Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Using Walkie Talkies in the DR

I know this may sound like a very silly question, but as I have been traveling to the Dominican Republic for many years now and do not know the answer (and quite obviously am not a technology junkie), I decided to ask here.

Do walkie talkies actually work in the DR? Again, I know, it might be a silly question. but interested in finding out...Thanks!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FM Frequency

Should work....they just use an FM frequency don't they ?

We used to use them to keep track of children when skiing... always losing somebody - too fast or too slow

WW

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    They work as well as they do anywhere else in the world.
    What I mean by that is don't believe the range quoted on the package you purchase.
    That is the absolute best case situation. But, yes they do work.
    I agree. We have used them at the condo where I live.

Celtic Queen, it is not a silly question. Don't let a couple of posters apparently trying to restrict newbies from asking all your questions. The openess and welcoming of newbies is not going to be changed.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes.
    There are restrictions on frequencies and power ratings - but of course they work.

The laws of physics are only slightly different in the D.R.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Walkie talkies work here. I use them. I have one. My gardener, who lives on my property, has one. And the night security guard is given one each evening. They are one extra layer of security for me.

One caveat. Nothing seems to last long in this country. I am on my second set of walkie talkies in 5 years. The second time around, I bought the most inexpensive available from Radio Shack..... a name brand. Then, when they cease working, I am not out an arm and a leg.

Lindsey

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used mine here and in Haiti and the police ain't complained yet.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, wasn't exactly sure how they functioned, and just wanted to make sure before I pack them! They really are a great way to keep track of everyone.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

CQ:
    La Sirena/Pola use them for the entire store and they work perfect.
    I just saw the floor manager of La Sirena/Pola (Santiago) using one of them to ask for a price.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default walkie talkie range

Thats a great question. I planned on buy a set of 4 to use among me and my friends for the next visit, but just how far can you go away from each other b4 the frequency cuts out?Can anyone recommend a good set?

My phone bill was crazy on my first visit, like around $375. Apparently sprint charges $2 a minute for roaming calls and a crazy amount for KB/s internet usage.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Jetblue
    How old did you say you are?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast