buying a TV in the DR

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Where would you find the best deal and quality when buying a new TV in Puerto Plata or Santiago? How much would you have to pay for a LCD 36-40 inch TV? Perhaps a Samsung or equivalent model.

I know it is going to be expensive, but was wondering how expensive they are and how long out of date they are as well.

I tried the search function but didn't get any results.

Thanks.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Surprising you didn't get any hits when you searched. There's been several posts about TV's. Expect to pay at least double what you would pay for an equivalent TV in the US.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Where would you find the best deal and quality when buying a new TV in Puerto Plata or Santiago? How much would you have to pay for a LCD 36-40 inch TV? Perhaps a Samsung or equivalent model.

I know it is going to be expensive, but was wondering how expensive they are and how long out of date they are as well.

Thanks.

If you are looking for a Samsung, go to Corripio, they have some good deals although not cheap by any standards. I bought a 30 something inch there about a year ago for less than RD$30k.

If it's cheap you want, go to Plaza Lama but don't expect it to last for much longer than the warranty period.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ship it in...rather than buy in RD

And remember... the old "tube" tv's use less power than the new flat screens...I made that mistake on my solar system... should have brought in my old tube

WW

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006

Thanks.

We just bought a 42 inch LG, LCD flat screen from PriceSmart for $40,000rd. The same TV at Costco in Canada is listed at $650.u.s. less than half the price.....

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
If it's over, say $500, and the TV you want will fit in a suitcase... you may consider flying to Miami, picking one up there, and bringing it back with you. We brought a flat-screen TV in a carry-on suitcase without any probs.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
The size I want will not fit into a carry on. I already have done that and have a 19 inch flat screen.

More importantly, I am under the impression you are not allowed to bring in new televisions - or used ones either.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I had heard this also, that customs will charge you the value of the TV in fees.

More importantly, I am under the impression you are not allowed to bring in new televisions - or used ones either.

I had heard this also; that customs will charge you the value of the TV in fees.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Your best bet is either PriceSmart or 8choa, in Santiago. Also keep in mind that the LED TV?s cunsume much less energy than the LCD and the Plasma. To give you an idea, the 50 inch LED TV consumes the same as the 31 inch LCD TV.

Good Luck.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
a LCD TV buy only if you get a very cheapy Deal.
a Plasma TV do not Buy, don't take if for Free.
LED is what you should look on if you wanna buy a new TV.
we are close to the typical X-mas Discount Deals now,
be assured that the biggest Flat Screens available for the Price of a reasonable PC-Monitor will be Plasmas, they need to get Rid of 'em b'c nobody buys such since a longer while. they do jot only consume a lot of the Electrical Bill, they are also very sendsible If you live in an area where the electricity to your House is not very stable, means all around DR, lol.
Today's LED is the only Way to Go.
Mike

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
The size I want will not fit into a carry on. I already have done that and have a 19 inch flat screen.

A projector that's 1080p and produces a great 120"+ picture was about the size of a laptop but lighter and easily fit in my suitcase. If customs asked I would have said it went with my laptop for making presentations, but nobody asked.

May 29, 2006
I read somewhere on the boards that if you go to the bother of importing a TV, import two and sell the other. You end up with a free TV.

You can bring pretty big objects on a plane. I brought two large campstoves with me once with a combined weight of about 80 pounds. They were about 15x10x30 inches each.

The restriction on TVs is for just tube screens as far as I know.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
while TV's are here more expensive than in the USA, in case of comparison to Germany I found them even cheaper over here, they are not double plus the shipping costs plus what you have to discount to sell the 2nd TV.
who would suggest such?
Mike

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I read somewhere on the boards that if you go to the bother of importing a TV, import two and sell the other. You end up with a free TV.

You can bring pretty big objects on a plane. I brought two large campstoves with me once with a combined weight of about 80 pounds. They were about 15x10x30 inches each.

The restriction on TVs is for just tube screens as far as I know.

using business mail here in SD,a 42inch flat screen was the price of tv in states plus $700.00 shipping and itbis.This was a few months ago.
bob

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's correct,
here will be the X-mas offers Now and right after the holidays the prices will dive down in a free Fall for the thousands of left overs.
I am looking for a new additional one myself, but I will not buy before x-mas eve passed.
somebody mention great Guarantee Conditions at Pricesmart etc,
don't forget the $700.- Shipping, if the TV get's damaged here to claim the Guarantee You would need to ship it back to the seller, shipping usually is on the buyer's costs, I don't think a USA or Canada or European Based Company would pay for shipping from the Caribbean and back as part of their guarantee.

Mike

May 29, 2006
Some prices listed at US big box stores this weekend are:

17"--$100
19"--$169
32"--$329
40"--$500
46"--$600
50"--$1000

I told my 80 year-old dad about the 17" for $100(at Walmart), and he asked, "For a color TV?"