Magic Jack New Issues?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Is anyone else experiencing this?

I've had and been pleased with my Magic Jack for two years, now:

1) drops calls
2) Get a recording that I can't dial that number from my Magic Jack
3) Get a recording that I've reached my limit for the day, try again later.

I don't know if it's my internet connection (Delancer) or Magic Jack.

Any thoughts, remedies, suggestions?

Oh I also have Skype outgoing to the US and Canada and they drop calls too!

Thanks.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Magicjack

Hi:

It sounds like maybe your subscription has ended and you need to subscribe again for addtional years. I use magicjack in the DR and other than not getting a good signal on occasion I have not experienced the problems you are having. I believe you can e-mail magicjack customer service and see if they can help you.

S

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have upped my subscription to 5 years - at a time when I was most pleased with them - and now I see they've raised their prices for 5 years to $69.95.

And yes, I do have a cable modem - but never had problems with them before. Was told that MJ uses less bandwidth than Skype which was why it worked so well - just not now!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
People have low bandwidth internet (the cheapest plan), then they have other people on the wireless who are downloading songs, heavy graphic webpages or even watching youtube videos. These activities alone will make MJ call quality horrible. Now if you have mp3 downloading programs (example: limewire) working in the background then chances are you are uploading file without even your knowledge. the call quality will suffer and the other party will hear your voice cutting from time to time.
People must know what they are doing and must understand how internet works or they will have problems with everything. I have MJ for 2 yrs and never any problems in any country I connect from.
AZB

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
I have found that using a USB 2.0 7 port power hub has helped out a ton
mail

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Google voice says it is not as yet available in my country!

And I just paid for 5 more years with MJ so I'd like to make it work. But thanks for all the suggestions.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a Magic Jack but I have not used it since I installed Google Voice, the free VOIP service. I hope you get your problems worked out with Magic Jack.

Help me out windeguy, I'm a bit confused. I just installed Google Voice and got my Google phone #. From what I can see, when I want to make a call it will call my US house phone [or cell, or whatever] and connect me to the call I want. How does that work in DR? Will they call a DR cell phone to make the call to the US??

AE

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
How do you get Google voice if you're already in the DR. It tells me it's not available in my country, which means it recognizes my Ip address as the DR?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Help me out windeguy, I'm a bit confused. I just installed Google Voice and got my Google phone #. From what I can see, when I want to make a call it will call my US house phone [or cell, or whatever] and connect me to the call I want. How does that work in DR? Will they call a DR cell phone to make the call to the US??

AE

google voice only forwards calls to usa phone number so this answers your question (no DR phone call forward). You can use your google voice in conjunction with gmail, google phone and tell google voice to forward calls to google phone. remember, google voice and google phone are 2 different things. The latter in is gmail so research and download the wiglet of google phone if you are using google chrome browser.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
How do you get Google voice if you're already in the DR. It tells me it's not available in my country, which means it recognizes my Ip address as the DR?

use american proxy to sign up. This way google voice will think you are in usa. Once you have the number, then you can use it from any country in the world.
AZB

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I got an American proxy; I had to send for invite and they say when they open up again I'll get a link to set up google voice. Is there another way in?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I suspect you will have to wait, but AZB is much more into the "tricks of this trade" and perhaps there is a work around.

there is a work around. Just search on google.
Make sure you send you email as gmail on the invitation page.
AZB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the internet connection has been off and on for the last few days in sosua area , so that would explain it.....it goes off for a few seconds ......hasnt happened the last two days. but was off an on about 10 times a day for three days last week

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
OK I sent my info for the invite using my gmail account address; so far nada. How can I speed up the process so I get the invite and then the account set up info, etc. faster? Tried to google workaround re this, not finding what I need.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
OK I sent my info for the invite using my gmail account address; so far nada. How can I speed up the process so I get the invite and then the account set up info, etc. faster? Tried to google workaround re this, not finding what I need.

Actually robert from Dr1 had figured out a way. I wonder if he is willing to share the info, or maybe this approach has been shut down by google by now?
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
it's easy to sign up for Google Voice. I just did a dummy sign up.

STEP 1. First of all, you must access via US proxy. You can use simple solution like a free Virtual private Network via Get Behind the Shield! Hotspot Shield by AnchorFree you will get USA IP address and you do not need to make any browser/config changes on your computer. Simply turn on/off the connection with a button on your desktop.

When connected to proxy or US based VPN, follow to step 2.

STEP 2. Go to http://voice.google.com/ and sign up for NEW GOOGLE ACCOUNTS (blue button). Select the country - USA when filling out the form. As you process you will be asked to select a number by area code, city name, or spelling a word. Please note that not all area codes/states are available with Google Voice yet. For example, Miami, FL area has no numbers available so far. After you select the number, you will be asked to activate the number by entering US based phone number. Google will call you there and you will enter the confirmation number you see on the screen. After that, your account will be activated.

STEP FOR NO USA NUEMBER. If you do not have any USA number that you can answer, you can get a free Washington-state based number from IPKALL. FREE IP Calling with IPKall You will also need a SIP enabled phone to receive your phone calls at. The SIP phone will register witha SIP server, BUT NOT with IPKALL. IPKALL is forwarding-only service. So you can get a free SIP account with Callcentric - VoIP Internet phone service and then use SIP URI FORWARDING to receive calls from IPKALL on callcentric. So you enter IPKALL number into google voice signup. Google voice will call you on IPKALL number which will forward via SIP URI into your callcentric account. You can also use other SIP services which allow to receive calls via SIP URI (from IPKALL, f.x.), such as www.freeworlddialup.com or www.mutualphone.com

Sidebar - For example, your callcentric SIP URI forwarding will look like 177xxxxxxxx@ where 177xxx is your customer number. You enter this URI into IPKALL and you shoudl then be able to receive IPKALL calls on your callcentric account. You register your SIP phone or softphone into SIP server of callcentric. Please see help section on callcentric for setting up SIP URI forwarding and setting up your SIP connection into their SIP server. their help section shows how-to guides for a wide variety of SIP adapters, SIP phones, windows softphones and mobile softphones on Nokia, Iphone, etc.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
it's easy to sign up for Google Voice. I just did a dummy sign up.

STEP 1. First of all, you must access via US proxy. You can use simple solution like a free Virtual private Network via Get Behind the Shield! Hotspot Shield by AnchorFree you will get USA IP address and you do not need to make any browser/config changes on your computer. Simply turn on/off the connection with a button on your desktop.

When connected to proxy or US based VPN, follow to step 2.

STEP 2. Go to http://voice.google.com/ and sign up for NEW GOOGLE ACCOUNTS (blue button). Select the country - USA when filling out the form. As you process you will be asked to select a number by area code, city name, or spelling a word. Please note that not all area codes/states are available with Google Voice yet. For example, Miami, FL area has no numbers available so far. After you select the number, you will be asked to activate the number by entering US based phone number. Google will call you there and you will enter the confirmation number you see on the screen. After that, your account will be activated.

STEP FOR NO USA NUEMBER. If you do not have any USA number that you can answer, you can get a free Washington-state based number from IPKALL. FREE IP Calling with IPKall You will also need a SIP enabled phone to receive your phone calls at. The SIP phone will register witha SIP server, BUT NOT with IPKALL. IPKALL is forwarding-only service. So you can get a free SIP account with Callcentric - VoIP Internet phone service and then use SIP URI FORWARDING to receive calls from IPKALL on callcentric. So you enter IPKALL number into google voice signup. Google voice will call you on IPKALL number which will forward via SIP URI into your callcentric account. You can also use other SIP services which allow to receive calls via SIP URI (from IPKALL, f.x.), such as www.freeworlddialup.com or Calling Card , Asterisk PBX SIP H323 termination A-Z, mobile sip voip , Nokia symbian mobile dialer, talkfree , Ringasia, icallhere ,linksys pap2

Sidebar - For example, your callcentric SIP URI forwarding will look like 177xxxxxxxx@ where 177xxx is your customer number. You enter this URI into IPKALL and you shoudl then be able to receive IPKALL calls on your callcentric account. You register your SIP phone or softphone into SIP server of callcentric. Please see help section on callcentric for setting up SIP URI forwarding and setting up your SIP connection into their SIP server. their help section shows how-to guides for a wide variety of SIP adapters, SIP phones, windows softphones and mobile softphones on Nokia, Iphone, etc.

Rubio, I know exactly what you are talking about and I have done all these tricks but remember, you are talking to people who are still learning about what google voice is and does. Your steps are just too complex for them.
AZB