DR treatment in PR same as Hait. in DR?

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Read a report a few years ago about DR's fleeing the country by boat to sneak in Puerto Rico.

Just a few days ago, there was an article about new laws regarding birth certificates in PR
======================

The Government of Puerto Rico recently passed a law invalidating all Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to July 1, 2010, and replacing them with enhanced security birth certificates with features to combat passport fraud and identity theft.

Beginning on the 30th of October 2010, the Department of State will no longer accept Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to the 1st of July 2010 as primary proof of U.S. citizenship for a U.S. passport book or passport card. Only Puerto Rican birth certificates issued on or after the 1st of July 2010 will be accepted as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship. The requirement does not affect Puerto Ricans who already hold a valid U.S. passport.
================

It seems the law is meant to target people who illegally entered PR and then got bogus documents that qualify them for privileges and documents that US citizens have.

Do DRs get the type of treatment in PR that some Mexican illegal immigrants receive in the US and that some Haitian illegal immigrants receive in DR .....discrimination, humiliation and exploitation.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I read the Puerto Rican newspapers occasionally and I've noticed derogatory remarks about Dominicans in the readers' comments. In one case even in a story that was not even connected to Dominicans.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Chiri, I guess immigrants are treated similarly around the world. Haitians in DR, Mexicans in US, Albanians in Italy, Dominicans in PR, etc., etc. :ermm:

Germans, Irish, Italians, etc., all faced discrimination and paid their dues in the US 100+ years ago. No one is exempt. People are very territorial.

AE

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There certainly is a percentage of the population in PR that resents Dominicans. My wife used to tell me how some of the boricuas would talk bad about Dominicans at the hair saloon in Orlando and she would never speak up because she is really shy. But we also went to a majority PR church and were treated as family. I think it's just normal in any society to have a certain segment that hate immigrants. Surprisingly the Univision forums are not moderated well and you can see what I'm talking about on the DR forum. It's similar to the worst stuff some Dominicans say about Haitians.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
In my observations Boricuas from NY or mainland USA gets along well with Dominicans, though is another story for Boricuas from the island in the island. The discrimination start at the airport or port, it seems like they have a goal of making the life of any single Dominican entering Borinquen soil miserable.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Many families are interrelated in PR and DR (and even in Cuba), to them it presents no problem from what I've heard through the family grapevine... although there is the stereotype of the 'slightly backward farmer' attached to Dominicans in PR..

A nice example is the Dominican drug dealer in 'Talento del Barrio' by Daddy Yankee

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Many families are interrelated in PR and DR (and even in Cuba), to them it presents no problem from what I've heard through the family grapevine... although there is the stereotype of the 'slightly backward farmer' attached to Dominicans in PR..
This is true, but you do find yourself in awkward situations, especially when they forget or don't know you're Dominican and decide to warn you about Dominicans.

But, there is much mixture between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans; even among the upper levels of society. Many of the prominent last names in Puerto Rico are the same one's in the DR, in part because they are all one big multi-island family.

Even the Trujillo's have a family member working in the Puerto Rican government.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
In my observations Boricuas from NY or mainland USA gets along well with Dominicans, though is another story for Boricuas from the island in the island. The discrimination start at the airport or port, it seems like they have a goal of making the life of any single Dominican entering Borinquen soil miserable.
on a street level in NYC DR and PR are always at odds...

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
Same in New Jersey high schools near me.

AE

anybody who lives in a metro area with sizable DR and PR populations knows what time it is, but like I said....this seems like a subject people would rather not talk about in general.

they don't wanna talk about what goes down in PR or the conflicts that go on here.

getthesenets

Nov 4, 2010
It may be that no one here has lived in Puerto Rico alongside Dominicans. Last week there was a thread by a Puerto Rican girl who said that Dominicans blend in perfectly in PR.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/108353-dominicans-puerto-rico.html

AE
Well, the new law they have down there in PR is a direct result of DRs entering the US via PR. I'm assuming that people here have family who stayed in PR fro some time before getting to the mainland and they most certainly discussed what life was like over there.