aduana

tomborland

Nov 8, 2010
I am sure this topic has been covered in other threads, but I am hoping you all will have the patience to help me out. I need to send a friend some tools from the US to the DR, specifically a used electric drill worth about $350 from the US to Bani, Domincan Republic, via UPS. He assures me that he won't have to pay taxes or duties on the value of the drill, but I am not so sure. What are your experiences? Is it better to send a used tool, or something new? What is the rate or duty, if it is assessed? Is UPS the best courier, or would you recommend a better courier, such as Fedex or DHL? Any opinions or experiences are appreciated.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sending items

UPS, FED Ex... all seem reliable. If it is a used item make sure you tell UPS that the item is worth let say $150.00 USD. That should avoid any taxes upon arrival in the DR. If you buy a new drill make sure it costs under $200.00 and include a copy of the receipt inside your package.

S

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
make up a fake sales invoice for the used drill at $147.00, throw it in the box.

declare value of $147

ship it

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
What can bite you is that the goods are taxed on their value - not their cost.

It does not matter that you may have got a great deal.