SDQ - Las Americas Airport arrivals

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I just sent the following to a friend who is coming to the DR for the first time. Since the airport can be a bit daunting for new arrivals, I tried to lay out the steps to make the process easier for her.

After getting off the airplane, follow the crowd until you come to a big room. Then the basic steps are:

1. Buy tourist card - US$10

2. Hand in tourist card so you can get in the immigration line.

3. Hand passport and blue form to first person in immigration booth. (Both blue and white form are given to you on the airplane to fill out. MAKE SURE YOU SIGN THE DAMN THINGS, because for some reason, Dominicans airport officials seem to get very ****y when their forms are not signed. I think it's a cultural thing.)

4. Receive stamped passport and blue form from second person in immigration booth. (This particular step is more fun if you speak Spanish and act like you don't, because you get to listen to the two people talking about their supervisor or one of their coworkers.)

5. Hand blue form to person sitting at the door and proceed to the only luggage carousel working with luggage from your and three other flights on the same one.

6. Retrieve luggage. (Elbowing is allowed and recommended. Be especially vigilant around ladies with burgandy hair.)

7. Let person compare luggage tag barcode to barcode pasted on back of your ticket. (If you put your luggage on a cart, make sure to place the suitcases so that the luggage tags are inconvenient to locate.

8. Hand in white form to customs person (Whatever you are carrying into the country, check "no" on the questions on the form. Remember that you do NOT speak Spanish.)

9. Proceed to exit.

10.Yell very loudly, "For the umpteenth time, I do not want a f***ing taxi. My friend is picking me up, and if you even think about touching my camera bag, I will give you a curse so bad that it will take three voodoo witches and an entire flock of dead chickens to get it off of you."

If anyone can think of anything I might have missed, please feel free to add.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Sounds very accurate. Don't forget to do your duty free shopping while waiting for your luggage.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
That is the greatest thing about SDQ - Las Americas Intl.

Even when flying from Las Terrenas to Santo Domingo - you breeze effortless through immigration and customs after your internal flight & you not only have the opportunity of duty free shopping but they are asking if you would like anything... Priceless !!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sdq

Your instructions were dead on. You may want to tell her that the Tourist Card booth is right next to the money exchange kiosk. I've noticed a lot of people walk right by because they just don't see it, then they have to back track.

S

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
I would add...

Grab one of those carts if needed, they are free. You can take it all the way out to the curb.

Jo@nna

Apr 11, 2009
I love this, I will be going through in December, just thinking about it make me laugh ;)

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
ladies arguing w/customs

also avoid the women arguing with customs. It goes something like this...

Lady : "no he visitado este pa?s en cinco a?os, NO TENGO NADA DE CONTRABANDA en mi equipaje!!!!"

customs : "mi vida yo se que es tu primera vez visitando en cinco anos, pero voy a ver...... y que es esto?"

Lady : "es no es mio, eso viene con la malleta"

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Men check your balls!

also avoid the women arguing with customs. It goes something like this...

Lady : "no he visitado este pa?s en cinco a?os, NO TENGO NADA DE CONTRABANDA en mi equipaje!!!!"

customs : "mi vida yo se que es tu primera vez visitando en cinco anos, pero voy a ver...... y que es esto?"

Lady : "es no es mio, eso viene con la malleta"
Reminds me of when I was leaving last time, I heard a very frustrated young man (probably American) exclaim that they had taken his balls, and he continued on and on about his balls, never had his balls taken away before, those were his good balls, etc.
He would have realized how funny it was had he not been so upset.
So gentleman, please check your balls on the way out, might not want to travel with the "good ones"!;)