Bus From Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata?

smalltruck

Nov 13, 2010
We have read that you guys think it is best to take the bus and not try to drive. I am down for a bus ride. So can someone tell me if the bus runs all night or if the bus company has a web site. We get in at 10:30 PM. We need to end up in Sousa. Thanks for taking the time to help us.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
We have read that you guys think it is best to take the bus and not try to drive. I am down for a bus ride. So can someone tell me if the bus runs all night or if the bus company has a web site. We get in at 10:30 PM. We need to end up in Sousa. Thanks for taking the time to help us.

The bus is the best way to to go. Here is the website for Caribe Tours Bus: Caribe Tours | Bienvenidos It is in Spanish, but its fairly easy to figure out but if you have trouble with it just check back here on the forum. The website shows the last bus leaving Santo Domingo for Puerto Plata at 7:00 PM. The skinny on using the buses is that they blast the airconditioning, so be prepared for a cold, but comfortable and scenic ride. Enjoy!

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Metro buses are nicer than Caribe. The ride is about 4 hours if you don't run into traffic or an accident. The last bus from Santo Domingo leaves at 7pm.

curlyq

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I make that trip often.....You should find a cheap hotel in Santo Dom for overnight stay, about 30 us for ride from airport to hotel in SD and then about 20-30 us for cheap hotel.........Around 150 to 200 pesos for taxi ride to Metro or Caribe Tours, from hotel and less than 10 us for bus ride to Puerto Plata.......

Metro will drop you off in downtown Sosua, if that is your destination and if Caribe Tours, you have a slightly longer taxi ride from bus to wherever in the area.......

Only other way is a taxi or whatever, at night........

and if you take Caribe Tours, keep an eye on your carry on and bus, when they stop for refreshments in Santiogo, because they changed buses on me one time when I went to the restroom....luckily I didn't lose anything, but I will never forget the experience.........