Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Coast excursion... any ideas?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default North Coast excursion... any ideas?

I know these threads get annoying but I've spent hours on tripadvisor and scouring the DR1 forums and my brain is mush. My partner and I are planning on a trip up to the North Coast. It will be our first since we moved to the DR last year. We're considering starting off in Puerto Plata and moving east along the coast. We also want to spend some time in SD to do some much needed Pricesmart/IKEA shopping so we'll only have about 4-5 days in the north. I'm figuring about $150-200/day on the food & lodging. We're not at all opposed to the AI thing as it keeps things simple.

We'll probably leave very early Sunday from Bavaro with the intent of getting to POP in the early afternoon. Is it best to take the new highway up toward Samana and then head east along the coast?

Any suggestions/advice are welcome.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Oops.. got my east/west mixed up. With regard to the best route I meant take the new highway up to Samana and head west.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If your destination is Puerto Plata, the driving time (Samana highway compared to going through Santo Domingo/Santiago) is about the same. The Samana highway is more scenic. If you were to drive at night, it would probably be faster going through the cities as you would be avoiding traffic.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you also looking for suggestions on day trip excursions when you're in POP? Because if you are, I took the catamaran day trip on the banana republic, it leaves from the Playa Dorada beach around 8:00 am and they take you to Sosua to snorkel on the reefs for the day. It was great fun and cost around $50 US when I went. Unlimited drinks are included and they give you a big lunch. They bring you back around 4:00.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, after posting my last blurb I realized that the OP said they are starting out in POP... my info may not have been helpful.... afterall. Have a great trip anyhow.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i have never been on samana highway but i always liked the drive alond the norh coast, nagua-POP is super pretty!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i have never been on samana highway but i always liked the drive alond the norh coast, nagua-POP is super pretty!
    I agree. That is why I land in POP, nicer drive IMO (then again I am not the one doing the driving)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz72 View Post
    Are you also looking for suggestions on day trip excursions when you're in POP? Because if you are, I took the catamaran day trip on the banana republic, it leaves from the Playa Dorada beach around 8:00 am and they take you to Sosua to snorkel on the reefs for the day. It was great fun and cost around $50 US when I went. Unlimited drinks are included and they give you a big lunch. They bring you back around 4:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz72 View Post
    Sorry, after posting my last blurb I realized that the OP said they are starting out in POP... my info may not have been helpful.... afterall. Have a great trip anyhow.
    No worries... your suggestion is welcome. We're open to all ideas (within reason...LOL)

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

come and see the monkeys in sosua........yes there are real ones lol

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InsanelyOne View Post
    I know these threads get annoying but I've spent hours on tripadvisor and scouring the DR1 forums and my brain is mush. My partner and I are planning on a trip up to the North Coast. It will be our first since we moved to the DR last year. We're considering starting off in Puerto Plata and moving east along the coast. We also want to spend some time in SD to do some much needed Pricesmart/IKEA shopping so we'll only have about 4-5 days in the north. I'm figuring about $150-200/day on the food & lodging. We're not at all opposed to the AI thing as it keeps things simple.

We'll probably leave very early Sunday from Bavaro with the intent of getting to POP in the early afternoon. Is it best to take the new highway up toward Samana and then head east along the coast?

Any suggestions/advice are welcome.
    Have a chat with Sonia she manages a tourist info place has lots of good ideas ie places to stay tours and info on the DR Sosua information center- Accomadation rentals
    hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast