Puerto Plata resorts instead of Punta Cana

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRBounce

Sep 23, 2010
Can anyone here sell me on a resort at Puerto Plata being better than what I would find at Punta Cana? I had intended on going to Punta Cana, but I'm not so sure anymore as it does seem further than I had hoped for from Santo Domingo. So, what are good AI resorts at Puerto Plata?

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
It Depends

on what you are looking for in a resort. On the beach? Good value off the beach?

My wife and I go to Fun Royale-Fun Tropicale in Playa Dorada. Have been going for 14 years. The resort is probably a 3-3.5 star resort at best. However, the staff is awesome. The food is good with quite a bit of variety. The food at the beach is great.

The beach is nice 8-10 minute walk from the resort, but you can ride the shuttle if you don't want to walk. 3-3.5 is good enough for us because we don't spend our vacation in our room.

Playa Dorada is just a few miles outside of Puerto Plata and the city is a fun place to visit. From what I hear about PC, it's only resorts. It's POP for us.

Enjoy your Dominican experience! :)

SB

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
What ever you do DON'T ! GO ! TO ! wyhndom resorts unless you like poor food,little or no running water forget about hot oh also blackouts i know a friend who decided she wanted to stay there instead of allegro puerta plata last week haha it sucked to be her

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If you check the annual precipitation charts for both areas, you will see that there is a greater chance of rain in Puerto Plata than in Punta Cana. If I was just going for a vacation for a few weeks and wanted the best chance for good weather - sun - I would go to Punta Cana.

DRBounce

Sep 23, 2010
Instead of searching numerous pages, do you have a good link where I can see these charts?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I stayed at Victoria which gives you access to the sister hotel Gran Ventana. Vic being a quiet mainly adults resort interio location on the golf course and GV being the bigger hotel on the beach with the entertainment etc... nightly shows etc. but full of kids. Both hotels had good quality food and drinks and were beautiful 4 star resorts. I've heard Blue Bay is nice and it's adults only...it's right on the beach. These 3 hotels are all in Playa Dorada complex. I've also gone to tripadvisor.com before to read other travellers reviews and see pix.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Can anyone here sell me on a resort at Puerto Plata being better than what I would find at Punta Cana? I had intended on going to Punta Cana, but I'm not so sure anymore as it does seem further than I had hoped for from Santo Domingo. So, what are good AI resorts at Puerto Plata?

Santo Domingo - Punta Cana is about the same distance/travel time as Santo Domingo - Puerto Plata. Hotels, beaches and weather are definitely nicer in Bavaro Punta Cana.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
It all depends on what you want to do on your vacation...... If sitting on the beach and at the bar all the time is what you want then Punta Cana resorts are definitely nicer for that kind of holiday, but if you want to explore what the DR is really about then Puerto Plata is a better choice. The north coast has a lot more activities outside the resort than PC, and they are a lot closer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.