12:36am

newuser

Bronze
May 12, 2002
Did anyone feel that one? I guess this one to be a 6.0 and it lasted for over a minute. I'm in Santo Domingo

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Yep, in Las Terrenas, 7 seconds, pause, 5-7 seconds, a nice one both times...

Griegos13

Feb 1, 2009
Felt it strong in Bavaro...

Code:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/at00962293.php#details

scale 5.6 70Km SE of La Romana or 160 ESE of SD

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The three of us slept right through it. Several of my friends in the Punta Cana area felt it though, judging by their Facebook posts overnight.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nada, asleep with the angeles (and my angel, of course!)...

Glad nothing major happened...

Welcome to Paradise..

HB

Jul 4, 2010
For those of you who missed the quake, don't let yourself be overtaken by feelings of insensitivity or inadequacy. If you didn't feel it, either your bed was already 'quaking', or your home is built over solid rock ground, which does not transport seismic waves very well.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
From what I learned from my friends -
Santiago and Moca - slight shakes for a few seconds, but nothing major, no damage.
Jarabacoa - very slight trembles and rumbles, barely interupting
Santo Domingo - strong, noticeable shaking and rumbling no immediate damage.
Bavaro - strong trembles and shakes, slight movement of some small things, no major damage as of yet.

It appears the depth of the earthquake (60 miles, if I remember) allowed the waves to displace themselves before it reached the surface. Haiti's quake happened at only 8 miles deep. Both the Dominican Republic and Haiti sit on a pretty active seismic zone, I hope that nothing happens worse that Haiti's.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Slept like a baby here in Sabaneta and none of the dogs alarmed last night but thats no indicator since they did nothing either when I felt the Haiti quake when living in Jarabacoa.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I've heard from several sources that the Malecon Center is the safest building against Earthquakes in DR.

disinformation

According to someone I spoke with .. who worked for the US govt and was housed there, they moved out after the Quake because the building shook and the parking lot ceiling girders caved

here, about 12 block away.. in a condo built cerca Trujillo... only the ceiling lamp swung...

but we have no under ground parking