Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default buying a TV in the DR

Where would you find the best deal and quality when buying a new TV in Puerto Plata or Santiago? How much would you have to pay for a LCD 36-40 inch TV? Perhaps a Samsung or equivalent model.

I know it is going to be expensive, but was wondering how expensive they are and how long out of date they are as well.

I tried the search function but didn't get any results.

Thanks.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprising you didn't get any hits when you searched. There's been several posts about TV's. Expect to pay at least double what you would pay for an equivalent TV in the US.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiree View Post
    Where would you find the best deal and quality when buying a new TV in Puerto Plata or Santiago? How much would you have to pay for a LCD 36-40 inch TV? Perhaps a Samsung or equivalent model.

I know it is going to be expensive, but was wondering how expensive they are and how long out of date they are as well.

Thanks.
    If you are looking for a Samsung, go to Corripio, they have some good deals although not cheap by any standards. I bought a 30 something inch there about a year ago for less than RD$30k.

If it's cheap you want, go to Plaza Lama but don't expect it to last for much longer than the warranty period.
    Last edited by Bryanell; 11-04-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Too many r's and not enough comma's

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Ship it in...rather than buy in RD

And remember... the old "tube" tv's use less power than the new flat screens...I made that mistake on my solar system... should have brought in my old tube

WW

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

We just bought a 42 inch LG, LCD flat screen from PriceSmart for $40,000rd. The same TV at Costco in Canada is listed at $650.u.s. less than half the price.....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

40,000 RD is about 1100 US. 650 is certainly a lot less, but not less than half.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default buying a TV in the DR

If it's over, say $500, and the TV you want will fit in a suitcase... you may consider flying to Miami, picking one up there, and bringing it back with you. We brought a flat-screen TV in a carry-on suitcase without any probs.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The size I want will not fit into a carry on. I already have done that and have a 19 inch flat screen.

More importantly, I am under the impression you are not allowed to bring in new televisions - or used ones either.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdbt View Post
    40,000 RD is about 1100 US. 650 is certainly a lot less, but not less than half.
    It is when you add in the 16% ITBIS.....right?????

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I had heard this also, that customs will charge you the value of the TV in fees.

More importantly, I am under the impression you are not allowed to bring in new televisions - or used ones either.
    I had heard this also; that customs will charge you the value of the TV in fees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast