Please allow me to present 711

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have said this in different threads, but with the looming presence of cholera in neighboring Haiti, I think it is time I talk about it once again.

This is not my magic, it comes from the WHO (World Health Organization) and it is known as ORS--Oral Rehydration Salts....

Given the velocity of the onset of cholera and the violent displays of watery diarrheas and vomiting, rehydration through saline drips is just too slow. They suggest first-aid at once:"711".

7 teaspoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 litre of good water (boiled at least 10 minutes, chlorinated or bottled)

Administered orally until more professional assistance becomes available.

Why? Especially among children the dehydration process is incredibly fast. Hours. When the skin is pinched it remains _^_, a sure sign of serious, near fatal dehydration. The sugary water is attractive to any child. No matter if it goes in one end and out the other. Keep giving it.

Have money? Get some Gatoraid!! Or some Alka-Seltzer and add it into the mix...

But you can save a life with 711. REMEMBER IT, and pass it on!!!

HB

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005

HB

This must surely be translated into both Spanish & Creole and posted in every Colmado

Just a thought!!!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
This is very good HB. thanks.

On the north coast people are talking about how Cholera is in the DR - they are avoiding anyone from Haiti and starting to over react. They say Cholera is untreatable and worse then HIV and AIDS.

I have searched and can find nothing indicating Cholera is here in the DR.

Education is critical and the more we can spread this information the better.

May 29, 2006
The Alka Seltzer for electrolyte replacement is a great idea. I always wondered why it worked better than aspirin. It contains potassium and sodium citrate.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
They showed this treatment on 60 minutes last night, during a segment on the Cholera situation in Haiti...this is exactly what they are administering to those affected.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This is very good HB. thanks.

On the north coast people are talking about how Cholera is in the DR - they are avoiding anyone from Haiti and starting to over react. They say Cholera is untreatable and worse then HIV and AIDS.

I have searched and can find nothing indicating Cholera is here in the DR.

Education is critical and the more we can spread this information the better.

Cholera can be worse than HIV in that it will kill you quickly if not treated immediately.

HB: Excellent reminder...

Aug 21, 2007
Hillbilly- I just want to thank you. Tonight, my Haitian gardener came to me to tell me that he just spoke to his mother in Haiti. She told him that this morning, the neighbor boy died of cholera. And tonight, the boy's mother died.

I gave the gardener your recipe. I told him to call his mother and give it to her. The other brother knows how to write. I said that he should write it down. Then, tomorrow, my gardener will send over to Haiti 1,000 pesos....500 for as many copies as can be made and 500 pesos to pay someone to take the copies and an explanation to every house they can reach.

Just hoping to save lives. And all thanks to you and the information you provided.

Lindsey

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Wow this is crazy....
I just heard to Juan Bautista Rojas Gomez ( DR health minister) talking to a radio show "En la tarde" and what I understood in my Dominican Spanish is that they already have the first colera case registered in the Dominican side of the island. The patient is a man original from Navarrete.

JJ

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Great Gesture

Hillbilly- I just want to thank you. Tonight, my Haitian gardener came to me to tell me that he just spoke to his mother in Haiti. She told him that this morning, the neighbor boy died of cholera. And tonight, the boy's mother died.

I gave the gardener your recipe. I told him to call his mother and give it to her. The other brother knows how to write. I said that he should write it down. Then, tomorrow, my gardener will send over to Haiti 1,000 pesos....500 for as many copies as can be made and 500 pesos to pay someone to take the copies and an explanation to every house they can reach.

Just hoping to save lives. And all thanks to you and the information you provided.

Lindsey

Great Gesture, but even if your haitian gardener actually sends the $, I doubt that the task will be completed as instructed.

Lets hope it is though!

Last edited:

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Recommend volumes per weight and age when signs of dehydration present

THERE IS SOME SIGN OF DEHYDRATION
Approximate amount of ORS solution to give in the first 4 hours
If ORS sachets are available: dilute one sachet in one litre of safe water
? Otherwise: Add to one litre of safe water: ? Salt 1/2 small spoon (3.5 grams)
? Sugar 4 big spoons (40 grams)
And try to compensate for loss of potassium (for example, eat bananas or drink green coconut water)

ORS solution in ml
Less than 4 months
Less than 5 kg
200?400 ml

4?11 months
5?7.9 kg
400?600 ml

12?23 months
8?10.9 kg
600?800 ml

2?4 years
11?15.9 kg
800?1200 ml

5?14 years
16?29.9 kg
1200?2200 ml

15 years or older
30 kg or more
2200?4000 ml

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
When there is NO sign of dehydration: give ORS solution (see Box 1) after each stool
• Child less than 2 years old: 50–100 ml (1/4–1/2 cup) ORS solution. Up to approximately 1/2 litre a day.
• Child between 2 and 9 years old: 100–200 ml. Up to approximately 1 litre a day.
• Patient of 10 years of age or more as much as wanted, up to approximately 2 litres a day.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have said this in different threads, but with the looming presence of cholera in neighboring Haiti, I think it is time I talk about it once again.

This is not my magic, it comes from the WHO (World Health Organization) and it is known as ORS--Oral Rehydration Salts....

Given the velocity of the onset of cholera and the violent displays of watery diarrheas and vomiting, rehydration through saline drips is just too slow. They suggest first-aid at once:"711".

7 teaspoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 litre of good water (boiled at least 10 minutes, chlorinated or bottled)

Administered orally until more professional assistance becomes available.

Why? Especially among children the dehydration process is incredibly fast. Hours. When the skin is pinched it remains _^_, a sure sign of serious, near fatal dehydration. The sugary water is attractive to any child. No matter if it goes in one end and out the other. Keep giving it.

Have money? Get some Gatoraid!! Or some Alka-Seltzer and add it into the mix...

But you can save a life with 711. REMEMBER IT, and pass it on!!!

HB

thanks, HB

have reposted everywhere I could think of

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Today's new reports it is a Haitian that came on a bus from Haiti a few days ago to work on the east coast.
Maybe the one that I heard is a different case, thousands of Haitians crossing the border every day....
Hard to believe that we have one case only.

JJ

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
Maybe the one that I heard is a different case, thousands of Haitians crossing the border every day....
Hard to believe that we have one case only.

JJ

I don't believe for a second theres only one case. My mom works in a hospital here and told me there have been two patients with it already. Maybe the news don't want everyone to panic, but we should all be careful of the things we eat on the street. They should be saying this 711 thing on the radio, it can be a life saver!

May 29, 2006
I've also heard that coconut milk from young coconuts is suppose to be an excelent way to get electrolytes and the right balance of carbs.

May 29, 2006
Yes coconut water, because it's from young coconuts. The stuff can be used in IVs so it has to do some good:

Coconut water is also used as an intravenous hydration fluid in some developing countries where medical saline is unavailable.
--Wiki