Currency exchange in Puerto Plata...

Status
Not open for further replies.

salcedo2010

Aug 11, 2010
Hey,
On January i'm planning to stay at the bluebay villas doradas in playa dorada in Puerto Plata and I need to know where can I exchange dollars to dominican pesos,without getting ri"rippided off" ......i know that mostly likely in the resort i could but thats where you get screwe*at. Does anyone know of a reliable place in Puerto Plata near the airport or in the Playa Dorada area where I could get 30 + pesos per dollar and not 20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jrhartley

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
don't go to hotels as they are interested in profit so expect a mark-up
stay away from street dealers...let's face it...there's a reason they are on the street
there will be several comaldos in the downtown area..
they seem to be the most reliable and steadiest dealers
banks tend to think more about profit and usually take longer

i'm not sure about other countries or thier airports
but the airport in toronto, canada had kiosks and i used 1,500 canadian
dollars to exchange into dominican pesos...
they gave me a reciept and anything i had left when i9 came back,
they would exchange for the same rate as i when i left

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
current rate

Yesterday i got 37.20 for one US$ whereas when i changed at airport on wednesday i got only 31.60 for one US. So do not change at airports

Reactions: jrhartley

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
i didnt check rates when i left, was just making sure i was prepared when i got there...will definitely double check this time :)

thanks for the info

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Is there still a western union in the plaza?

They will exchange at a much better rate than the hotel and you can walk there from your hotel (very close).

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009

They will exchange at a much better rate than the hotel and you can walk there from your hotel (very close).
You are correct. In the Plaza (the shopping center located in the Playa Dorada complex) there is a Western Union, a bank and multiple currency exchanges (Cambios). All have there current exchange rates posted. Just shop around and compare. You may be able to do better in downtown Puerto Plata, but not worth the trip unless exchanging large amounts.

steve queen

Banned
Oct 13, 2009
money for nothing

the guy who hangs by the car rental counter with pockets full of money is a good guy and will give you the going rate on any amount of dinero....much better than the rip-off money counters or banks..no need to be afraid...he does it with the airports blessing and has been there for years

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
THere is actually a bank at the airport. It is to the left as you exit on the way to the restrooms. The rate last week was 36.5 last week which is not too bad. Do not use the money changers at the ariport as they will rip you off.

Bob K

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I think the Western Union at the Playa Dorada Plaza closed a few years ago and one opened up on the main road into Puerto Plata in a plaza on the right just before the stadium.
There is also a RUSA cambio before that on the other side of the road which gives good rates.
There is another RUSA and other decent cambios around Central Park.

The cambios at the PD Plaza are not great but they will give a decent rate if you ask for a better rate than they list, or better yet, tell them what they need to pay.

There used to be a Banreservas cambio in the lobby at the Paradise but I have not been there since the renovation so I don't know if it is still there.
There is also one at Fun Royale.
They were okay for US$ but terrible for CDN$.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
These cambios don't post their rates and some of them will try to screw you if you are an uninformed gringo.
RUSA is very good and professional.
The one by Central Park is just past Sam's bar at the first street beside the open lot.

Do you always talk to yourself on Sunday?
Oh, it was a PS....sorry.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010

there was in january when I went and there's a booth out in the parking lot of the plaza too...they're run by the same people as the one inside the plaza. i used the one outside and they had to walk us inside because they had trouble with their card reader or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.