travel insurance in DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
quesion directed to visitors: did you ever have to use your american/european travel insurance while in DR? for any services from paying for the doctor, emergency surgery or even transporting a body of a dead relative?
i would like to know how this works. all insurances work just fine? you have to pay in cash and then claim your money back or the insurance pays directly to the doctor/hospital?

my polish friends are coming for a visit and somehow health is one of their concerns...

thanks for all responses.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
In some cases the insurance company pays here directly. And in others the tourists pay first and claim back the money.

American friends of mine spent 3 weeks in Centro Medico. When they left the unpaid balance was literally 0. Nada. The insurance company paid 100%

Your friends need to ask the questions from the travel insurance company to find out if it is honored here in this country, and or give you the company name and you double check if it is accepted here.

C

c398x2

I understand

Sorry, but as a mainly reader of scenarios for information here, I see the logic with the Poles question and also as a very valid concern.

<O:p</O:p
CobraBoyeee tell me how great the life is there in the DR and that I should move there so as to get away.

By being the old coot that I am, even if I were 2 die (hopefully) ‘in the arms of some wench’, I know it is expensive to move the ‘remains’ back to the point of the origin and there’s massive paperwork involved at both sides of Customs.

The (in my case) the US E<ST1:p</ST1:pmbassy can pay for; and loan to – a receiver (i.e. Executor, Estate etc) monies for transport. Last I checked - $US10K from PTY to USA (MIA) <ST1:p</ST1:pin the belly of the plane. Hefty price. THEN, there's still the onward costs for burial.

Having a LW&T is one’s wallet, so as to cremate, and as to send forward, is more economically to one’s Estate & seems to be the most practical.
Any Viking funeral pyres en float, doing some 'pre-pay' business in the DR?:paranoid: Pre-paid alcoholic fueled funeral festivals available?

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my friends are pretty cool themselves but their family seems to panic a bit :) they already predict quarantine because of the cholera :)
i want to be helpful and put their mind at peace with "no worries, travel insurances really work" or at least take all hope with "no worries, nothing works" so that they are ready for the worst.

C

c398x2

Understand, but ...

IF, something major happens ... 'cool' don't hack it.

Have 'em check with their Polish 'State Department' for their country's particulars and contacts there? IT might sooth their minds.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Seven or so years ago when I was a visitor, I needed to be hospitalised in Puerto Plata, and my travel insurance (can't remember which now) picked up the whole tab after a call from the hospital here. Left after paying nada!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I can only reply for Belgium, but am pretty sure it is similar for Poland.

If you pay for your flight-tickets by Visa or MC, your medical emergencies will be covered by their insurance (free), the rest will be covered by your national healthcare

If not so, your national health insurance will cover most of your expenses... a visit to the doctor will have to be advanced by yourself, a longer stay will be advanced by national healthcare if they are warned within 24 hours...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am pretty sure polish health system is about 100 years behind zimbabwe :)
to make matters worse there ain't no polish embassy nor consulate. there is some sort of an official who is supposedly a honorary consul or whatstheword but he is dominican and speaks no polish :) in fact i do not even think he speaks english as all our conversations were in spanish :)

i think it will be best if they read the small print and buy what is best.
thanks all for their input :)

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
i think it will be best if they read the small print and buy what is best.
thanks all for their input :)

This is good common sense for any insurance product,any financial product and even airline tickets........... in fact apply it to everything. And, as a precaution go to the clinics yourself and double check acceptance of this companies insurance. And then your friends will be protected and their families satisfied.

May 5, 2007
Most travel insurance companies offer different levels of protection, make certain you select one where medical coverage s PRIMARY. If it is primary, the Insurance company will pay the expense up front, if not you will have to pay expenses and seek reimbursement from company.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Having travel insurance is important at any age.

I have a Cdn friend who has been out cold - in a coma for two days -following a coronary in Ft Lauderdale after returning from a cruise.
He's 64 with no family history.... not overweight

At this point seizures are continuing and there is zero brain activity.

His children are trying to determine his coverage.

You never know

WW

C

c398x2

'Having travel insurance is important at any age.'

and including the proper coverage for the most extreme and bizare situations - that many younger people feel will never-ever happen to them - as they're 'invincible.'

As an example for American Xpats in here:Emergency Abroad Getting Help

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Other Cdn friends of ours vacation in Fla every winter... own a house there... so they take insurance.

She had two bouts of pneumonia......$10,000 + each
His pacemaker acted up.....$35,000

Between OHIP and the travel insurance, they never got involved or paid a dime

We carry a global insurance package which covers RD, USA and Canada... one restriction is that we cannot stay in the US more than 6 months.
I can think of another reason not to be in the US for more than 6 months;)

WW

C

c398x2

quesion(sic) directed to visitors: did you ever have to use your American European (sic) travel insurance while in DR? for any services from paying for the doctor, emergency surgery or even transporting a body of a dead relative?
i would like to know how this works. all insurances work just fine? you have to pay in cash and then claim your money back or the insurance pays directly to the doctor/hospital?

my polish friends are coming for a visit and somehow health is one of their concerns...ffice:eek:ffice"

We carry a global insurance package<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
WW, appreciate the input but, WHAT exactly is a ‘global insurance package?’ Would/Does it cover “even transporting a body of a dead relative?”<O:p></O:p>

Different cultures have different perspectives on health care and older ones, especially those whose memories of the Cold War Era, might be inclined to be ‘concerned’ coupled with the costs that might be involved, with G*d forbid, the ‘worst case scenario.’<O:p</O:p

Sorry to sound like the broken record up in here. As late as early 2008, I was working with a MAJOR non-profit and I gave away monies in order to solve those same type problems (financially) for the untimely deaths/major injuries to those who ‘thought IT would never happen to them’ and to those who ‘thought’ they were covered.
Juz saying … 'Fine Print' that has to be read and comprehended AFTERwards?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Can't answer the Dead body question offhand... will need to look it up.

By Global Policy, I just mean we are not restricted to a single country... we picked our countries to be covered in.
Found on some travel/ex-pat site..... they are out of Chicago.

I'm sure there are several companies to choose from..... think about it..... a lot of people are mobile in today's world.

WW

Reactions: SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Can't answer the Dead body question offhand... will need to look it up.

By Global Policy, I just mean we are not restricted to a single country... we picked our countries to be covered in.
Found on some travel/ex-pat site..... they are out of Chicago.

I'm sure there are several companies to choose from..... think about it..... a lot of people are mobile in today's world.

WW

If you could possibly find the time to locate the travel site and Insurance carrier that you refer to it would be appreciated.

D in Santiago/Tampa

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you could possibly find the time to locate the travel site and Insurance carrier that you refer to it would be appreciated.

D in Santiago/Tampa

Sure.... Int'l Medical Group

Travel Insurance, Travel Health Insurance, International Travel Insurance

We have one daughter in Australia for a working vacation..... she is covered by these people too.
They precertify you quite carefully for pre-existing conditions... that would be my only complaint.
Luckily , we have had no claims yet - so I cannot speak to that

Oddly, the cost for this was LESS than we were paying for US coverage in Pennsylvania

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Death... Mortal Remains

OK...I researched the death query.

If a covered illness/accident results in death, the policy allows up to $50,000 for the return of the mortal remains.
Straight off the website

WW

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Other Cdn friends of ours vacation in Fla every winter... own a house there... so they take insurance.

She had two bouts of pneumonia......$10,000 + each
His pacemaker acted up.....$35,000

Between OHIP and the travel insurance, they never got involved or paid a dime

We carry a global insurance package which covers RD, USA and Canada... one restriction is that we cannot stay in the US more than 6 months.
I can think of another reason not to be in the US for more than 6 months;)

WW

In what Province do you live?
Are you sure that your insurance policy says you cannot stay (.......) ? Is it your interpretation or the exact words of your policy ?? I find it strange that there is a restriction for the USA and not for the DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In what Province do you live?
Are you sure that your insurance policy says you cannot stay (.......) ? Is it your interpretation or the exact words of your policy ?? I find it strange that there is a restriction for the USA and not for the DR

I don't live in Canada any more, but I summer on Lake Huron.

Can't say about the US exclusion, except perhaps the company is restricted from offering a policy that might be construed as a "full time" US health plan.

WW