Travelling with large dog

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
Hello there,
This question has prob been asked before but I can't seem to find any info. I have a 80 pound German Shepherd that I would like to travel with for the month of Jan...is that possible because of the temp? I know when I bought a puppy from the States they wouldn't ship because of the high temp but if this was the case in the DR they would never be able to import any dogs?!
BTW just got back 2 days ago and had one day of sun :( oh well!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, January should be allowable for the temperature ban..... just watch out for holiday season.... sometimes they restrict the number of kennels allowed to make room for the extra luggage at that time of year.

The luggage ban should come off early in January.... if your airline even imposes one.

I ran into this on WestJet from Toronto..... booked the dog down on the Dec 11 filght and the girl said he could not return on the Dec 18 flight as it was Day 1 of the holiday ban..... fortunately, the dog is staying.

WW

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
One unsolicited piece of advice: investigate the airline's weight restrictions on dogs and kennels. I was going to travel with a 90 lb Labrador Retriever in a 25 lb kennel. American Airlines has a weight limit of 100 lbs total, and I was unable to make a reservation for the dog. I offered to pay an overweight charge, but after making lots and lots of inquiries, I could not get a straight answer from anyone. I ended up having to return here dogless.

(PS I'm still working on the situation, but I refuse to pay US$1,000+ for cargo charges.)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I know that rule..... but I have never been weighed on multiple trips on AA from Miami

How did the weight issue arise.... did you ask or did they?

WW

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
Yes, January should be allowable for the temperature ban..... just watch out for holiday season.... sometimes they restrict the number of kennels allowed to make room for the extra luggage at that time of year.

The luggage ban should come off early in January.... if your airline even imposes one.

I ran into this on WestJet from Toronto..... booked the dog down on the Dec 11 filght and the girl said he could not return on the Dec 18 flight as it was Day 1 of the holiday ban..... fortunately, the dog is staying.

WW

Thank you ~ Is there any other kind of vaccines or any other special advise I should get for her before I go? Thanks again

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thank you ~ Is there any other kind of vaccines or any other special advise I should get for her before I go? Thanks again

All shots up to date... usually within 14 days (some say 30 days)... vet certificate of good health.
Rabies is the main one

300 pesos to the Animal Immigration person.

Search "dog importing" animal regulations or something like that

WW

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
All shots up to date... usually within 14 days (some say 30 days)... vet certificate of good health.
Rabies is the main one

300 pesos to the Animal Immigration person.

Search "dog importing" animal regulations or something like that

WW

Awesome thank you!

Aug 21, 2007
Check with your airline regarding temps and embargos. I found this information:

Continental's website says that they do not accept pets in cargo to or from the Dominican Republic.

Delta's website says that they will not transport a pet in cargo if the outside temperature is below 20 degrees Fahrenheit on any leg of the itinerary.

American Airlines says they will not accept a pet if the temperature is below 45 degrees on any stop on the itinerary.

If you are traveling a different airline, check their specific website.

Good luck. Woof. Woof.

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I always wonder about these regulations..............

I have booked on CO but it may be a new rule.

We flew the dog last January from Miami to POP on AA... the 4 previous nights were below freezing including the morning we flew at 10am... it was cold.

I know the weight restriction but have never been weighed

It is always hotter than allowed in SDQ or POP at arrival yet they restrict travel only in the summer.

It is becoming harder to find airlines that accept animals.... at any cost.

Cabin dogs for AA are now $150 - same as a kennel below - each way

CO only ships them freight... ~$350 from EWR each way

Westjet from Toronto is $50 R/T... $37.50 one way

Wanna guess where I'm flying from this winter?

We used to drive PHL to MIA..... 2 days
YYZ is 8 hours from PHL

WW

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
I always wonder about these regulations..............

I have booked on CO but it may be a new rule.

We flew the dog last January from Miami to POP on AA... the 4 previous nights were below freezing including the morning we flew at 10am... it was cold.

I know the weight restriction but have never been weighed

It is always hotter than allowed in SDQ or POP at arrival yet they restrict travel only in the summer.

It is becoming harder to find airlines that accept animals.... at any cost.

Cabin dogs for AA are now $150 - same as a kennel below - each way

CO only ships them freight... ~$350 from EWR each way

Westjet from Toronto is $50 R/T... $37.50 one way

Wanna guess where I'm flying from this winter?

