Daylight Savings Time ended last night

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For those of you who live here and think there, please remember that last night was "Fall Back" , which means that those on daylight savings time are now one hour behind us here in the DR.

Thanks to some stupidity of the authorities a few years ago, the DR no longer changes its time and we stay on what is basically the Atlantic Standard Time.

This now means that we are one hour ahead of NY, MIA, and Boston...Just so you know...

So when you are looking for your favorite TV show, just wait an hour and it will show up...

Yawn...

HB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
For those of you who live here and think there, please remember that last night was "Fall Back" , which means that those on daylight savings time are now one hour behind us here in the DR.

Thanks to some stupidity of the authorities a few years ago, the DR no longer changes its time and we stay on what is basically the Atlantic Standard Time.

This now means that we are one hour ahead of NY, MIA, and Boston...Just so you know...

So when you are looking for your favorite TV show, just wait an hour and it will show up...

Yawn...

HB

I remembered when they used to change the time "I was in high school", and nobody liked it. Everybody was complaining, parents who kids went to school in the afternoon were worried because by the time their kids came out of school it was pitch dark outside.

And I don't think the DR needs to do the day light saving anyway.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I used to love it. Gave me an hour in the office before NY & Miami started calling... and wouldn't hear from the US west coast until noon!

Feb 7, 2007
I remembered when they used to change the time "I was in high school", and nobody liked it. Everybody was complaining, parents who kids went to school in the afternoon were worried because by the time their kids came out of school it was pitch dark outside.

And I don't think the DR needs to do the day light saving anyway.

Well, what you said is illogical. Because HAD DR BEEN on daylight savings time, right now what will be today 6pm would otherwise be only 5 PM. You would actually get one more hour of daylight in the evening... so your argument lacks the base.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

I don't like having my tv schedule screwed up, but I don't agree it was stupid of the DR not to change. I clearly remember all the confusion caused by the short experiment with changing the time and the apparently inability of Dominicans to adjust to the change. It wasn't just the government that ended the experiment, I clearly remember that it was popular demand. There was far more support for staying the same as we were, the same as Puerto Rico and the other Caribbean islands, than there was for continuing with the time change experiment.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ace of Base

Well, what you said is illogical. Because HAD DR BEEN on daylight savings time, right now what will be today 6pm would otherwise be only 5 PM. You would actually get one more hour of daylight in the evening... so your argument lacks the base.

Actually you can now take your foot out of your mouth, if you move the clocks back ending DST in the Fall, then at 5PM it will be dark like 6PM! We are not talking about the Spring, the start of DST, just semantics.

I guess moving the alarm clock forward 23 hours can get confusing.

Reactions: Lucille

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, thats right Tambo. Actually DR has "summertime" all year round, and I think that is a good thing.

Reactions: Tamborista

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Actually you can now take your foot out of your mouth, if you move the clocks back ending DST in the Fall, then at 5PM it will be dark like 6PM! We are not talking about the Spring, the start of DST, just semantics.

Exzachery! Spring forward, fall back...especially when the rum kicks in. :laugh:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Confusing ??

After we changed the clocks this morning, we thought we could call our daughter in Australia at a better hour.

It used to be a 14 hour difference, then went 15 hours when Australia went to Daylight savings time.
Now that we gone to Standard time it is 16 hours.

They "sprung forward" and we "fell back" --- each adding an hour to the spread.
That took me a few minutes over coffee this morning to rationalize:glasses:

WW

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In 2000, when changing the time in the DR was mandated, Eddy made this observation, "now Dominicans will be on time 6 months of the year and 2 hours late the rest of the year."

In a 2002 post on the changing time, I said, "In the US, changing the clocks at 2 am to 3am Eastern time, means there is the "loss" of one hour. I can recall that when the DR had a failed experiment with daylight savings time in 2000 that one of the questions that worried many Dominicans was where did the extra hour come from (when they "fell back") and where the lost hour would go when they "sprang ahead"."

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I also disagree on this. I do not like changing the time. I didn't like it when I was in the US.

It's a holdover from the agrarian economy days. It gave farmers an extra hour of evening daylight to work their kids in the field planting and harvesting when school was out for Summer.

Many now think that Daylight Savings and school Summer Vacation are equally useless since most people have been urbanized. We may end up rethinking these issues in accordance with modern day considerations...after more pressing issues are attended to.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The US (or at least parts of it) actually experimented with DST year round back in the 70s. It was rejected because it was still too dark when children needed to go to school in the morning.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
It's a holdover from the agrarian economy days. It gave farmers an extra hour of evening daylight to work their kids in the field planting and harvesting when school was out for Summer.

Many now think that Daylight Savings and school Summer Vacation are equally useless since most people have been urbanized. We may end up rethinking these issues in accordance with modern day considerations...after more pressing issues are attended to.

You may think this is a joke, but it has been proven that daylight saving has an enormously bad influence on the milk-production of cows. For a number of weeks the poor beasts are confused, and produce much less and poor quality of milk...

I think we have an international rooster here in the neighbourhood... the damn birds alarm-clock has gone completely haywire... :bunny:

Never seen much use in the daylight saving for people with regular jobs... what you saved at one part of the day, you lost again at the other end...

