Over the counter drugs!!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I seriously need sleeping pills, on my second week of up all nights then falling asleep an hour before I need to be up. Nothing long term, just a huge amount on my mind right now, big decisions and so on.
I have tried the Dormilong, and other brands in similar packaging but useless. I even tried taking 4 instead of the recommended one and it gave me really nasty sensations through my back, found myself squirming all night as well as not sleeping. I have asked but not getting much joy.
Am I missing something powerful Or even different I can get over the counter?
Any help will be a life saver, am on my last legs.

Oh, I already know the docs response, ' you will sleep when hour body needs to'.

Aug 21, 2007
I am no doctor, however I am a firm believer in exercise as a means to better sleep. Studies and science prove its success. I also attest to the effectiveness, as I notice that days I do not get my exercise, I have trouble sleeping.

Additionally, exercise helps in relieving stress. Since you said that you have a lot on your mind right now, exercise could help you in both regards.

Drinking alcohol also can affect sleep, so if you imbibe, it may aggravate the problem.
A couple of other suggestions....eat a light dinner earlier in the evening and drink some chamomile tea before going to bed.

Sometimes the natural things work better than pills.

Good luck and sweet dreams!

Lindsey

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Don't know what is in Dormilong. But you might try 50 milligrams of Benadryl.

Bob K

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Don't know what is in Dormilong. But you might try 50 milligrams of Benadryl.

Bob K

Thanks for the benadryl tip, I just looked into it and it does have sedative properties, if I buy the correct one. On wiki it states in the UK the sedative type is available, whether this means it isn't available here I am unsure, any idea? I'm unsure what ingredients I'm looking for to check if it has it or not.
Nice one Bob!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Try some melatonin, 3-5mg., available at any nutrition/healt food store. It's not a drug, really,but a natural solution.

Works very well.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
The squirming and not sleeping is a reaction to a specific chemical in the mix. Keep track. I have had it as well and had the exact same reaction to the Benadryl!

Try Melatonin and all the natural ways to assist in sleeping. Take the melatonin 1hour before you should go to sleep. It helps your body release the chemicals that induce sleep and keep you asleep. It helps quiet the mind and allow you to stay asleep.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You can also find some very strong herbal tea here in most supermarkets

called Te Relehante or the like

in the tea section

purple box

if you make it very very strong and take it with honey

and the general advice... of getting into bed ready to sleep by 10 PM

no tv or computer late night

reading something uplifting

I like to read the poetry of Rumi

Poems by Rumi

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Breathing, mate.
Pilates and Yoga folks know this.

Apart from that - I have always been offered Tamazipan, Valium and other quite nasty drugs by friends on the D.R.
I do not know where they come from but once on the advice of a friend I took half a Xanex. - Holy crap! I barely made it to my pit before I was unconscious!

I think these drugs must be restricted because if they were not then according to the logic of some on the board, Dominicans would all be presecription drug junkies.

Good luck - I have the opposite problem.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Thankyou guys, I'll give them a go over the next few days, see what agrees with me, now to track this stuff down!
Thanks again.

Any others, keep em coming, I'm open to anything short of alcohol.

You know in a country with so little regulation over many things you might expect strong sleepers to be openly available everywhere, guess not!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Thankyou guys, I'll give them a go over the next few days, see what agrees with me, now to track this stuff down!
Thanks again.

Any others, keep em coming, I'm open to anything short of alcohol.

You know in a country with so little regulation over many things you might expect strong sleepers to be openly available everywhere, guess not!

ok

here is another tip

in preparing for sleep... make a list of all your concerns that are weighing on your mind

take the ones that have the most negative energy behind them

write each on a piece of paper

burn the paper

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Try some melatonin, 3-5mg., available at any nutrition/healt food store. It's not a drug, really,but a natural solution.

Works very well.

Good advice, even better if you can find Valerian Root too, take them together. In the US they make pills combining the two.

AE

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I second (or third or fourth) the melatonin suggestion.. Tylenol PM usually works for me, but sometimes I am wide awake after 3 or 4 hours of deep sleep. Another quick fix that almost always works is Nyquil...which can be found in most Farmacias...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What do people recommend for early waking? I don't have trouble getting to sleep but if I wake up in the wee hours (pun intended) I find it difficult to get back to sleep.

Jul 4, 2010
ok

here is another tip

in preparing for sleep... make a list of all your concerns that are weighing on your mind

take the ones that have the most negative energy behind them

write each on a piece of paper

burn the paper

However, if it's a person that's weighing you down, instead of writing his/her name on a piece of paper, write it instead on a cloth doll, stick some pins or needles into it, and then bury it in the ground. Works every time! ; )

Reactions: Celt202

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Melatonin

Works very well.

This would be my recommendation also. It's something that your system naturally produces. When your system doesn't produce enough, you lose sleep. It is not addictive, habit-forming, and does not leave you feeling groggy the next day.

It's used by business travelers fo overcome or prevent jet lag.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've used it and it works, but it did make me feel less clearheaded than usual in the mornings.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Hmmm, Melatonin isn't available in the three chemists I've popped into on Indepencia, have I just been unusually unlucky? Anyone bought this in the Capital, downtown or Indepencia ish?