unlocked cellphones

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
i'm wondering if an unlocked phone from the us will work in the DR. i kno phones with chips will work, however my phone (palm pre) doesn't have a chip. will the providers (claro or orange) be able to set up my palm if i have it unlocked here in the states? or should i buy a decent phone with a chip and bring it down there?

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
My lil bro says yes, his wasnt unlocked and he got it connected.the frequency claro operates at is GSM 1800/1900.I think orange is 900/1900.you palm should be a quadband 850/900/1800/1900 GSM.
honestly I try not to brign nice phones with me to DR,if you lose a prepay no big deal.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I took my unlocked non sim card phone to Claro in Puerto Plata and they said they could not activate a non sim card phone. I have had an account and plan with them for 4 years.

Bob K

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
yup. my bro sais he used orange last year.so that may be true about claro i used my iphone with a sim card so it worked with claro.he sais 900 freq only works on certain parts of island 1900 works in all areas.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Claro is in the process of eliminating the use of CDMA phones, if you have one already activated, it will still work. OP, bring an unlocked QUAD BAND GSM phone and you will be able to activate it on any carrier.

If the phone mafia tells you it must be unlocked, DO NOT pay more than RD100-200, if you do not speak Spanish they will try for RD600!

I am fairly sure you will need a data plan to use a smartphone, not too practical for a one week vacation.

Your best bet, buy a cheapee, already activated phone with text capability for a few bucks in DR and call it a day!

Reactions: SantiagoDR

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Orange has always been a GSM (sim card) only carrier. Claro switched from CDMA to GSM a few years ago. I believe they still retain a CDMA network for existing customers, but don't issue new CDMA numbers.

In the DR, I believe Centennial is now the primary CDMA provider. You are probably best off bringing an unlocked GSM phone or buying a cheap one in the DR from Orange or Claro.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
My lil bro says yes, his wasnt unlocked and he got it connected.the frequency claro operates at is GSM 1800/1900.I think orange is 900/1900.you palm should be a quadband 850/900/1800/1900 GSM.
honestly I try not to brign nice phones with me to DR,if you lose a prepay no big deal.

i will look into this a little more, thanks for all the help. i'm guessing it kind of depends on which network you go with as some as have said yes and some have said no.

anyone kno if i do get a phone in dr with sim if texting to us numbers any more expensive than numbers on the island?

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
buy a un locked from best buy or circut city.com make sure its quad band and your good to go i think it cost me 300. pesos to get activated.

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
anyone kno if i do get a phone in dr with sim if texting to us numbers any more expensive than numbers on the island?the best option is to get a data plan and send text via internet.