Somebody stole from debit card but how?

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
I don't understand this, i went to the ATM of Banco Progresso in Nagua and withdrew 200 US$. There was nobody around, next morning while i was asleep somebody took 500 US$ in several withdrawals . Nobody absolutely nobody had access to my card, i never ever paid anything with it. Nobody absolutely nobody know my pin. How can this happen? It is an American Bank Account. Is this insured?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I don't understand this, i went to the ATM of Banco Progresso in Nagua and withdrew 200 US$. There was nobody around, next morning while i was asleep somebody took 500 US$ in several withdrawals . Nobody absolutely nobody had access to my card, i never ever paid anything with it. Nobody absolutely nobody know my pin. How can this happen? It is an American Bank Account. Is this insured?

This happens all the time world wide.

What they do is put a device over the original area where you insert the card and it records your info and there is a tint camera installed so they can see you enter your PIN number.

In the middle of the night thedy remove the device and make a card identical to your and they start spending your money.

Always check to see that the atm has not been tampered with.

Never let your credit card out of sight like at a restaurant as they will record your info and do the same thing.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it's a Debit card, right.
a CC would be insured, yes.
but anyways You have to ask this Your American Bank I guess.
You did already report it, right?
what been their answer?
wow,
that's really a sad thing to hear it happens,
and at the ATM attached to a Bank?
I always avoid the stand alone ATM's which are not attached to a Bank, b'c' there's usually day and Night a guachi present so Scammers have less possibilities to mount and retake their equipment for such scam.

I hope You can Recover Your Funds
good Luck
Mike

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Hi Mike

I called them, they say they will make an investigation and maybe i get the money back. They told me they would send me a form to fill out. Never got the form, waiting for one week now. I will call them Monday. It is Bank Atlantic Miami

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well it's a debit card so screwed

you should be fine

my Wachovia debt card was captured here and used in the Ukraine

I seldom use it

but the bank closed off the card .. denied the charges

but it took me months to get the card back up and running

are you ok for funds?

if you have another card...

go into to ANOTHER bank with your Visa or Mastercard and your passport and you can pull money in cash from that

if you are in Las Terrenas (because I am just assuming that you are not actually LIVING in Nagua.. but you might be!) go to Fort Knox in the Paseo and get a lock box with Herve and keep the cash there.

When you are in the Capital, you can buy American Express travelers checks which no one on this board seems to use or even appreciate... but they are FAR safer than any sort of plastic card... just keep the serial numbers seperate and cash one by one with your passport at a local bank......

sorry for your trouble

but if you had been a serious student of DR1, we would have saved you this one since we have TIME and AGAIN warned people about the dangers of using plastic here

if you are a United Staters and are stranded, the Embassy has a fund to advance you money.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
you should be fine

my Wachovia debt card was captured here and used in the Ukraine

I seldom use it

but the bank closed off the card .. denied the charges

but it took me months to get the card back up and running

are you ok for funds?

if you have another card...

go into to ANOTHER bank with your Visa or Mastercard and your passport and you can pull money in cash from that

if you are in Las Terrenas (because I am just assuming that you are not actually LIVING in Nagua.. but you might be!) go to Fort Knox in the Paseo and get a lock box with Herve and keep the cash there.

When you are in the Capital, you can buy American Express travelers checks which no one on this board seems to use or even appreciate... but they are FAR safer than any sort of plastic card... just keep the serial numbers seperate and cash one by one with your passport at a local bank......

sorry for your trouble

but if you had been a serious student of DR1, we would have saved you this one since we have TIME and AGAIN warned people about the dangers of using plastic here

if you are a United Staters and are stranded, the Embassy has a fund to advance you money.

Just wanted to be clear that on the VISA advance, you are not to use the machines..... but go directly to the Bank manager with your passport and ask for a Visa advance

ALSO you should go to the branch manager where the money was taken, make a report, AND perhaps to the police in case you have trouble with your home bank

depends on how much agro you want to go through

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Mountainanni what does that mean? The banl closed your card and denied the charges? and wy it took you months to get your card back and running? I had to fly to miami to get the account and card since i am not a US citizen.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
If it is a MC or Maestro Card your funds will be secured. You should have a number to block the card as it has been frauded... you will get a new card sent out to you, and you will get your money refunded (might take a couple of weeks, though)

Using plastic here is far from ideal, but sometimes the only solution for expats here, as their countries do not support cheques anymore, so please stop bullying the OP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
If it is a MC or Maestro Card your funds will be secured. You should have a number to block the card as it has been frauded... you will get a new card sent out to you, and you will get your money refunded (might take a couple of weeks, though)

Using plastic here is far from ideal, but sometimes the only solution for expats here, as their countries do not support cheques anymore, so please stop bullying the OP

ARE YOU TELLING ME WHAT TO SAY?

I have been here for six years

And you?

I was not bullying him one bit

simply pointing out some issues

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Mountainanni what does that mean? The banl closed your card and denied the charges? and wy it took you months to get your card back and running? I had to fly to miami to get the account and card since i am not a US citizen.

OK not a US citizen but with a US Bank. Have you been able to contact the issuing bank?

My bank denied the charges in the UKRAINE since I had informed them that I was in the DR and they do that now.... from the States anyway. So they blocked the card. It was not one that I regularly use since it is my MAIN checking account into which my retirement funds go....

So yes, they blocked the card.

And I had to have a very very long phone call with them, answering every single security question that they had ... which was an impressively long list...

and then they reissued a card with a new number

with the PIN number embedded

that is how it went..... for me... just used that as an example.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
OK not a US citizen but with a US Bank. Have you been able to contact the issuing bank?

My bank denied the charges in the UKRAINE since I had informed them that I was in the DR and they do that now.... from the States anyway. So they blocked the card. It was not one that I regularly use since it is my MAIN checking account into which my retirement funds go....

So yes, they blocked the card.

And I had to have a very very long phone call with them, answering every single security question that they had ... which was an impressively long list...

and then they reissued a card with a new number

with the PIN number embedded

that is how it went..... for me... just used that as an example.

It took me months to get a new one only because I was here,,,and up in Las Terrenas back when there was no Fed ex or mail box.

They would have overnighted it to my home address in the States but I simply waited until I went back to my sister's to visit.

clear?

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Wow I seldem use my debit card and never use my creditcard when in DR even so my card will not work in DR unless I go to my bank branch and let them know I'm going to DR .