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

Rubio, are you having a Blond moment? :cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

I remember when Georgia went DST. Parents complained that their kids went to school in the dark in the morning, and it was colder. But business and recreation interests won the "day."

I distinctly remember seeing a long black limo stuck in morning traffic in front of me with a bumper sticker that said: "Let the little bastards freeze to death in the dark"

:cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Don't forget to check the batteries in your smoke detectors.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Energy

Isn't it supposed to help reduce energy consumption?

Isn't that why it has been extended to the ridiculous time in November as opposed to earlier in October.

Here on Lake Huron last week, sunrise was listed as 8:08am....... how stupid is that?
Likewise in the summer, it stays light WAY too long.

As education, where I am ( near Detroit ) is deep into the eastern time zone -- so the sun is off about 45 minutes from say, NYC -- 45 minutes later to rise and set.
The time zone changes just west of here.. to Central, as in Chicago

Professor WW

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
As I recall, when the DR experimented with time changes under Hippo back in 2000(?) it was daylight with roosters crowing before 5am and dark about 4:30pm.

Utter confusion & it lasted about 2 weeks, as I recall.

Ah, just found some old articles on DR1
OCTOBER 24, 2000. Daylight savings time causes confusion
Just six days remain before Dominicans are scheduled to turn their clocks back by one hour, but ?differences and confusions among citizens and sectors? are sufficiently pronounced to justify the lead headline in today?s Listin Diario. The daylight savings measure, promulgated by President Hipolito Mejia last September 26, is scheduled to take effect next Sunday night. Proponents of the measure had argued that the integration of another hour of daylight in the workday would be good way to conserve electrical energy.
It was also argued that the measure would make commercial contacts between the DR and the U.S. more congruent.
Opponents of the measure have expressed skepticism as to the efficacy of the measure. One critic, Norberto Quezada, is quoted as saying that the only benefit will be to afford delinquents an extra hour for criminal activity. Ordinary citizens are said to be confused as to how the new clock will affect their jobs, commutation to work, and children?s schooling.

DECEMBER 4, 2000Getting up an hour earlier
This Monday morning was especially hard on all in the DR. Everyone had to get up an hour earlier. At 2 am on Sunday, 3 December clocks had been set ahead to remedy what a general consensus felt had been a mistake, the equating of the time in the DR with the eastern coast of the USA or implementing Daylight Saving Time.
The Dominican Republic is now again on Atlantic Standard Time (AST). The Dominican Republic is -4h or 4 hours West of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) which means that it is 4 hours ahead of the time in the Village
of Greenwich, England which was selected as the location of the Prime Meridian or 0 Degrees.
DR1 reader, Sang Wong helped us with the explanation of why it isn't logical that the time in the DR be the same as that of the US year round:
With Daylight Saving Time the Dominican Republic had been placed at -5h or 5 hours West of Greenwich i.e. the same as Eastern Standard Time (EST) in the US. On the 3rd of December 2000, when the Dominican Republic moved its clocks one hour ahead, it abandoned EST and returned to Atlantic Standard Time (AST), again becoming exactly four hours behind GMT.
The Tropical Latitudes are defined in relation to the angle at which the earth's axis is tilted to the plane of the ecliptic i.e. 23.5? - this means that the Tropics is that band around the earth, parallel to the equator, that lies between 23.5? North and South of the Equator. The length of day and night at the Equator remains the same throughout the year. The greatest variation in the length of day and night, throughout the year, is at the North and South poles where day or night can last for up to 6 months. Most of the continental US lies in latitudes where the annual variations in the length of day and night are large enough to justify the implementation of Daylight Saving Time.
Since the northern most point of the Dominican Republic is near Cabo Isabela (19? 55' N) and the southern most point is at the southern tip of Isla Beata (17? 33' N) the Dominican Republic is squarely within Tropical latitudes. There is some variation in the length of day and night between these latitudes throughout the year but it is rather minimal and does not justify the implementation of Daylight Saving Time.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Isn't it supposed to help reduce energy consumption?

Isn't that why it has been extended to the ridiculous time in November as opposed to earlier in October.

Here on Lake Huron last week, sunrise was listed as 8:08am....... how stupid is that?
Likewise in the summer, it stays light WAY too long.

As education, where I am ( near Detroit ) is deep into the eastern time zone -- so the sun is off about 45 minutes from say, NYC -- 45 minutes later to rise and set.
The time zone changes just west of here.. to Central, as in Chicago

Professor WW

I didn't think it reduced energy consumption in DR.
Sun was up for 2 hours before anyone was stirring in the streets.
Then, it was dark by 4:30 or 5pm... with the evening rush hour trying to get home in the dark... Christmas vendors on the sidewalks with lightbulbs strung, businesses with their lights on that wouldn't have normally had lights on for another hour in the evening. We had to turn on lights in the zona franca's that wouldn't have been turned on at all otherwise to light buildings, sidewalks, etc. as people were going home.

Really doesn't make any sense here as it swings the daylight hours too much in my opinion.