Thanksgiving is coming up

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
just wondering how you people celebrate thanksgiving over here?

It will be our second one over here and hopefully better than the previous one. I do not mind sharing costs for a dinner, but paying over a 1,000 rds for a dried up turkey (cold) and some "just add water" stuffing and gravy was a little steep for my taste...

any advice for people celebrating thanksgiving on the north coast?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
just wondering how you people celebrate thanksgiving over here?

It will be our second one over here and hopefully better than the previous one. I do not mind sharing costs for a dinner, but paying over a 1,000 rds for a dried up turkey (cold) and some "just add water" stuffing and gravy was a little steep for my taste...

any advice for people celebrating thanksgiving on the north coast?

I live in Sosua and have always gone to Rocky's for Thanksgiving dinner.

Rocky's makes real homemade gravy while some of the other restaurants use pre mixed stuff.

There is also an array of cakes and pies and ice cream for deserts

This will be my 5th Thanksgiving at Rocky's and no other restaurant in Sosua, can compare in quality and value, however the brussel sprouts were over cooked last year.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I live in Sosua and have always gone to Rocky's for Thanksgiving dinner.

Rocky's makes real homemade gravy while some of the other restaurants use pre mixed stuff.

There is also an array of cakes and pies and ice cream for deserts

This will be my 5th Thanksgiving at Rocky's and no other restaurant in Sosua, can compare in quality and value, however the brussel sprouts were over cooked last year.

over cooked or not, as a Belgian I am kind of partial to brussels sprouts

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The squash, and homemade stuffing ( not that stuff in a box ) are also excellent so you will enjoy that as well

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
we already made reservations and are looking forward to it...

stop describing it as you make my mouth look like a big slobbering bloodhound... lol

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
If you folks are interested in information for upcoming events at Rocky's, please PM me and I'll fill you in. Aparently, we are not allowed to post details in the open forums any longer.

Rick
Rocky's

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Aparently, we are not allowed to post details in the open forums any longer.

Rick
Rocky's

Rick, it was VERY clearly explained to you why in the PM I sent you.

Events DR1 supports in the way of attendance or sponsorship can post free of charge on the message board. All other events have to be active advertisers on DR1. It's been like that for many years. This is why we have the daily news and travel news ads. People pay to post their events in these mailings and have done so for years.

Events that are free of charge, non-profit or for charitable causes are free to post on the board and the above rules do not apply.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Check back Robert, it was never a problem in past years. This year it is so that was my confusion.

Please answer my PM. How much is your rate for advertising. I asked this and you have yet to answer so the above post was my only recourse at this point. I can follow the rules you lay down but please do me the honor of answering my question.

Rick

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
What about pumpkin pie? Is that made in DR? My mother usually make 2 just for me for Thanksgiving and the days after.

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
Check back Robert, it was never a problem in past years. This year it is so that was my confusion.

Please answer my PM. How much is your rate for advertising. I asked this and you have yet to answer so the above post was my only recourse at this point. I can follow the rules you lay down but please do me the honor of answering my question.

Rick

Rick, start a facebook page...it's a great way to share events..or maybe you already have one?
Cheers!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am suprised :glasses:
Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Belgium ?

I am from England and we would not usually celebrate Thanksgiving there either but with so many American friends here it would be a shame not to join in with the fun and enjoy a great traditional meal with everyone. It will be Rocky's in Sosua for me as usual.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am from England and we would not usually celebrate Thanksgiving there either but with so many American friends here it would be a shame not to join in with the fun and enjoy a great traditional meal with everyone. It will be Rocky's in Sosua for me as usual.

I hear you. It is just the brussels sprouts comments that had me wondered (and I know they have different celebrations compared to France such as Saint Nicholas).
I know I had never heard of Thanksgiving before I moved to the US, but I celebrate it, since everyone around me does and am off from work.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Did do Rocky's a few years back and it was a blast and would love to do it this year, but can't...................If I were there, it would be a must...............:bunny::bunny:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
First... Rick... I think you qualify for the charity free publicity, as you provide expats with the much needed and essential turkey and trimmings. This clearly is the work of a benevolent person looking after the needs of the local gringos

Secondly... no, you are right... Belgium normally does not celebrate thanksgiving, but what the heck, the locals here have national, regional, town, barrio and street holidays. So, what can I say, I adapted, blended in and am enjoying all the extra excuses to have a good time and good food. :bunny:

Reactions: woofsback

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Dia de Pavo::AKA Thanksgiving 2010

What is everybody doing on the North Coast for Thanksgiving?

tio tambo'

Mar 2, 2008
Hey, Terrible Tambo! How have you been?

I will be at Rocky's Annual Thanksgiving Feast. It's always a good time, and a great way to kickoff the holiday season. As usual, the profits from the dinner will be used to buy gifts for the children in the area. It's a fun event for a worthy cause.

By the way, when will you be down this way? I still owe you a beer, and I look forward to swapping a tale or two.

Reactions: Bronxboy