tomorrow's papers. In Dajabon, they had announced the renewal of shipments of needed products, foodstuffs and construction materials, by truck into Haiti.

Well the Haitians, unhappy that there is no bi-national market, decided to block the passage of the trucks and even attacked a load of live chickens and burned them. They belonged to Haitians!!....

They seem to have no patience, no understanding, no comprehension, except what they want, when they want it. It is highly frustrating. Sometimes the phrase "Well ***k them and the burros they came in on!" comes to mind.

Like what I was told nearly 50 years ago: Drop one in from Cape Canaveral (before it was Kennedy) and say "Ooops, sorry"....and then start it all over again...

This stupidity has no explanation.

HB

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Don't make just big swooping statements like that as if to imply that EVERY single Haitian voted to do that, because that is not the case. Furthermore, its not just that they are "ignorant", you are talking about a people who are on the brink of self-destruction. So you can't expect them to just act perfectly rational. Yes it IS frustrating, but Haitians are not more 'stupid' than any other group of people. I've seen Dominicans get upset and block the roads with burning tires and what not. Stupid? Maybe, maybe not, the point is when you are at the point of stress, desperation and anger, you do things that are not that civil minded.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I admit that I am very unhappy about what happened. I don't really mind that they blocked the trucks, I can understand that.

What I don't understand is how they could set fire to food that was purchased by their own countryment for consumption in Haiti!!! That just seems barbaric to me. I am sorry.

They had a place to hold the market, but it was not the normal site so they rejected it, and said no market.

THis kind of ignorance is really dangerous...it is the mob mentality, mindless destruction with no positive outcome.

Perhaps they just do not know the importance of isolating and defeating the cholera outbreak (which I am the first to admit was not at all their fault!!!).

I guess the mindlessness? of all this is just too baffling for me...sorry, frustrations have set in and I don't seem to see any light at the end of the tunnel that is not a train coming our way.

If that Storm called Tomas dumps anything like the rains that are being predicted, the country will be inundated with mudslides and flooding and landslides...and cholera will be much more widespread. OMG!

HB

This from a Mike Fisher post:
they have only 1 Chance:
Tomas passes the Channel between kamaica and SW Haiti heading NNE passing then the channel between SE Cuba and NW Haiti.
that would kill just a few thousands.
every Track somewhere 50-70 miles east of that projected tracking, full and easy within the Cones of possible Tracks, will print 5 Figures Numbers on the List, If there's anybody left able to take a count.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Don't make just big swooping statements like that as if to imply that EVERY single Haitian voted to do that, because that is not the case. Furthermore, its not just that they are "ignorant", you are talking about a people who are on the brink of self-destruction. So you can't expect them to just act perfectly rational. Yes it IS frustrating, but Haitians are not more 'stupid' than any other group of people. I've seen Dominicans get upset and block the roads with burning tires and what not. Stupid? Maybe, maybe not, the point is when you are at the point of stress, desperation and anger, you do things that are not that civil minded.

Well said , Jean Pierre... Please send some coquille saint jacques to DR and all is good

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Look, it's real simple to me.

From the evidence that I've read, seen and experienced, Haitians in a group easily fall prey to behaviour that would not seem normal to the rest of the world. Call it what you like, they are a different breed.

Just to give an example, I once gave a ride to a few Haitian people (men and wimmen) and dropped them off at their batey... before I knew it there were a group of people demanding that I bring them this there and everywhere,... when I declined they started shaking the car, like they wanted to lynch me...

Not wanting a damaged car, I honked my horn, put my foot on the gas and left..

To me this is irrational behaviour at best.

May 29, 2006
The surest way to get DR chickens into Haiti is to make importing them illegal publically and then do little to enforce it. This will create an artificial high price in Haiti and the chickens and eggs will be "smuggled" across the so-called "border." The border guards would get bribes, the importers would make more money, and chickens would be available to those willing to pay more. Raising the price would also encourage people to raise their own chickens on the Haitian side of the border.

I'm being flippant, but it would not surprise me if such a tactic worked.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I?ve always said that Haiti was predestine to fail. All their actions, is forcefully driving them in that direction. :ermm:

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010

From the evidence that I've read, seen and experienced, Haitians in a group easily fall prey to behaviour that would not seem normal to the rest of the world. Call it what you like, they are a different breed.

Just to give an example, I once gave a ride to a few Haitian people (men and wimmen) and dropped them off at their batey... before I knew it there were a group of people demanding that I bring them this there and everywhere,... when I declined they started shaking the car, like they wanted to lynch me...

Its unfortunate that you had a bad experience, but it would still be unreasonable to conclude that ALL of them are prone to this type of behavior - which you imply by saying "Call it what you like, they are a different breed." Everybody is a 'different breed' no? Are Haitians more ignorant by birth?? Of course not, they have the same capacity to learn and progress as any other human being. But their situation (Deplorable Poverty) does much to stifle that progress.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

It is not so irrational. It is quite common for humans to use whatever power they have, or know how to use, to get whatever they think they need (want) without concern for any one else. In the case of institutionally destitute people, I would expect that the only power they have ever seen be effective is the use of physical intimidation, particularly as a mob.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I have never personally eaten a "mud cookie" or slept in the street but if things got that bad I could imagine losing much of my rational mind. I think we all should reread "Lord of the Flies".

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
enough said

Alas, it seems that not only could Kant do much to enlighten the Haitians, but some posters too..

Wuarhat, BJP, explanation is not a justification

Who said anything about justification? If I was talking about justification ...

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Information will be in tomorrow's papers. In Dajabon, they had announced the renewal of shipments of needed products, foodstuffs and construction materials, by truck into Haiti.

Well the Haitians, unhappy that there is no bi-national market, decided to block the passage of the trucks and even attacked a load of live chickens and burned them. They belonged to Haitians!!....

They seem to have no patience, no understanding, no comprehension, except what they want, when they want it. It is highly frustrating. Sometimes the phrase "Well ***k them and the burros they came in on!" comes to mind.

Like what I was told nearly 50 years ago: Drop one in from Cape Canaveral (before it was Kennedy) and say "Ooops, sorry"....and then start it all over again...

This stupidity has no explanation.

HB

gotta ask you a real question.

to what do you attribute the differences in % welfare recipients, % incarcerated, teen pregnancy rates, and school grade completed between Haitians and Dominicans in NYC?

You don't even have to ask which group leads (or trails) in each statistic.

I've asked a lot of smug and proud DRs this question and never gotten an answer.

I won't even bring up the drug trade and the strippers.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
gotta ask you a real question.

to what do you attribute the differences in % welfare recipients, % incarcerated, teen pregnancy rates, and school grade completed between Haitians and Dominicans in NYC?

You don't even have to ask which group leads (or trails) in each statistic.

I've asked a lot of smug and proud DRs this question and never gotten an answer.

I won't even bring up the drug trade and the strippers.

Since you seem to have ALL the stats, how many Haitian majors, congressmen, city councillors...etc. If you want to comment on the bad you have to comment on the good.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Since you seem to have ALL the stats, how many Haitian majors, congressmen, city councillors...etc. If you want to comment on the bad you have to comment on the good.

The question I asked, which never goes answered, was directly meant to be addressed to hillbilly and ANYONE else who chooses to stereotype Haitians as being inherently "stupid", backwards, inferior, etc.

Given some of the same chances in life ,Haitians achieve and are as productive as any other group.

I've NEVER had problems with DRs until being online really and I try to nip it in the bud early by having people face certain realities.

The DRs I've known and met in REAL LIFE are in some of the same circles that I'm in....so many are doing productive things and enjoying fulfilled lives. They tend not to be angry and have to look down on other ethnic groups to feel better about themselves. Those are the people I'm used to.

This Haitian hating element of DRs are new to me.

and to ANSWER your question, Fernando Mateo and a lot of other DRs are doing a good job of organizing their people into a political force. respect for that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This Haitian hating element of DRs are new to me.
I hope you do know that Dominicans are a small minority on DR1. You're mostly talking to Americans, Canadians and people native to various countries in Europe.

And Hillbilly is not Dominican (well, after all these years, he probably is aplatanado. ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.