We used to drive PHL to MIA..... 2 days
YYZ is 8 hours from PHL

WW

Hmmmmm interesting ~ just hope that if I get her there I can get her out again. I am renting an apartment for a month in puerto plata and wanted her for protection (she a little bitchy) lol My other 2 are too friendly to take.
Now, does anyone know of a good vet in PP I can take her to case of any problems?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hmmmmm interesting ~ just hope that if I get her there I can get her out again. I am renting an apartment for a month in puerto plata and wanted her for protection (she a little bitchy) lol My other 2 are too friendly to take.
Now, does anyone know of a good vet in PP I can take her to case of any problems?

Dr Bob in Sosua... beside Judys Pet Lodge.....Everybody knows it

Go there early.... and he will be able to give you the "check Out" papers to leave the country.... same rigamarole as getting in

WW

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
Jeepers, didn't know you need check out papers too...lol thanks for the info...much appreciated.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I know that rule..... but I have never been weighed on multiple trips on AA from Miami

How did the weight issue arise.... did you ask or did they?

WW

I asked. I've noticed that the agents have been very closely watching the weights on checked bags lately. It used to be that a pound or two over would be ignored, but not anymore. I think it's because they are under pressure to get every penny they can out of passengers.

So I asked, because I didn't want to get to the airport and then be stuck.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Some airlines are very strict in weighing and temperature limits.
Thats the reason that in our dogsport world of Dogfrisbee, the World Championships are alway's held at the end of September as mids september most airlines end their "summer" temp limit so we and other competitors from all over the world can fly in and out the US with dog without any problem.

Concirning weight, WW you are lucky then...Delta weighs every time but gives you some slack but KLM f.e. gave me a very hard time. Acira with crate came above 30 KG and so she had to be checked in as extra luguage. This was a flight to Korea so I ended (well the inviting organziation did) with a total sum of return ticket for Acira only of more then $2000.

But on the other hand we flew in our dogs from Belgium to the DR in August, no weighing, no restriction because of temp and very low cost but only 4 crates allowed per flight, thats the policy of Jet Air.

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002

Hey Skinny..............flying with a dog is always a risky thing to do! If you need a dog for protection why not consider fostering one or two from Judy's Pet Lodge (connected to Dr. Bob the vet) for the month you are here? That way you get the protection and the dog(s) get socializing and some extra loving! Sounds like a win/win to me! : )
Sunny

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
Hey Skinny..............flying with a dog is always a risky thing to do! If you need a dog for protection why not consider fostering one or two from Judy's Pet Lodge (connected to Dr. Bob the vet) for the month you are here? That way you get the protection and the dog(s) get socializing and some extra loving! Sounds like a win/win to me! : )
Sunny

Great idea, just might have to do that...although my dogs would love a vacation too and some extra action ~ sometimes they get bored chasing moose and bears...they like a little human action sometimes :cheeky:

This is sounding like it would be a very expensive undertaking anyways.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
by the time you buy a big enuf cage...
paid for the shots
paid for entry and exit
paid for flight
you're up to about 300 and that isn't even counting the food for the dog
or gravol for the flight

i wanted to bring my 86lb female 1/2 shep & 1/2 roti down
decided to leave her with my sister...

they say absence makes the heart grow fonder :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
On The Contrary

I do not find traveling with a dog too onerous:

-the shots are needed every year anyhow
-the cage is a one time expense
-the exit papers from RD are not expensive
-dog food is dog food, here or there

I agree , the airlines can be difficult , from a money standpoint and otherwise.
For most US based people, AA at $150 each way seems to be the best.
Canadians have WestJet... $50 R/T
Mind you, we do it for a 4-5 month stay..... short trips call for more dedication.

My fear is that animal travel will become more difficult in the future and we will need to resort to Cargo.... that is a separate drop-of and pick-up -- that will be real pain.

So, Skinny, don't give up the fight !!

WW

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
i'm only going for a month
yes if it were 3 months or more...
the cost and troubles wouldn't even enter my mind

mind you the trauma of the flight without thier companion would be hard for most dogs in the hold...they wouldn't be getting the same comforts as the passengers and they woulnd't have thier trusty masters around to comfort them during this time.....would imagine it to be very scary to them.....would feel like being kidnapped by aliens i would assume:confused: