Doing Away With Prostitution - Good or Bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
It is well established that the Dominican Republic is a popular destination for 'sex tourism'. But what would happen if Prostitution was completely eliminated in the Dominican Republic? Of course, we all know that will never happen, but the answer to that and the following question will highlight another social issue.

With Prostitution comes tourism (be it directly related to sex-tourism or not), and with tourism comes income. Naturally, not EVERYBODY is coming for something sex related, but I think its safe to say that a considerable number of people do come with that intention - Men AND Women. This income is subsequently spread around and allows for many people in the Dominican Republic to make a living or at least help them make ends meet. The sex tourist from 'X-Country' goes to a Bar=spends money, takes a gua gua=spends money, pays the 'sex worker'=spends money, takes a motoconcho back to his hotel=spends money, stops for yaniqueque's=spends money etc etc. So with all euphemistically connected contexts aside, we will call that a PRO.

But then on the OTHER hand, with such an open and accepted Prostitution and Sex Industry comes the increase of STD's especially HIV. Then you have unwanted pregnancies, and mother's (and fathers) ill equipped to take care of a family. You also usually see an increase in violence where you find more prostitution. Then there are the more subtle but significant 'moral' deconstructions that come with prostitution. Young girls begin to think that selling their bodies for money is just as 'easier' way out, while getting an education gradually appears to be something that is less likely, further away and not attainable. Young boys grew up to be Men who have little or less respect for a Women and who view them as something inferior and non-important, only a tool used for sexual gratification. Of course not EVERYBODY is affected in that way, but many are. So we will call that a CON.

So if you had to choose between having INCREASED Prostitution or NO Prostitution at all - based on the affects mentioned above, which overall would be 'better' for el pueblo dominicano??

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there probably isnt much point in discussing something that wont happen and hasnt happened in any other country around the world

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
there probably isnt much point in discussing something that wont happen and hasnt happened in any other country around the world

Probably is not a definite. I already know that it is not going to happen. But as mentioned the answer to that question is foundation to another.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
it will always be there , its a question of how obvious you would like it to be- so i would vote for more rather than none - we dont want people spontaneously combusting on the streets

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It would be more productive to talk about the D.R. outlawing pork or Kentucky Fried Chicken.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
i'm not sure

but i think it was somewhere around the line of

"are dominicans getting enuf sex"?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
i'm not sure

but i think it was somewhere around the line of

"are dominicans getting enuf sex"?

Is anyone?

Personally I'm getting tired of being percieved as a sexual objective by Dominican Women. I'll be back in a few days....

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
So if you had to choose between having INCREASED Prostitution or NO Prostitution at all - based on the affects mentioned above, which overall would be 'better' for el pueblo dominicano??

Still don't understand the question :glasses:

Is it a poll ?:ermm:

No prostitution ? Is there such a place in the world ?
Increase ? How do you increase prostition ? TV ads, trade schools ?

How about decrease ?

oh, well, I give up :eek:

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Still don't understand the question :glasses:

Is it a poll ?:ermm:

No prostitution ? Is there such a place in the world ?
Increase ? How do you increase prostition ? TV ads, trade schools ?

How about decrease ?

oh, well, I give up :eek:

Ok, let me simplify it. Which would bring the most benefit? - be them tangible or not. No prostitution would rid society of certain social 'ills', but it was also take away a significant source of income. Increased prostitution would bring more income but also with it would come the socials 'ills' mentioned previously.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks for simplifying :)

But, i still don't understand the point of your question.

Anyway, don't mind me...

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
peaceful poverty or raunchy richness

the dr can't have one without the other

society is too advanced and everyone wants the goodies
and goodies costs money
the more money the more goodies

the problem for the dr is
they don't have the industialization that other countries have
and the resources the dr has is limited or not as valuable to the world market as other countries

as for which is better...that's a person by person choice
in some situations in life it's better to find a happy medium

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
...never happen.

So why go on about a totally impossible hypothetical?

Because it is not about the question itself, its about how people VIEW prostitution - the 'benefits' (if you must) and the negative affects. The question is not the point, but rather presents it. In other words, is it worth it?? Is it better to promote it, tolerate it or destroy it?? All of which are 'relative' terms of no definite value or meaning, but its the thinking and mentality behind each that should be of importance.

Prostitution brings a lot of things with it - everything from economic opportunity to STD's. Good and both Bad. So, what I am asking is how do people view the good and bad. If things were different and prostitution could be completely removed, would the benefits of such outweigh the presence of it in Dominican society?

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
peaceful poverty or raunchy richness

the dr can't have one without the other

society is too advanced and everyone wants the goodies
and goodies costs money
the more money the more goodies

the problem for the dr is
they don't have the industialization that other countries have
and the resources the dr has is limited or not as valuable to the world market as other countries

as for which is better...that's a person by person choice
in some situations in life it's better to find a happy medium

Good point. I also think Sex is more 'open' and accepted and that no doubt has to contribute it being perpetuated. Of course prostitution exist even in the most sexually reserved societies and cultures, but I think when sex is not tip toed around it becomes more acceptable to do related things - prostitution being one of them. You can even see it in the way people dance. To some its 'just a dance', something that is common, but to others its 'provocative, suggestive' etc. And that comes from a generally 'open' attitude about sex etc.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
im sorry but what is up w trying to peg the DR as some kind of kooky exception of the world. are you this concerned about prostitution and homosexuality wherever you are from? seriously. i question your motives....and the dominican in me is getting a spidey signal from your name too. yeah. i said it. stone me.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Is prostitution accepted in the DR ? I did not think so, but I could be wrong...

Isn't it caused by poverty rather than the perceived "openness" to sex ?

Status
Not open for further replies.