When is El Catey going to accept flights from US?

lisaM1

Jun 27, 2008
Does Anyone Have Any Reliable News on When El Catey airport will be accepting flights from the United States? Thank you for your help.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Soon I hope.... it is a wonderful airport.

AA used to fly in from Peurto Rico.
They are ones to watch...IMO

WW

May 29, 2006
I will never fly AA again. Missed connections coming and going last time and they lost my luggage. Rerouted to Santiago instead of POP on the way there and to Boston instead of Hartford on the way back. They gave us food vouchers for the layover in Miami, but the restaurant was closed at the hotel they put us up in. Took more than 30 hours to get from the DR to Vermont. Continental to Newark? Less than five hours.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Continental is rumored to be looking at el Catey

AA used to cancel the el Catey flights to Puerto Rico when there were not enough passengers..... they offered an overnite in Samana or a taxi to POP

The POP rerouting made the trip triple long .... bad

WW

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
El Catey / US Flights

Hi:

The way I understand it is that the taxes the Dominican Gov. requires on flights coming in there is very high and that is why US Companies have not been that interested in persuing it. I read recently that Jet Blue is looking to expand its routes in the DR. Perhaps if there is enough interest El Catey will be in the radar.

S

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
as bad as i hate to admit it i wish there wasn't even an airport there or a resort. call me greedy... :) maybe when and if there are flights there i will finally explore the SW (wouldn't be a bad thing at all), ben

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is there even enough demand for El Catey from the states?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is there even enough demand for El Catey from the states?

Interesting location choice... Las Terranas is the prime area.

Over 2 hours to POP/Sosua area
About 2 hours to Sto Domingo

How many travelers can you attract to the LT area ?
Hotel capacity, etc

It ties in well with new infrastructure..... SD to Nagua highwy and the yet to be completed Nagua -LT highway

Beyond that ?? Who knows ?

Are there bigger plans for the North Coast still to be announced ?

WW