International Drivers Permit / Licence

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I'm struggling to find details on what I need to do to get one of these for my Domincian driving licence.

My problem is... I leave for the UK in 3 days and I have hired a car for the time I am there. However on checking, my UK licence is now expired (the photocard) so I cannot rent the car using this and there is no time to do the renewal even if I wanted to, so I need to use my DR licence which is valid.

However the rental company require this IDP or intl licence for me to use the DR licence, as it is not in English.. Visits to DGTT website (which has been hacked), and everything else has been fruitless so far.

Has anyone else gone through this one for renting cars overseas or the such like?

Any responses gratefully received as the clock is really ticking on this one....

Thanks in advance

Steve

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Steve,

The IDP is usually issued by an auto association, like Automovil Club. Here's their website in the DR. Call them up.

Autom?vil Club Dominicano

Ooops, just saw the tab Licencia Internacional

Autom?vil Club Dominicano, S. A.

Someone called me back after my posting this morning, went down there and did the application in 3 minutes. Its simple and luckily for me only take 48 hrs so will be ready on wednesday morning to pick up. You just need 2 2"x2" photos, your licence and cedula, plus RD$3700.

And Windeguy, the US seems to be slacker on Spanish driving licences, especially in Miami. I've not had a problem before there or in NY, but seems that the UK is insistent on this. No card, no car.....they said politely this morning....!!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Last September 2009 I hired a car from Avis using the internet with my Dominican Driving License, no problems at all. Picked it up at Milton Keynes and left it at Gatwick.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I rented on line in London's Heathrow Airport from Alamo for two days about two weeks ago with no problems, using my DR Driver lic... No extra stuff asked for!

It could be that I have an existing account with them and since I travel every so often, the new requirements are for spot renters maybe?

Anybody has any new data on this? I use my DR DL in the USA all the time, never been asked for such thing!

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
This rental is with Alamo/National. I confirmed with the rental location this morning and they didn't give any indication of leeway whatsoever. They said if the licence isn't in English the IDP is required. This is not an airport location pickup though, its a small town, to be dropped at Heathrow on the way back.

Reading their policy afterward

Identification required for rental

A full and valid Driver’s License from country of origin, Passport and credit card in renters name. If the driver's license is in a language other than English, an International Driver's Permit is required in conjunction with the country of residence driver's license.

Rental Policies - Driving Record Eligibility | Car Rental in the UK | Europe | USA Car Hire - Alamo Rent A Car

Will definitely be renewing my UK licence while over there, at least I get another 10 years hassle free....

I certainly didn't want to run the risk of arriving and being told I can't take the car. Would have caused me untold nightmares trying to get around.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Two questions: Did you have an account with them when you contract?
If so, where was that IDP check box placed on the rental agreement on line? Like I said, this was two weeks and 3 days ago... At the airport itself!

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
At the airport itself

This may just be the difference.
My son who lives in Japan and only has a Japanese drivers' licence now was not able to rent a car here in Orleans ( Suburb of Ottawa) even though he had everything arranged via internet before his arrival.
They told him to go to the airport location where they might be able to help him. No problem whatsoever there.
So maybe the airport locations will accommodate you without an international drivers licence.
I suppose it's always good to have one when you are traveling, although RD$3700 is a steep price to pay. The CAA issues them for $10 CAD.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
That makes sense! Or maybe the fact that one is already a member also cuts the red tape a bit? I always rent at airport locations.

I'm now finding how to go about getting my DR's DL IDP... Just in case!

*Very informative thread!~

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Two questions: Did you have an account with them when you contract?
If so, where was that IDP check box placed on the rental agreement on line? Like I said, this was two weeks and 3 days ago... At the airport itself!

No, I don't have a contract/account with Alamo/national. Its a one off rental.

I booked through a 3rd party at a reduced rate, I just got my voucher with all the links to the rental terms & conditions etc.. which included the renter information. Like I said, I called the actual pickup location yesterday to confirm and they were very clear that without the required licence terms, I would not be able to take the vehicle.

I suspect that airports are probably more relaxed about the rentals than the rest given the sheer volumes of international licences and the numbers of rentals they do.

Saying that their terms are quite clear on their site, and after a few checks on other companies, they all seem to have similar terms.

And yes I feel that RD$3700 is a lot for the licence, especially given it only has a 12 months shelf life. I suppose I'm just lucky that I can renew my UK licence while I'm there to cover the next 10 years of international travel!!

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Update from the UK....picked up the car on tuesday.

Deliberately "forgot" to give them the International Part......nothing.......

I then proceeded to rip the poor girl a new one about this issue, and the fact I had called repeatedly to confirm this........

Very apologetically she said...."well its always good to have it...but we don't really need it"

Sufficed to say she wouldn't give the US$100 it cost back... and I won't be getting another of these things again...........

FYI......

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Update from the UK....picked up the car on tuesday.

Deliberately "forgot" to give them the International Part......nothing.......

I then proceeded to rip the poor girl a new one about this issue, and the fact I had called repeatedly to confirm this........

Very apologetically she said...."well its always good to have it...but we don't really need it"

Sufficed to say she wouldn't give the US$100 it cost back... and I won't be getting another of these things again...........

FYI......

I stand corrected! I wasn't asked for anything other than the regular stuff when I rented. There was no such gimmick online when I signed on to Alamo to make the reservation either.

Maybe this is something of a new hassle to make people buy the darned things? I have driven in many places and fined as well in many places, and have yet to find such need to make my DR DL valid while in those spots.

I always play the dumb tourist card and so far the fines have been a very low count and easy to take care of. The only place I can tell you to avoid being pulled over for any reason is Riyadh. If you think cops in the DR give you a hard time, you haven't got any idea what a "hard time" means yet...