Hi Im looking at buying a harley!
In the US of A the models im looking at are around $8000 -10000us brand new

What sort of premium will i have to pay to buy one from a DR dealer

Real facts would be great

thanks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You're talking low-end Sportster. There is one importer (Magna Motors) and they don't do deals. I'd be surprised if one is less than US$13-15,000.

They had a VROD in SDQ for US$28,000 last year. That may give you a clue on markup.

JMO, but there are better bikes for the roads and conditions here.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
You're talking low-end Sportster. There is one importer (Magna Motors) and they don't do deals. I'd be surprised if one is less than US$13-15,000.

They had a VROD in SDQ for US$28,000 last year. That may give you a clue on markup.

JMO, but there are better bikes for the roads and conditions here.

friend of mine bought this and that is what he paid....
bob

Nov 10, 2010
WOW, talk about expensive. kind of rules out a harley.... I was thinking of triking it................. but its clearly going to be a 30,000us venture!

Any suggestions on better bikes is welcome.... i do want to trike it though! MAybe i'll put it in the to hard basket.... i think it's heading that way

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Any suggestions on better bikes is welcome....
Certainly opinions vary, but we did extensive research before we bought our fleet. We laid out a matrix of the traits we needed for the roads, weather, routes and riders, forced ranked them, and tested literally every bike available, many on road tests.

At the time 4 bikes came out on top: Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (first suggested by our own Chip), Honda TransAlp, BMW G650GS and Kawasaki KLR650. All could do the job. Today we'd add the new Yamaha XT660Z Tenere and KTM Adventure.

We chose the V-Strom because of it lower costs, low maintenance requirements, great ergos, parts availability and performance. They came out #1 in almost all categories. It has a suspension with really long dirt-bike travel that sucks up roads, has a bullet-proof reworked/recammed SV650 motor (65hp, the same as a stock Harley), is very low maintenance, easy to wrench, good parts availability and decent prices, has a long wheelbase for the highway, does not have overpowering brakes (but still effective) and just feels ergonomically "right." But if you're short and physically weak it may feel a little truck-like because they are long, larger, tall machines with a higher center of gravity. They will, surprisingly, carve out mountain curves surprisingly well.

Keep in mind ego, prestige and the "cool factor" were not in our matrix. We're more hardcore riders when on tour.

The roads here can be challenging with blind potholes, reverse camber, blind decreasing radius curves, changes in pavement types and heights, etc. No one bike is the best for all conditions. A sport bike might be best for mountains, a big displacement cruiser best for the autopista, a dirt bike might be best for off road, and a moto best for around city traffic. But the "dual sport" bikes listed above are the best single tool for ALL the varied conditions. We refer to our V-Stroms as the Swiss Army Knives of motorcycles: they do nothing the best, but do everything very well.

Riding here is not like riding where you came from. The rules are different and not understanding them puts a rider at risk.

You might want to read our article on riding in the Dominican Republic from our MotoCaribe blog: Two Wheels in Paradise: How to Ride a Motorcycle in the Caribbean Better yet, take a tour and use it as an edumacation on riding here.

Now if image is important and you aren't going to ride the entire country like we do, a bike to consider...if you're a decent wrench...is the Ural Sidecar @WD (yes, two wheel drive). I LOVE those things!:

2768682292_536e9698f7.jpg

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The guy down at Routa 69 Rock Bar in Boca Chica is selling a couple of Harleys.
The local Harley club have a monthly get together there.

The music is good, the custom bikes are impressive and they even have a couple of decent pool tables.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
WOW, talk about expensive. kind of rules out a harley.... I was thinking of triking it................. but its clearly going to be a 30,000us venture!

Any suggestions on better bikes is welcome.... i do want to trike it though! MAybe i'll put it in the to hard basket.... i think it's heading that way

Here ya go...for sale in Sosua...It's not a Harley...but it IS a trike,,,and cheap! :bunny:

Dominican Classified Ads

Nov 10, 2010
Certainly opinions vary, but we did extensive research before we bought our fleet. We laid out a matrix of the traits we needed for the roads, weather, routes and riders, forced ranked them, and tested literally every bike available, many on road tests.

At the time 4 bikes came out on top: Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (first suggested by our own Chip), Honda TransAlp, BMW G650GS and Kawasaki KLR650. All could do the job. Today we'd add the new Yamaha XT660Z Tenere and KTM Adventure.

We chose the V-Strom because of it lower costs, low maintenance requirements, great ergos, parts availability and performance. They came out #1 in almost all categories. It has a suspension with really long dirt-bike travel that sucks up roads, has a bullet-proof reworked/recammed SV650 motor (65hp, the same as a stock Harley), is very low maintenance, easy to wrench, good parts availability and decent prices, has a long wheelbase for the highway, does not have overpowering brakes (but still effective) and just feels ergonomically "right." But if you're short and physically weak it may feel a little truck-like because they are long, larger, tall machines with a higher center of gravity. They will, surprisingly, carve out mountain curves surprisingly well.

Keep in mind ego, prestige and the "cool factor" were not in our matrix. We're more hardcore riders when on tour.

The roads here can be challenging with blind potholes, reverse camber, blind decreasing radius curves, changes in pavement types and heights, etc. No one bike is the best for all conditions. A sport bike might be best for mountains, a big displacement cruiser best for the autopista, a dirt bike might be best for off road, and a moto best for around city traffic. But the "dual sport" bikes listed above are the best single tool for ALL the varied conditions. We refer to our V-Stroms as the Swiss Army Knives of motorcycles: they do nothing the best, but do everything very well.

Riding here is not like riding where you came from. The rules are different and not understanding them puts a rider at risk.

You might want to read our article on riding in the Dominican Republic from our MotoCaribe blog: Two Wheels in Paradise: How to Ride a Motorcycle in the Caribbean Better yet, take a tour and use it as an edumacation on riding here.

Now if image is important and you aren't going to ride the entire country like we do, a bike to consider...if you're a decent wrench...is the Ural Sidecar @WD (yes, two wheel drive). I LOVE those things!:

2768682292_536e9698f7.jpg

Thanks cobra for a great post..... seems like your the boy to ask... but this question is open to anyone
Heres my list of wants

BRAND NEW;Preferably brand new bike, although i will consider a second hand Harley
TRIKE;I want a trike (ive riden a bike for years and ive had a couple of accidents and... well i dont want any more!!!!!
TRIKE KIT;I can get the trike kit i want from the US .... and hopefull import it have a DR shop install it.... recommendations are welcome. Some of the kits are in the range of 4-7000.00us

COSTI want to get my bike on the road with a a budget of 16-20000.00us although if i can get out of it cheaper!!!!! Its unlikely though!

Cobra what bike (i guess it would be a similiar style to a harley 1500cc plus) I dont need mountains of power and prestige isnt a need for me
I do want something nice looking, HIGHLY RELIABLE with parts that are readily available ... you know the same criteria you used for your business

Perhaps if you have a few current prices and suggested models that can be purchased in the DR i'd be very interested in hearing about them(approximates $$$$$ are cool)

Photo Gallery

In this link im interested in the harley sportster ( black color)

Cheers and thanks

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thanks cobra for a great post..... seems like your the boy to ask... but this question is open to anyone
Heres my list of wants

BRAND NEW;Preferably brand new bike, although i will consider a second hand Harley
TRIKE;I want a trike (ive riden a bike for years and ive had a couple of accidents and... well i dont want any more!!!!!
TRIKE KIT;I can get the trike kit i want from the US .... and hopefull import it have a DR shop install it.... recommendations are welcome. Some of the kits are in the range of 4-7000.00us

COSTI want to get my bike on the road with a a budget of 16-20000.00us although if i can get out of it cheaper!!!!! Its unlikely though!

Cobra what bike (i guess it would be a similiar style to a harley 1500cc plus) I dont need mountains of power and prestige isnt a need for me
I do want something nice looking, HIGHLY RELIABLE with parts that are readily available ... you know the same criteria you used for your business

Perhaps if you have a few current prices and suggested models that can be purchased in the DR i'd be very interested in hearing about them(approximates $$$$$ are cool)

Photo Gallery

In this link im interested in the harley sportster ( black color)

Cheers and thanks
I've given you my best advice, but you've already made up your mind.

A trike here would be the wrong tool for the job. They are less stable, offer poor on-road performance in virtually all conditions, take up a lot of space and are extremely unwieldy. Your chances foir an accident has just gone up, not down. Trikes have a reputation of nasty high-side roll-overs at any decent speed.

I am familiar with trike kits. The hidden cost is the time of labor and the need for special tools and techniques for fabrication. They are not bolt-on-and-go. If you're not a competent wrench you're again asking for disaster because I doubt there is one Dominican with experience building a trike.

Besides the sidecar 2WD Ural-which was engineered for the three-wheeled purpose from inception-there isn't a trike out there with the same pedigree. The running gear of every one was based on the physics of two wheels, not three, and much of the 2-wheeled gfeometry still exixtx because the steering and turning is stillin a line with the sidecar on a lateral pivot. A rank amateur mechanic knows when you mess with the engineering basis of a machine, the outcome cannot be predicted...but it's usually bad. Of the many trike owners I know virtually all of them are older riders who have lost some strength and coordination and want to ride two-up with the old lady. The trike is usually a convenience for her.

Besides, within the Harley community the Sportster is considered a "girls bike." Rest assured you'll be viewed with scorn when you DO encounter some of the Harley Dominican riding clubs or the Cabarete Hells Angels group (we have; they loved the V-Stroms).

As far as costs: your budget is US$16-20,000. A new Harley or Gold Wing will cost US$28-37,000. A trike kit costs $4-7,000 (your #'s). You're now looking at $32-44,000. Even a VTX trike-an option you haven't considered-will come in north of US$22,000. Add say $US2,000 for labor-IF you can find it.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you do get a Harley, you could be as cool as these guys...
<object id="flashObj" width="486" height="412" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=656258532001&playerID=6555681001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAC3bNtw~,c0hgCOyLwy4VjqwaHGtYJLQQv4jcqpk_&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=656258532001&playerID=6555681001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAC3bNtw~,c0hgCOyLwy4VjqwaHGtYJLQQv4jcqpk_&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I think you guys are missing the OP' intentions. The owner of a trike normally does not plan on whipping around corners, or driving at high speed.

My advice to the OP is not to go for HD, as they have a tendency to need a lot of repair and maintenance and on the bumpy roads here this is not a good idea. Why don't you go for the Yamaha or Honda lookalikes?

I have ridden bikes for more than 20 years and can only say I swear with Yamaha or Honda. Have ridden Suzuki and never liked the feel of them, but this is of course personal. And my friends with HD's seemed to be constantly repairing them... lol

To the OP... I regularly see some guys on trikes in Cabarete. If you want I can ask them where they got them, or who did the conversion.

Nov 10, 2010
I think you guys are missing the OP' intentions. The owner of a trike normally does not plan on whipping around corners, or driving at high speed.

My advice to the OP is not to go for HD, as they have a tendency to need a lot of repair and maintenance and on the bumpy roads here this is not a good idea. Why don't you go for the Yamaha or Honda lookalikes?

I have ridden bikes for more than 20 years and can only say I swear with Yamaha or Honda. Have ridden Suzuki and never liked the feel of them, but this is of course personal. And my friends with HD's seemed to be constantly repairing them... lol

To the OP... I regularly see some guys on trikes in Cabarete. If you want I can ask them where they got them, or who did the conversion.

yes please do

Nov 10, 2010
Thank you all for your lengthy posts..... particulalry cobra...... huge response.

I really need something that will be less costly than a car, reasonable mileage in gas etc.
i have taken your advice and am well aware of the DR drivers, although i have never drivien in the DR

what to do what to do???????????????????????????

thanks again

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Thank you all for your lengthy posts..... particulalry cobra...... huge response.

I really need something that will be less costly than a car, reasonable mileage in gas etc.
i have taken your advice and am well aware of the DR drivers, although i have never drivien in the DR

what to do what to do???????????????????????????

thanks again

I would seriously consider taking cobraboy's advice on anything related to bikes. He makes his living with them ... in the DR. Actually, if it were me, I would sign up for one of his bike tours, pick his brain, and see what the actual conditions on the ground were really like ... before I made a purchase.

But that's just me ...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Hey Cobra!
I thought you was a M/C ,god but URAL Combo??
Convince me.
Don't have a Ural, but Iknow some serious backroad mudders who have two-wheel drive Urals. Love them. It's acult aspassionate as Harley guys are.

OP wasasking about a trike which is why I brought it up.

There is a guy in the states that buys new Urals and replaces all the electrics and carburetors/fuelsystem to state-of-the-art stuff.

Lotta of fine bikes out there,a tool for every job.