Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haiti is George W. Bush's fault

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Haiti is George W. Bush's fault

I came across this outdated article (from February 2004) on Haiti while doing some research.

It begins:

The Bush administration is preparing to declare Haiti a “failed state,” so that Washington can step in to put the pieces back together as it chooses. Creating the conditions for such a declaration has been the U.S. objective since George Bush came to power. For three years Washington and the European Union have imposed an aid embargo on Haiti, squeezing the hemisphere’s poorest nation until it screamed – and then squeezing harder.

So there you have it: the earthquake and the cholera epidemic and the hurricane are George W. Bush's fault. If only defining the problem were that simple!

For the rest of the article: http://www.blackcommentator.com/78/78_haiti.html

This probably belongs in the Clown Bin, and I'll let the moderators do with it what they see fit.

My point for posting this is that the debate about what is wrong in Haiti has been going on for years, and no viable solution seems attainable in the near-term. But I respect and pray for all those who are there trying to make a difference.

engineerfg

Well I wouldn't say Bush, but clearly the Haitian elite benefit from the country being a toilet. And the same elite lobbied strongly in the Bush camp, and Bush 'broke the place'.

Here's an interesting summary by Professor Jeffery Sachs:

YouTube - Did the US break Haiti? (Chalie Rose March 1,2004) part 2/2

By the way, that's the same congressman Foley as the psuedo pedophile Foley! hilarious.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Its all George Bushs Fault. F in unbelievable even Hati now?? Cmon now get over him already.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It's far more with Reagan with killing all the pigs, and destroying the sugar and rice economies. This precipitated the fall of Baby Doc, who for all of his faults at least had something of a working government. From there, Haiti went from a marginally working informal agrarian economy(with pigs as the primary form of wealth) to a completely failed urban industrial economy with no infrastructure and unskilled workers living in shanty-towns.

There is also the lunacy of not subsidizing kerosene. I wonder how many Chinese- made kerosene stoves in Haiti have been converted to burning charcoal.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's like that game some play, with six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon (for people with real lives or non-Americans, here's a wikipedia explanation Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Six degrees of everything being George W. Bush's fault.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It was long broken before Bush came along. Even Clinton admitted that he screwed up by dumping rice into Haiti.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Has Haiti ever been unbroken?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not care what they said about Dubya -
    He might be lacking a bit if brain power.
    He might even be a bit easy to influence if you are a neocon.
    He could even be a bit of a liar about stuff like WMD.
    It could be the case that corporate interests were more important to him than public interests - (no O&C they are not the same) -

But at the end of the day he looks like he would have been a good laugh to go out on the razz with.

I always thought that about him - even though he comes across as a bit evil.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr C -who is no Bush fan- once met him and had to admit he was charismatic.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Has Haiti ever been unbroken?
    Um...

ah...

eh...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/otwzvzzdZKU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/otwzvzzdZKU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It went down a very steep hill after that. Heck, I'll say it was not even a hill, more like a cliff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast