Using Walkie Talkies in the DR

Celtic Queen

Jun 19, 2010
I know this may sound like a very silly question, but as I have been traveling to the Dominican Republic for many years now and do not know the answer (and quite obviously am not a technology junkie), I decided to ask here.

Do walkie talkies actually work in the DR? Again, I know, it might be a silly question. but interested in finding out...Thanks!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
FM Frequency

Should work....they just use an FM frequency don't they ?

We used to use them to keep track of children when skiing... always losing somebody - too fast or too slow

WW

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
They work as well as they do anywhere else in the world.
What I mean by that is don't believe the range quoted on the package you purchase.
That is the absolute best case situation. But, yes they do work.

I agree. We have used them at the condo where I live.

Celtic Queen, it is not a silly question. Don't let a couple of posters apparently trying to restrict newbies from asking all your questions. The openess and welcoming of newbies is not going to be changed.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Yes.
There are restrictions on frequencies and power ratings - but of course they work.

The laws of physics are only slightly different in the D.R.

Reactions: waytogo
Aug 21, 2007
Walkie talkies work here. I use them. I have one. My gardener, who lives on my property, has one. And the night security guard is given one each evening. They are one extra layer of security for me.

One caveat. Nothing seems to last long in this country. I am on my second set of walkie talkies in 5 years. The second time around, I bought the most inexpensive available from Radio Shack..... a name brand. Then, when they cease working, I am not out an arm and a leg.

Lindsey

Celtic Queen

Jun 19, 2010
Thanks everyone, wasn't exactly sure how they functioned, and just wanted to make sure before I pack them! They really are a great way to keep track of everyone.

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
walkie talkie range

Thats a great question. I planned on buy a set of 4 to use among me and my friends for the next visit, but just how far can you go away from each other b4 the frequency cuts out?Can anyone recommend a good set?

My phone bill was crazy on my first visit, like around $375. Apparently sprint charges $2 a minute for roaming calls and a crazy amount for KB/s internet usage.

Reactions: waytogo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
walkie-talkies do work but i think you will do better buying a starter kit from orange. that is if your phone is unlocked and works with GSM.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
walkie talkies work fine here, the same way as anywhere else.
the "Reach/Distance" simply depends on the surroundings where You use them.
within a Mayor City you may find locations where they work only over the distance of a Block, while within a Flat Beach Area they may work over the distance of many Miles.
many Years ago we used them to stay in touch with small Boats working in the bavaro Area Inshore, mostly they been fine throughout the whole Area, from the Arena Gorda Area(Iberostar Hotels) til Cabeza de Toro on the South, been the Models with 5 Watts of sending Power, there are difference s in the Power of the different available Models. I am in no way up to Date what is available in case of sending and receiving powers of them Today's.

the Models You can purchase at the usual Stores here in the Country or in the USA do not interfere with the protected Frequencies used in the Country, no worries on that.

Mountains, High Rise Buildings, Areas of many Palm Trees etc are Killers for the signal and Cut down on the Distance of functionality a lot.

in case You Plan to Live down herev a Family Plan with a Flat rate for the Calls between Family Members on the Cell Phones would be what I would recommend for a Family, if You ask just to stay in touch with Your Teenagers while on vacation over very short Distances like within a Resort or such, then Your Walkie Talkies will do the Job, too.
Mike

Reactions: Lucille

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We use them when we have guests. In Cabarete our range is from Ocean Dream to thr middle of town. About 1/4 mile. Cheap set from Radio Shack. Bring extra bat. They dont last more then a couple days, if you use them a lot.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The cheapest sets have very limited range, but for not that much more, a set with a range of at least a couple of miles can be had. Rechargable batteries are definately the way to go if you are going to use them much at all.